• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Stuck Off Screen

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened After Effects on my 15 inch macbook pro, and the only part of the application window I can see the very bottom. I can't work in it, and I can't even find the options to resize the window. It's just stuck off screen.

The only solution I found is to System Preferences > Displays > Scaled... Then I choose another size text and if I go smaller it's fully on screen but obviously much bigger text and less work area. Please help.

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

'another option is to grab any portion of the window you can and hold down OPTION+SHIFT keys and drag, which will resize the window in any direction'

Found the above from How to Resize a Window That is Too Big or Off Screen in Mac OS

Worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

I figure it out, When it happened, just hold option key and double click bottom-edge of the window, it should works.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try calling up another workspace under the workspace menu or even just resetting the current workspace

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not an expert, but can you add a second monitor using a cable and find it there?

Or try Window>Zoom

Or change the display resolution

I expect there are real Mac experts who will see your post, but I'd try those things

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the thoughts. Unfortunately, I did try the workspaces approach and zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The housekeeping thing you need to do is get a post every few hours to keep your question high enough up that it stays on the list everyone sees.  Once you drop off it's pretty much over, your only option is to call tech support, and unless that has improved lately I would crawl across broken glass naked before I'd pick up the phone to do that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Force Resize Windows to Fit On Screen in Mac OS X

How to Move an Off Screen Window Back Onto the Active Mac Screen in OS X

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I tried the options listed there, too, but it didn't fix it. I did go through restarting the computer during the height of my problem yesterday, which also didn't work.

What did seem to work though is to do the scaled display option, choose the option that has me lose the real estate and makes everything bigger, then save the project like this, quit the app, put the display settings back to normal, then open it again.

Sure, we can work around it by jumping through hoops, but this is probably a programming error on either Apple's or Adobe's side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tbvsm  wrote

What did seem to work though is to do the scaled display option,

So it worked.   As for jumping through hoops...I'm not a "Mac Guy", never owned one but I have helped a friend occasionally with trouble shooting on her MBP and you're right.   The impression I got was that Apple sort of hides things from the user and makes them very inaccessible.  I imagine this is what accounts for Apples famously "stable" OS.   Windows makes it much easier to tinker around with stuff but I suppose at the risk of screwing something up.

I've walked past the Apple Store in the mall...I don't understand how a single trip there to get some simple thing fixed or swapped out wouldn't instantly make someone a Windows user.   If I had to spend 10 minutes in one of those places I'd end up in a psych ward & banned from the property.  I'm one of the few who really doesn't like apples products...I don;t want my machines assuming they're smarter than me.  They're logical...but they should refrain from making assumptions about what I want and what I'm capable of. Fapple

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If someone is adept enough with technology to master After Effects they should consider building their own computer.  It is not that difficult and I suspect you get twice the machine for the same price as a store bought Mac.  Twenty or thirty years ago there was a huge difference in the user interface, I do not see it any more.  Maybe for laptops, but I wonder how much serious work you can do on a laptop.  I now use an ipad to do most things on the web, but have a home built Windows for all my Adobe work, and I try not to do much on the web with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this one worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'another option is to grab any portion of the window you can and hold down OPTION+SHIFT keys and drag, which will resize the window in any direction'

Found the above from How to Resize a Window That is Too Big or Off Screen in Mac OS

Worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant "'another option is to grab any portion of the window you can and hold down OPTION+SHIFT keys and drag, which will resize the window in any direction'" This worked great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! Finally something worked 🙌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMAZING!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only think that has worked for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2019 Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried many of the above. This issue only seems to happen to me when I have been using multiple screens earlier in the day.

Tonight I just used Airplay to add a second screen. Oriented my second display so I could see off the screen portion of After Effects and resized before disconnecting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figure it out, When it happened, just hold option key and double click bottom-edge of the window, it should works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - this worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a 15" macbook pro 2017 if that's any help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines