Highlighted

Can't move anchor point?

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using CS4.

When I try to select an anchor point, any actions I take immediately highlight the position and move the position - not the anchor point. I am using the selection tool - doesn't matter if I select via the layers or via the display - same thing happens.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Rick Gerard | Adobe Community Professional

If you use the Pan Behind Tool (keyboard shortcut is the y key) and grab the anchor point, the anchor point moves relative to the layer but the layer's apparent position in the composition doesn't move. If you check the position values in the timeline you'll see that they change as you drag the anchor point around the layer.

Screen Shot 2012-03-09 at 7.03.29 AM.png

If you grab the anchor point values in the timeline the relative position of the layer appears to move in the composition window but the position values don't change because the position of the anchor point isn't moving in relation to the composition.

The position value of a layer is always the position of the anchor point relative to the composition. The anchor point value is the position of the anchor point relative to the layer. Rotation and scale both center around the anchor point.

I hope this helps.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can't move anchor point?

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using CS4.

When I try to select an anchor point, any actions I take immediately highlight the position and move the position - not the anchor point. I am using the selection tool - doesn't matter if I select via the layers or via the display - same thing happens.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Rick Gerard | Adobe Community Professional

If you use the Pan Behind Tool (keyboard shortcut is the y key) and grab the anchor point, the anchor point moves relative to the layer but the layer's apparent position in the composition doesn't move. If you check the position values in the timeline you'll see that they change as you drag the anchor point around the layer.

If you grab the anchor point values in the timeline the relative position of the layer appears to move in the composition window but the position values don't change because the position of the anchor point isn't moving in relation to the composition.

The position value of a layer is always the position of the anchor point relative to the composition. The anchor point value is the position of the anchor point relative to the layer. Rotation and scale both center around the anchor point.

I hope this helps.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You use the pan behind tool to move anchor points.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I selected that tool, and then the anchor point and it didn't move at all. Nothing that I could see moved.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to do anything with that tool at all. I'm wondering if I have a messed up setting or something?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of layer are you working with? Could you provide some screenshots?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the answer: uncheck collapse transformation in the layer you want to move the anchor point. sdsdsdw.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
yooloo LATEST
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved my problem, thank you!

*Pan behind tool not working. Keeps selecting other layers. Not moving anchor point.* (for people searching the answer)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines