Highlighted

Editing AE Template from Adobe Stock

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I just purchased what I think is a very cool template for an opening title for a podcast I plan to do, but I can't figure out how to edit it in After Effects. To be fair, I am an AE beginner and so may be missing something obvious, but when I open it to see the layers, I can see, for example, where it says some primary text that I would like to edit should be, but no clear way to see the text and edit it. Similarly, the online template shows the titles in several different colors and I can't figure out how to change those either.

FYI, here's a link to the specific template on Adobe Stock: https://stock.adobe.com/templates/technology-intro-title/231966935?prev_url=detail

Finally, in trying to do some of my own research before I posted this I found some people mentioning that some templates come with customization instructions, but unfortunately, this one did not.

Any ideas on how to get started? Any and all ideas/suggesions appreciated.

Bob

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Editing AE Template from Adobe Stock

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I just purchased what I think is a very cool template for an opening title for a podcast I plan to do, but I can't figure out how to edit it in After Effects. To be fair, I am an AE beginner and so may be missing something obvious, but when I open it to see the layers, I can see, for example, where it says some primary text that I would like to edit should be, but no clear way to see the text and edit it. Similarly, the online template shows the titles in several different colors and I can't figure out how to change those either.

FYI, here's a link to the specific template on Adobe Stock: https://stock.adobe.com/templates/technology-intro-title/231966935?prev_url=detail

Finally, in trying to do some of my own research before I posted this I found some people mentioning that some templates come with customization instructions, but unfortunately, this one did not.

Any ideas on how to get started? Any and all ideas/suggesions appreciated.

Bob

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 19, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a MoGRT (Motion Graphics Template) file. You can edit MoGRTs in either PPro or AE. You should use the Essential Graphics Panel to access editable properties within the template which have been placed there by the MoGRT developer. HTH

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much; hadn't tried opening/editing in Premiere Pro so will try that.

Bob

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the MOGRT in Premiere Pro is pretty straight forward. Just add it to the timeline, then open up the Graphics workspace and start playing with the knobs.

Motion Graphics Templates are not directly usable in After Effects. The latest versions of AE will open a Mogrt, but they convert it to an AEP file and you end up with a comp. If that is what you want to do, edit the AEP that created the MOGRT, then don't import but instead go to File>Open and select the MOGRT file. This will extract the AEP and the assets and give you an AEP that you can edit.

The very first thing you should do to try and understand a template is to open the master or main comp. That's the one you are going to render. Then open up the Flow Chart and expand it. That will show you all of the nested comps and all of the layers that you can't see in the Main comp. You can double click on anything in a flow chart to open it up. Let's say you want to find the place to change a text layer. Select the layer that has the text you have identified in the main comp by soloing the layer, then check the same layer in the Flow chart and look down the chain until you find the actual text layer. Click on it in the flow chart and it will open in the timeline and the comp panel and you can edit the text. 

I hope this helps. I never do anything complex without consulting the flow chart. Here's one from a recent project:

Screenshot_2020-02-10 13.47.08_GnGfVC.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the explanation, thanks. Will probably try editing it in Premiere as you and the other response suggested.

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. So, turns out opening it in Premiere Pro was not at all as intuitive as I thought (even basic things like, create a new project and import vs. open a project weren't clear) and plus I ran into issues where it said it was missing certain Adobe filters to work prperly, etc.

So, gave up on that and went back into After Effects and did try the flow chart, but with 41 layers (include several named Adjustment Layer and Null with numbers after them) and a huge number of sublayers as well, I still couldn't completely get to where I wanted. While I could change the basic text, couldn't figure out how to change to easily change to the various color options that it shows in its preview on Adobe Stock, extend it to show multiple sections with different words (you'd have to watch it to see what I mean), etc.

Does anyone know how to directly contact the creator of a given template to get advice from them?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 0
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Motion Graphics Templates are NOT designed to be used in After Effects. You can create them and edit them, but they are intended only for use in Adobe Premiere. 

If you open up the Graphics workspace in Premiere Pro, Drag a template int Premiere Pro, then click on the Edit tab, everything that can be edited will show up right there in the panel. The Premiere Pro product page has a link to the user guide and there are excellent tutorials on how to use the Graphics Panels.  

This is what it looks like in Premiere Pro. Only the things you can see in the Edit Panel are editable. There is not much to it.

Screenshot_2020-08-20 16.10.08_SUznbC.png

That is all that can be edited in the News Intro Graphic that comes with Premiere Pro.

As I explained before if you want to make other elements editable then you need to modify the AE Project file that was used to create the MOGRT, and if it is really complicated, you need to learn how to use the flow chart and how to work in the Essential Graphics Workspace in After Effects to make those changes.

If you have a text object that does not show up in Premiere Pro, then you have to open a Mogrt in AE, have AE convert it to an AEP, open the main comp, open the flow chart, then start digging through the flowchart until you find the text layer you need to modify. I opened the News Open template in After Effects and started drilling down to make a change. Opening the flow chart and rearranging the workspace to make things easy to see I quickly found some red lines I wanted to change:

Screenshot_2020-08-20 16.26.28_ZIwguJ.png

A double click on the layer 16 in the Timeline or on the comp linked to layer 16 in the Flow Chart opens that comp so I can use UU to reveal all modified properties in the layers and find this:

Screenshot_2020-08-20 16.34.44_l3IJwZ.png

It turns out that the color I want to change is tied to a controller on another layer by an expression so If I want to change this color, or if it were a text layer and I wanted to change the text, I would have to create another controller to be added to the Essential Graphics Panel or if it were a text layer, create an editable field or just edit the text in the comp.

It is very unlikely that someone that created a template will have the time to explain to you how to re-edit their product. They may help you use the Template in Premiere Pro, but editing the AEP is a bit beyond what I would expect from any customer service.

I hope this helps. AE is complicated and it is going to take a lot of work to learn how the UI and the workflows can be used to get things done. It is a lot more complicated then Premiere Pro. I've used this image many times before, but it is worth showing again.

AE-PPro.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I very much appreciate your detailed response, but clearly I'm missing something basic on the first step because I'm not seeing those options in the Essential Graphics panel when I select Edit. So, sorry to ask, but again, do I create a New Project first or do I attempt to open the AEP file as if it were a Premiere file or is there yet another option?

When I tried to simply open a new project and then go to the Essential Graphics panel, I see a number of different templates that I downloaded, including the one I want to use, but when I try to click and drag it over to any of the panels in the Graphics workspace, nothing happens. The hand icon remains closed with the no symbol (circle with the slash over it) on top, so I can 't do anything. Tried dragging it over ot the Source Panel, Program Panel, Media Browser Panel and Timeline Panel to no avail. I also tried this with other templates I downloaded (including the News Spin one you used as an example) and the exact same issue arises--nothing copies over.

To be clear, I checked the Info on the file that I want to edit and it says Requirements After Effects, Duration 11.4 seconds, File Size 52.4KB (which is obviously too small) and then some fonts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 0
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if this tutorial helps - https://youtu.be/aruBFQxTOQ8

It's really easy to edit a MoGRT file in PPro.

1) Import the MoGRT into the Essential Graphics Panel (EGP)

2) Drag the MoGRT into a Sequence/Timeline

3) Ensure the EGP is visible and select the MoGRT in the Sequence/Timeline

4) The EGP has two tabs – Browse and Edit. With the MoGRT selected in the Sequence/Timeline, the EGP should auto display the properties of the MoGRT that the developer has set aside for you to edit.

Learn how to import a Motion Graphics Template (.MOGRT FILE) in the Essential graphics panel? How to make a template and export it? Check PART I (Video made ...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all for their help on this. I finally did end up finding the editable parameters in the Essential Graphics panels of both Premiere Pro and After Effects. While they were helpful, I want to do more editing than they offer, so I ended up digging into the details of the AE file and made some good progress. Definitely a learning curve, but much appreciation for all your speedy, detailed responses.

Bob

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020 1