• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please bring all OpenType features to After Effects

LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typography is an important part of many animations. With the great amount of options designers have with OpenType-Fonts every aspect of a font should be accessible in a modern animation software.

Please add all OpenType-Options as seen in the Photoshop Character Panel to be natively accessible in After Effects.
Idea No status
TOPICS
Workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
17 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be a very nice extention for all Motiondesigners using AE ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And have them easily animatable, please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe in the next 30 years those lazy motherf***ers will add this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2021. I'll set a Siri reminder to come back and visit this topic in another 5 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please. Currently having to bring them in with Overlord, then I need to go back in and copy and paste over all of each layer (word) work to get the right look.

Tedious!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Buys Magento for $1.68 Billion – here is where After Effects new features money gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Lord. Essential feature in "already suggested several years ago and completely ignored by Adobe" shocker!

The idea that parity of type functionality between CC apps needs to be *requested* just boggles my mind.

Adobe is still a design company, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With fonts becoming more versatile these days this is a must!
Recently I had a client that used a font that used glyphs and I had to save each letter in a different program first then bring it over to AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need this! I work a lot with fonts in AE, and it is frustrating!
Please, Adobe, you can do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bring all OpenType features and variable fonts, how is this so hard to understand? Adobe is horrible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A big part of my work in AE is animating texts. I work with many designers and most of them work in Illustrator and InDesign. I receive artwork created by them which often contains other glyphs that are part of the character set, but when bringing them to AE, they get swapped to the default characters. This obviously changes the look of certain words, and messes up the entire workflow. Because in order to animate a word, I need to outline it, therefore losing the ability to apply type animators. The same goes to MOGRTs in Premiere. I would love to be able to bring specific glyphs from any other adobe program - in the same way it was set up. 

Please please please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I know if you use the same font you should get the same in AE, anyway since you import a lot of text from illustrator try to use this plugin https://www.battleaxe.co/overlord it allows you to import the illustrator shapes and text in a better way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks OussK,

I do use Overlord for shapes! but this is a problem specific to Open Type fonts. And yes, the font is installed in my computer - otherwise I wouldnt be able to preview it in Illustrator or InDesign. You see, with Open Type fonts (not True Type Fonts) there can be several "versions" of the same character. For example, you can have 2 different shapes for number 3, or 2 different shapes of letter y... Capital letters can sometimes have 3 or 4 different shapes: some with flourishes and swashes. These are not recognised in AE at all... I do not wish to have to outline the text every time i use a differeent glyph, so it would be great if After Evvects had the capability to access all these other glyps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's right After effects not fully supporting the open-type font and this kind of effect and glyph will be lost unless it outlines, I think you should request this feature 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old, old limitation in AE. It just doesn't fully support all OpenType features with the rationale being that there's no good way to handle glyph substitutions with text animators. I think we#re getting there, though, and full support isn't that many versions away. things are already massively better than they were three or five years ago.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glyphs, at the very least, please. I dislike having to fire up Illustrator just to get some glyphs to copy and paste into AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is absolutely mind boggling that this isn't exist. What am I even paying for?

Votes

Translate

Translate