• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best specs for After Effects / Cinema4D ?

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings! 
I'm working mainly with Adobe After Effects, but i want to start working on Cinema4D and i'm looking for the best possible solution. Since my laptop is extremely slow on After Effects.

My current specs: 17" Laptop MSI GE72MVR
I7-7700 Quad Core 2.8
16 GB Ram 

GTX 1070 8GB 

1x M.2 SSD 250GB

1xHDD 1TB

I have a $5000 budget to upgrade my computer.
Possible options after my research: 

Intel Xeon (12 Cores) : 3.5-4.6 GHz
Intel Core i9 (10 Core): 3.7-5.3 GHz

Video: RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB / Quadro RTX  4000 8GB / Quadro RTX  5000 16GB 

Ram: 32GB DDR4 - 2666
HDD: 1TB M.2 PCIe

I'm not a heavy user, but I would like to be able to use most of AE Cinema4D tools in my projects and still run smoothly.
P.S.: Never owned apple products, is Macbook pro 16 even worth being mentioned? 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please refer to the millions of performance-related posts on this forum! What do you even hope to get out of a 12 core Xeon when AE barely uses parallel processing? What do you hope to achieve with an RTX card, wehn it's not even compatible with AE's Raytrace 3D and said feature has been deprecated for several versions now? Likewise, what good would it do when AE's GPU featurtes are extremely limted? For AE none of that makes any sense and in fact performance may be even worse than what you currently have. Whatever issues or slowdowns you have cannot be fixed by throwing expensive hardware at AE. Chances are, the behavior is perfectly normal within how AE works, anyway. First and foremost AE still is reliant on the fastest single/ dual core processor performance and lots of RAM, but even then some effects will just take their sweet good time to process. In any case, since you haven't been specific, we can't advise on how to optimize. It's quite possible that simply investing in some third-party plug-ins with optimized algorithms could do way more for you than wasting money on useless hardware.

Other than that your proposed system would be nice for 3D work, but there's another kink in your plan: You have to have the latest commercial version of C4D, not the free C4D Lite to even use some of the features like GPU accelerated rendering or even rendering on all cores. So unless you invest on that front, upgrading your hardware wouldn't make much sense, either. And even then it becomes a matter of what you actually do. Unless you are doing heavy rendering every day, your Xeon will not have much to do, either. Modeling functions, animation tools or other user-interactive features typically skew towards best single core performance, too, for mathematical reasons.

See, it's not as easy as saying "Shut up and take my money!". So for what it's worth, I would urge you to give it much more thought and do some research on the subject. A balanced out midrange system that handles all scenarios well will be much more useful than an overspecced expensive machine that never can play to its strengths...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for such a detailed answer

I've decided not to go along with this purchase at the moment. 
I've upgraded my laptop with 32 GB RAM and changed my second 5400rpm hdd with an SSD, giving me some time while doing a proper research. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines