• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I hit play it only plays for a couple seconds and stops

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded After effects from Adobe and when I only have a couple picture layers, and barely any animation, the playback shows the green bar for about 7 seconds and it only plays until the end of the green bar, it doesn't keep pre composing or caching. If the composition is 3 minutes, it'll only play 7 seconds and make it green from where you hit play then stop at the end. Unless I move the cursor and hit play it'll play 7 seconds from that point and stop. I've called adobe and they told me to delete and reset my preferences and rename the folder, I've cleared my cache, I've udjusted playback to 1/4. I have 64GB DDR2 Ram with a 32 core threadripper cpu and rtx 2080ti gpu. I used to be able to do more complex things with after effects on my old Mac with only 8gb and an i7. Any reason when I hit play it only plays for about 7 seconds where the green bar is on the timeline? 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, Intel is the only CPU optimized for After Effects.

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/system-requirements.html

However, the short preview time may be due to CPU and RAM compatibility.

If it is a compatibility issue, it may be improved by updating to a new BIOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I have a friend that has the same setup as mine with a amd threadripper and it works great. My computer works perfect with premier, C4D and other 3D programs that are more intense than after effects so I don't get it lol. I guess I'll have to sell the $7k computer I just built for a good ole Mac 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is this issue on this project or all project have same issue, also we need to know more about your project work flow, so try to post some screenshoot show us how many layer you have and what kind of effects you use, all this thing can affect the preview time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens with all projects. Even if I just have a couple shape layers and a picture layer. This is the only picture I have now. The green bar renders fast, but only for that small section and stops at the end. It won't continue to keep going to the end of the timeline 

DA2C97BC-3956-47A2-8687-81A7BD474AC4.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On resolution, the window with the RGB colors where u have written half, try to change to third or quarter. It worked form me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me too. Thank you I was having the same issue and was looking for solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude just saved my life and gave me some valuable knowledge out of nowhere. Bless you king 👑

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2023 Aug 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand what you're referring to? Can you be more clear? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They're referencing the resolution/down sample popup:

cinematim_0-1700673221584.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a screenshot of the preview panel, please. And give us details about your composition. What size, what footage in it and so on.

Also, open info panel and see by yourself if AE is rendering or already in playback. It's not unusal that preview rendering (even in small resolution) takes minutes.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's literally only 3 pictures, a logo and a simple opacity edit. No video viles or complex animations. I've toggled the cache options and nothing changed. 

926AC4D1-C2D5-40F3-B107-2452D77D4DDC.jpeg

0C32B9B4-4A2F-482B-ADFA-26C03E65826A.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beside purging memory, check "Cache Before Playback" in preview panel. Open Info-Panel and keep an eye on it to see if AE renders preview, or already is in playback mode. Also, open task manager and keep an eye on RAM usage. Also, make sure AE cache is on a fast drive and have plenty of space allocated (rule of thumb: as much as possible).

Let it render.

It's worth to spend a bit time with the preview settings. I have 0 Numblock for "large renderings", where it renders from beginning on and caching before playback. And I have Spacebar for "short renders" where it renders from current time position and is not caching before. I only use this for very quick views of a particular animation, like a 20 frames scale up.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked the box and nothing changed. Ram usage is only like 10%. It is on a ssd with 500gb available. Even with no animations and just still picture layers, it has the same issue. It only renders for about 7-15 seconds and doesn't contintue down the timeline to the out market. I have no other programs open and the computer was just built. Spent $7k to make sure I wouldn't have any speed issues. When I use premier and cinema 4d with large files and animations, it works great. Only after effects has issues on the timeline playback. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much RAM is allocated to AE (you'll find this setting in preferences)?

Can you descripe in detail, what is happening? Make a new project, new comp, 1080p, add a solid only. 

You hit 0 numblock, or spacebar. Info panel shows what? What happens in the timeline (time indicator does what, what color does it have), what happens when time indicator hits the end of the green line.

If you can, make a video of this.

Side note: AE is not comparable to PPro, or any 3D software. It has its very own requirements to hardware. There is no perfect computer for both, cinema and AE, at the same time, sadly. Where you can profit from many cores and strong GPU in Cinema, AE requieres very high clock rates, doesn't hardly profit from many cores, and cannot utilize a recent GPU in any noticable amount. Instead, it's eating up your RAM and screems for more all the time.

Most people in this forum running into issues with AE are AMD or MAC users.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you tried purging Ae from All Memory and Cache? Menu Edit / Purge / All Memory and Cache...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seven seconds on a modest system for a 4K comp at half resolution is pretty respectable. After Effects is not a video editing app, it is a motion graphics and compositing app. You'll have to learn how to work around the preview limitations. I started using After Effects before there was a ram preview. There are plenty of ways to work around the problem.

I suggest that you start here: Learn AE. You'll get a pretty good idea of how to use AE efficiently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines