I have a problem of communication between After Effects and Illustrator.
I'm working on a project with a lot of animated vector layers, coming from two separated Ai files. My aim is to produce a serie of short videos with the exact same animation, but with different designs which will be changed directly in Illustrator.
So, animation in AE but design in Ai, and when I save the Ai file it update the layers in AE and I can export the result.
I did that and it worked very well for the first 3/4 designs, and after that it suddently broke.
- First, AE stopped updating the version of the layers. But when I double-clicked on a layer in the project panel, it show me the updated version ... and still won't update it in the different comp (nothing has been renamed, vectorized or pixelized)
- On the comp, when I right click the layer and select "open > modify the original", it opens me the Ai file, with my latest design. So the link is still there.
- Now, and without having touched anything, the layers version won't even update when I double-click them on the project panel. It shows me the previous version, and if I right click and go to "replace > file > select my Ai file > select the layer", it still won't update
So it's basically like AE is stuck with a previous version of my Ai file.
> I did try to rasterize the layers in the comps, everything got actualized, but when I updated and saved the Ai design, it still didn't make it to my AE project.
> From time to time, when I turn of AE, make a completely different design in Aim, save it and reopen AE, it will update ... and get stuck again ^^
So, I'm really lost on that. I've got a ton of layers and a ton of versions to export, so I really need this feature to work.
Does anybody has ever experienced this problem ?
I should specify that my layers are a bit complex (it's an illustration), and I'm working on a M1 Mac
Copy link to clipboard
Try cleaning the cache files of After Effects as follow (it might fix the issue) -
1. Close any open project
2. Edit > Purge > All memory and Disk Cache...
3. In the Pop select okay.
Now try opening the project and check if it works.
Thank you for the comment !
I tried and it worked once, but then it got stuck again and redoing the manip multiple times didn't solved it
So, I've updated the AE version and tested it for a fiew days, seems like it was among the bugs that were fixed 🙂
I still have the the layers actualisation issue from time to time after and long use, but the disk cache purge is enough to solve it.
Thank you for the help guys !