• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Working with multiple Ai artboards for animation in Ae

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am working on creating an animation that has various parts. This is my first time using after affects. I have already made artboards or various scenes from the animation in illustrator. Now I am trying to import these files into Ae  for animation. 

1. Which is the best way to import files? Should I make a new Ai file for each artboard or should I import the file that contains all the artboards?

2. I tried both versions, but when I open them in Ae the file that contains all artboards only show one of the artboards that I can edit, and when I open individual file, I see the individual file, but for some reasons I cannot select the elements.

Can anyone guide me towards an animation that is made using multiple Ai artboards?

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import and export , Preview , Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

my suggestion is to draw a bigger artboard to cover all of the artboards. then set this big artboard as the second in the sequence. then AE will only recognize this big artboard(AE only recognize the second one of the sequence, I don't know the reason). next, you can import the shapes correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In general AE doesn't do well with multiple artboards from Illustrator.

Usually I use the option in ILlustrator's Save As to export each artboard as a separate file. It's on the secondary menu that pop up when you save an Ai file.

I then import the AI files into AE using the Composition (Retain Layer Sizes) option. This will convert the AI file into an AE composition and each layer from AI into a layer in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Artboards are just virtual drawing regions that AE can't interpret. As already pointed out, you should splice out your artboards to individual files. That also has the added benefit of not potentialyl messing up so much if you need to go back and change something.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

my suggestion is to draw a bigger artboard to cover all of the artboards. then set this big artboard as the second in the sequence. then AE will only recognize this big artboard(AE only recognize the second one of the sequence, I don't know the reason). next, you can import the shapes correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines