• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 10- After Effects 11-Quicktime install?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use After Effects 11 on Windows 10. Is it worth installing Quicktime on Windows 10? I'm asking because of the security hole. In the past, I always rendered in Quicktime format. What are the alternatives?

TOPICS
Dynamic link , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What security hole? You're not making any sense and need to explain.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example, here is information about this security vulnerability:

"Already, at the time of the Windows version's discontinuation, two such zero-day vulnerabilities (both of which permitted arbitrary code execution) were identified and publicly disclosed by Trend Micro; consequently, Trend Micro strongly advised users to uninstall the product from Windows systems."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's likely completely irrelevant as long as we're talking about you rendering your own files and importing files from trusted sources, to be honest. Where would you even get such a "bad" file or stream these days? Unless you're visiting some very dark places on the Internet I'd consider this unlikely. It helps to gauge the real threat vs. a very theoretical scenario some security nerd has dug up. And it's not like you have many options, anyway. If you really mean AE 2011 or even the actual v11 CS6 you are going to need QT for something as basic importing MP4 files and a few other formats. Back then AE didn't have "native" importers/ exporters. So use it or lose it.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you're saying that normally there is no security threat? In other words, in the default situation, Quicktime does not provide the possibility of damage, does it not open a "hole" in the default situation in the Windows system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The browser you typed your reply in has more critical security issues than AE and that browser runs on an operating system that has known issues and may run on an unupdated BIOS with leaks and a processor with a hardware bug. It's all about layers and evaluating potential risks. Again, unless you open a compromised QT file in AE nothing will happen.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I only wrote about the Quicktime security flaw, not After Effects. Adobe also wrote about the Windows Quicktime vulnerability. I understood your answer. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines