• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OpenColor IO color management

Contributor ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switch the internal color management for OCIO.
At the very least let us choose the CM engine.
The old one is fine, not sure why people ***** about it so much, they should learn to use it first I guess.
I find it more powerful than the one in Nuke. It worked for me just fine all these years, apart from the instances when all color profiles disappeared after an update 😉
That said, currently ACES workflow is impossible to achieve.
The ACES icc profiles provided are wrong, you can't get proper colors from ACES clips.
Maybe it's a limitation of the ICC format since there is a strong gamma transform in this workflow and I think this is where the Adobe ACES profiles fail.
We could pester you for better ACES profiles, but then we'd have to do that with every ACES revision.
So why not just implement OpenColorIO like everyone else.
I know we have the OCIO plugin but that is not the same.
When I work with AE color management, it works in the background, I hardly have to do anything, the ocio plugin workflow forces me to be carefull with every new layer I use, it's exhausting.
Please incorporate OpenColorIO into After Effects, same workflow, same UI as the current system, Just let us swith the engine from legacy to OCIO, and then we'll just be able to use OpenColorIO oficail color profiles - problem solved.
Idea Released
TOPICS
Workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Hi all,

Native OCIO color management was released with After Effects 23.2. More details on additional OCIO functionality, like the OCIO CDL Transform effect, are available here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/opencolorio-aces-color-management.html.

Thanks again for your requests and feedback,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
7 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I agree on all your points. ACES with the same system for colour management we have. Also we need updated profiles, all RED LOG profiles are missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, very soon I hope to see some development about integrating ACES 2065-1 in Adobe Creative Cloud. PPpro, AE, Photoshop, AME, etc. It is a must for color management. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In yesterday's release of the After Effects public beta, OCIO support is now here! Give it a try and give Adobe your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very happy to announce that this feature is now available in Beta. Please head over and give it a try!
https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-beta-discussions/welcome-to-native-ocio-aces-support-in...

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Just at comment to OCIO support and color managed workflow:

AE color management don't work with "video out".  When working with a second monitor or blackmagic video output you just get "none" in color porfile. This is a big problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

Native OCIO color management was released with After Effects 23.2. More details on additional OCIO functionality, like the OCIO CDL Transform effect, are available here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/opencolorio-aces-color-management.html.

Thanks again for your requests and feedback,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate