• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where are After Effects files automatically saved?

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Adobe After Effects CC 2017, and auto-save is turned on by default. The path of auto-save is marked as "Next to Project". My computer turned off yesterday, because of electricity. So where can I find my lost project?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Wherever you last saved your project.

I'm not sure whether or not After Effects will auto-save an untitled project..maybe it does.

Regardless, when you start a new project you always save it in it's own folder and name it.

Then you can keep any assets & project related files all in one place & autosave will have a project to "save next to".

If you screwed up or don't know what you're doing & were working on an "untitled project" you could try opening AE,  hitting CTRL+ALT+N  to start a new project,

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wherever you last saved your project.

I'm not sure whether or not After Effects will auto-save an untitled project..maybe it does.

Regardless, when you start a new project you always save it in it's own folder and name it.

Then you can keep any assets & project related files all in one place & autosave will have a project to "save next to".

If you screwed up or don't know what you're doing & were working on an "untitled project" you could try opening AE,  hitting CTRL+ALT+N  to start a new project,  then immediately go (as you always should) to File>SaveAs  & see what folder it defaults to.  If there's something saved it might be there.  Otherwise it might be in Documents\Adobe\AfterEffects (or whtever file path is greyed out in the autosave preference dialogue).   You could also search your computer for ".aep" files.

After that....you're out of luck. Live & learn.

REMINDER:  When you start a project always save it immediately with a unique name in a dedicated project folder.   Then when auto-save, which is set to save "next to project",  saves,  there will be a "project" for it to save "next to".

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gutterfish:

no it doesn't.

AE doesn't automatically save files that have not been saved by the user. this means: untitled files, are not saved... and by extension files that have been converted from older AE versions do not save. I 'get' why this is, but it's poor implementation to say the absolute minimum. And if I'm being completely honest, unbridled fury is fueling my comments. I've just lost some work that will be vary difficult to reproduce with precision, due to a crash caused by AE, with no backups due in no small part to Adobe's inability to understand that 'converting a file from an older version of After effects' does not immediately register to the user as an unsaved, new project. this is AE CC 2018, btw. a Completely bug-ridden mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not exactly sure what you just said but I was able to gleen that you lost some work.  Bummer.

BTW I never said After Effects saves untitled projects.  I said I wasn't sure.

I also manually save (CTRL+S) every 20 minutes or so just out of habit.

Finally, if I've learned anything in my short time here among you humans it's this:

Outside the context of telling someone a difficult truth...like that they smell or that they're stupid,...

whenever someone starts a sentence with "and if I'm being completely honest", the next sentence is usually an exaggeration if not complete baloney.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you said: "maybe it does"

I was clarifying it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ebluBeta  wrote

you said: "maybe it does"

I was clarifying it for you.

I see. Thanks, that's good to know.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this just happened to me in 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Auto Save on:

-Documents\Adobe After Effects Auto-Save

And select the last created file.

I also had some issues since the After Effects does not automatically opens the last auto-save part of the project but instead the part where you saved it manually. Hope I could Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

To have the program auto-save, you have to set it up.  Edit > Preferences > Auto-Save > then pick your settings

If you do not have it set-up then you are poop out of luck.  I just switched to CC 2018 and forgot to hook it up.  I checked all adobe source folders, even in appdata.  Nothing.

Also, the auto-save will auto-save an untitled project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

coreye58664253  wrote

Also, the auto-save will auto-save an untitled project. 

That one catches alot of people.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I had autosave turned on to save "next to project" yet it did NOT save.

I hate things and stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a way. Install a software like ëverything" then search for .aep files. then click on date modified and you should have a temp file whether you saved it or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a linc to that software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit late for this topic but I found a way to recover an unnamed file with a few limitations.

Only condition is you pushed the comp you were working with into media encoder before crashing:

Do a right click on the comp listed in MediaEncoder and choose "Show Source File" (Hope this is translated correctly since I'm using the German version).

It should prompt you a temp folder where your composition is saved.

(tmpAEtoAMEProject-COMPNAME.aep)

This will unfortunately only bring back this comp only and the media used for it but for some people this might do the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you soooooo mmmmuch!!!

You saved me hours of work.  I was so @#$%#@!&^!!

Going to Media Encoder and right clicking on the Ae file and selecting "reveal source file" found my unsaved Ae project in : AppData>Local>Temp>my file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, thank you. I found my projects file with closing Media Encoder in one of the temp folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brooo!!! I LOVE U SOOO MUCHH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got a crash on unsaved document and i found the autosave at
C:\Users\-username-\AppData\Local\Temp\Untitled Project_AME

Hope it helps somebody.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2024 Mar 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey bro, i followed ur steps but I cant find the last one untitled files_ame, there are so many empy files but not that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

perhaps your AE crashed before it could autosave the doc. No idea man, sorry.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Pls respond i need

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines