Highlighted

Advanced Lightning Glitch

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe Community!

I'm trying to use the advanced lightning effect to highlight some storm compositions, but the second I change any parameters the lightning disappears. If I shift magnification it also disappears. I'm viewing it in the comp window (not layer window), have restarted AE and my computer, uninstalled AE, and have attempted this over multiple versions of AE (2020 and 2019). Both instances have given me glitches making the effect inoperable. I've attached a video below as well as some photos.

I'm operating on a MacBook pro Mid 2014, Mojave, all recent updates of AE

32 bit project (I know the effect is only 8 bit supported, but that shouldn't cause this issue)

Video Rendering and Effects in Project Settings - Mercury GPU Acceleration (Metal)

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Hopefully, I'm just making some bonehead setting issue!

G

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 6.27.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-14 at 6.27.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-14 at 6.29.11 PM.png

TOPICS
Error or problem, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Advanced Lightning Glitch

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe Community!

I'm trying to use the advanced lightning effect to highlight some storm compositions, but the second I change any parameters the lightning disappears. If I shift magnification it also disappears. I'm viewing it in the comp window (not layer window), have restarted AE and my computer, uninstalled AE, and have attempted this over multiple versions of AE (2020 and 2019). Both instances have given me glitches making the effect inoperable. I've attached a video below as well as some photos.

I'm operating on a MacBook pro Mid 2014, Mojave, all recent updates of AE

32 bit project (I know the effect is only 8 bit supported, but that shouldn't cause this issue)

Video Rendering and Effects in Project Settings - Mercury GPU Acceleration (Metal)

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Hopefully, I'm just making some bonehead setting issue!

G

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 6.27.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-14 at 6.27.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-14 at 6.29.11 PM.png

TOPICS
Error or problem, Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't scale the layer with Advanced Lightning. It should be the same size as the comp. 

When you post screenshots it is helpful to name the layers and to show us all modified properties by pressing 'uu' so we can see what you are doing. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I didn't clarify. I haven't changed any parameters. It does this immediately upon adding the effect to a solid layer - even if the solid layer is scaled to fit the comp. I scaled it solely out of frustration with it not working haha. Any other thoughts are much appreciated. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to change the Video rendering from GPU accelerator to Software Only, go to file/project settings then follow the image below 

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 8.01.15 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately still no luck! But thank you. Any other thoughts are much appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you are getting at. You are zoomed to 25% at quarter resolution and the layer with the lightning is scaled in addition. This gives you a post-stamp sized area to work with. Incorrect previews therefore are inevitable. Start by actually setting your resolution to Full and your zoom to 100%.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I zoomed out to 25% because that is the only way that the lightning effect would display for some reason. I wasn't working in that magnification. When the resolution is set to full and zoom is at 100% there is still no lightning. Confused that it wasn't displaying, I zoomed out and bingo there was the effect. But then when zooming back to 100%, toying with parameters, or even scrolling on the timeline, the lightning suddenly disappears, never to be seen again even after resetting parameters.

I've purged - so I know it's not a glitch preview frame. I didn't alter any parameters before this issue started. Immediately after applying the effect to a layer, the lightning will not display unless set to this strange zoom. Scaling the layer down was also done out of frustration during trying to get it to work. It's not a scaling issue. This happened when the layer was scaled to comp. Nor is it a preview or cache issue - I've purged multiple times.

I'm starting to believe that I have a corrupt file. I haven't come across anyone else with similar glitches. Thanks for your thoughts. Any other potential problem solves are much appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2020 0