• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wacom Intuos failure in After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a Wacom tablet for 7+ years (first a bamboo, now an Intuos pen & touch) in place of a mouse for all my applications. Just in the past month, when I open After Effects, after about 3-5 minutes of use, I'm no longer able to move the cursor using the pen. If I click down, I am still able to click and drag, and in the Wacom diagnostic tool, everything looks perfectly fine. The problem is, the functionality stops across ALL applications and I can't get it back unless I fully restart the computer. This means once I open After Effects, i must switch to a mouse until I have a chance to fully restart my computer, and then I can't open After Effects without breaking my pen tablet's functionality. 

Tried calling Wacom support and all they had me do was uninstall and reinstall my drivers several times. I tried moving my tablet to another computer (Brand new 2020 Imac, fresh install of the newest AE) and am still having the same issue. Is this a bug? Is my tablet broken? It's not that old, I've only had it for a year or two and it's functionality with every other app I use is completely fine. This only occurs with After Effects.

Has anyone else had this issue?

TOPICS
Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Hi all,

Until this bug is fixed, I'm posting both workarounds in this comment and marking it as a correct answer temporarily so that it's helpful for others.

Workaround 1:

Go to System Preferences > Wacom Tablet > Pen and change the click behavior to "Pan/Scroll (Legacy)"

Wacom tablet.png

Workaround 2:

Go to System Preferences > Wacom Tablet > Pen and change the click behavior to "Keystroke" and set the Spacebar key as that keystroke.

wacom keystroke.png

When the bug is fixed, I'll come back to update the thread and the c

Votes

Translate

Translate
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Hi all,

Wacom has released a new driver (v 6.3.43-3) that contains a fix for this issue. Here is the link to download the updated driver: https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/product-support/drivers

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 110 Replies 110
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same here! It was suddenly fixed after reinstalling the driver couple of weeks ago, different drivers. But since I updated my OS it's back. So frustrating! Rebooting about 20 times a day since I'm working in AE most of the day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specs: Wacom Intuos Pro

Driver WacomTablet_6.3.40-2

Macbook Pro 16-inch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do remember where it was fixed suddenly, I tried updating the Firmware with the Wacom Desktop Center, but that didn't work (it says there is an update Intuos Pro M, but when I update it starts downloading, and after i run the installation it says unable to update. I remember this didn't work for ages and suddenly it some worked and after that the bug was gone. But now, with every system update it's gone. New driver, same problem. But now the update firmware is not working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rameez, thanks for the support.

My Wacom driver versione is: 6.3.41-2
Firmware version is: the latest version but I can't find it
After everything crashes, the wacom center does not find any kind of problem on the tablet, I can only use the classic mouse to restart the computer. Unfortunately, working only with the tablet for me After Effects is now unusable.

I had also recorded a video to show the problem, but I don't understand how to upload it because it asks me for a link that I don't have.

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:
We're investigating this issue.

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem! PLEASE HELP I dont own  a mouse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I've been experiencing the same issue, on both Wacom intuos Pen and Touch Medium and also a Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 in case that helps the investigation. 

thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Issue. 

AE - 17.5.1

Mojave 10.14.6

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)

Intuos BT S 

Driver 6.3.41-2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I've come up with kind of a solution. As someone said in this same forum the error ocurs when we try to scroll with the pen so you can deactivate de scroll just for AE in your wacom configuration, this is not a full solution because the scroll will not work but since the are still investigating it can be useful while they come up with a real solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that we're unable to reproduce this in-house. As a result, we'd want to work directly with you. If anyone of you is interested in working directly with an After Effects engineer to figure out what's going on, please reach out to me via a direct message.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Same issue

AE 17.0.6

Macbook Pro (16 - inch, 2019)

Intuos pro PTH - 651

Driver 6.3.41-2

everything works perfectly, but as soon as i open AE the tablet stops working and I have to restart the computer to get it working again.

Thanks

Edoardo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! I have this exact same issue.. Just started working with the Wacom tablet and I absolutely love it, but it doesn't work properly with After Effects 😞 This is indeed literally the only app where this happens. Did anyone find a sollution yet? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this, I can't do my job properly without the tablet!

I'll upload a video. It seems to be working for about two minutes, and I think the moment it stops working is when I scroll in the timeline using the wacom pen. After that I can only click but not move the cursor. I'm switching to a mouse to turn the video off.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, Wacom and mac. both is up to date. 
Is there a work arround for the time being? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The work-around I use is to set the pen buttons to clicks (instead of scroll) and I don't get the issue.

It means you have to scroll using the scrol bars but no issues with the cursor disappearing. It's not perfect but at least you can still use the tablet.

hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macbook Pro 2015 AE 2020 Same thing....works then sticks....restart works then sticks...I think the other user might be right that it's a scroll/timeline issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue also.

Try clicking on "reset settings" in Wacom Desktop Center instead of uninstall & reinstall your drivers. 

My pen is working perfectly after doing so

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didnt worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, I'm not alone with this problem! I almost buy a new wacom for the issue... When i use wacom in After Effects, my tablet suddenly have a problem about moving cursor. My tablet's hovering doesn't work and i have to restart my mac. I had tried all solutions but don't work.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've discovered whats actually breaking it....when you scroll UP or DOWN in the timeline that is what triggers the issue...and only way to fix it is by restarting your whole computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in particular it's when I hold down the side button..thats the instant it breaks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Is there already a solution to this problem?

When i open AE my wacom stops working properly. 

I updated both AE and my wacom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem, both on my macbook and my mac mini. I really hope Adobe or Wacom comes up with a sullution for this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines