Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ: How to fix "Display Acceleration Disabled" in After Effects

Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're running into a problem where After Effects displays a message on the Composition panel that says Display Acceleration Disabled, follow the suggestions given in this post to fix the problem.

macOS:
• Make sure your MacBook is connected to the power source
• Go to Preferences > Display and toggle Hardware Accelerate Composition, Layer, and Footage Panels
• Go to Preferences > Video Preview and toggle Enable Mercury Transmit

Windows:
• Update the on-board and dedicated graphics drivers of the computer. If this happens after updating the graphics driver, reinstall the previous version of the driver

NOTE: Nvidia driver version 442.92 seems to cause this problem on many systems. If you have installed this driver, please reinstall the previous version

• If your computer has Nvidia graphics, make sure to update the GeForce Experience software as well
• Go to Preferences > Display and toggle Hardware Accelerate Composition, Layer, and Footage Panels
• Go to Preferences > Video Preview and toggle Enable Mercury Transmit

If none of the steps given above help, obtain the System Information file (.NFO) and After Effects logs from your system and share them with us. Here is how you can do that:

Log files:

• Launch After Effects and go to Help > Enable Logging.
  • Work in After Effects for a few minutes.
  • Then go to Help > Reveal Logging File.

System Info:

macOS:
Follow the steps given in this article: https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT203001

Windows:
1. Hold the Windows key and press R to open the Run window
2. Type msinfo32 and click OK
3. From the System Information window, go to File > Save
4. Save the file as .NFO

After collecting both the files, upload them to Adobe Creative Cloud Files by following the steps given in this article (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the URL in the comments section below.

TOPICS
FAQ , Preview , Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 130 Replies 130
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same problem. All are updated: NVidia drivers and Windows Update. It stuck and says "Display Acceleration Disabled" when I working with MPEG2 video in AE.

There's no such problem in version 16.1.3.

MSInfo: https://adobe.ly/3bML5CG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you've shared the TXT version of your System Information file, LeoP2P. Please share the NFO file.

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE errors with NVidia from the Event Viewer: https://adobe.ly/3aO3HSz

MSInfo: https://adobe.ly/2xY7r5l

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I've downloaded the files and sent them to the After Effects team.

-Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!!!

All apps are updated from the Adobe Desktop App. NVidia drivers are updated (445.75). Problem still not fixed in the latest update (17.0.6.35).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ! i've the same problem since the last Nvidia's update.
Here is the link for my system info https://adobe.ly/3evRODh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've got an issue with MPEG2 video in AE too? Or with something other video codec? Is there Event Viewer shows an errors with NVidia?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

since I updated my Nvidia Drivers yesterday to the newest version 422.92 I get the message in my viewer and AFX "freezes" when I do a ram previews. It play back the render but I can't stop it anymore unless I force the app to quit.

It doesn't matter what I try to preview footage, shape layers, solids everything causes this.

This happens in AFX 2020 (17.0.4, as I couldn't update yet, and the latest Beta Version).

In AFX 2019 I also get the message but at least I can start and stop my playback(which causes a short black screen but comes back after a fraction of a second).

In the prefs of all the programs the option to enable Hardware Accelerate Composition, Layer, and Footage Panels is greyed out.

I have uploaded my NFO and screenshot of the prefs here: https://adobe.ly/2RM8XPi

Hope this problem can be resolved soon. Should I migrate back to an older Version of the Nvidia driver until the problem can be solved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick follow up. I went back and installed the former Nvidia Driver from their site https://www.nvidia.de/Download/Find.aspx?lang=de and now the Display Acceleration Disabled is gone from the viewport and I can start and stop ram previews normally. So I guess it is best to not upgrade your graphics driver or downgrade for now until it is fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the info, PFuerst.

I've sent your System Information report to the After Effects team. Perhaps, on your system, updating the drivers caused this. I've made a note of it.

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rameez,

in fact there are others having the same problems and there is also a thread for it here in the forums.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/ae-2020-won-t-stop-ram-render-please-help/m-p/11059075?...

I guess the latest Nvidia Drivers are causing those problems.

Best,

Pascal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the link, Pascal.

-Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having a problem with this. "Hardware Accelerate Composition, Layer, and Footage Panels" is grayed out for me, and I see the message "Display Acceleration Disabled" in my composition. https://adobe.ly/2z9oq5k

Edit: Rolling back to 442.19 fixed the issue. Definitely a driver problem with 442.92

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the file and letting us know, D34DC3N73R

Much appreciated.

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant get anything to work. Attached is my system info. Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X27IM9Ii528YUl1D1EB7GvYvzvqgkv-B/view?usp=sharing 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the file, richardj42019632.

I've shared it with the team. Which version of After Effects are you using?

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE 2020 Version 17.0.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rameez,

I wanted to follow up with my submission from last month to see if there are any updates.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi richardj42019632,

This bug is still under investigation.

-Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried my best to troubleshoot with the prompts said above but was unable to enable Display Acceleration. I was also not able to toogle <Hardware Accelerate Composition, Layer, and Footage Panel>. I've linked the .NFO file below as well. Hopefully theres a resolve to this soon! 

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/57cadbf3-30b1-4b66-794c-f2fcb719244a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realized that I reinstalled Nvida driver v.442.19 instead of an older version and display acceleration is now working! Currently running v.441.66 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my machine 442,19 is working only 442.92 is givving me problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines