Highlighted

How can you export a gif with a transparent background?

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to export a gif with a transparent background, but the gif always has a black background even if there's none in the composition.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by imeilfx | Adobe Community Professional

GIF is a graphic file not video/movie file and AE is not the best tool to export that but if you wish to do that straight from AE - you have to use script called GifGun.
I you don't wanna spend money on that - you have to:
- export your animation to image sequence with alpha channel
- open that in PS
- export to GIF by going to File/Export/Save for web

But you have to remember that GIF don't have actually real alpha as f.eg. png. As for small in size animated stuff with alpha - you can try to experiment with animated webp format.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How can you export a gif with a transparent background?

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to export a gif with a transparent background, but the gif always has a black background even if there's none in the composition.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by imeilfx | Adobe Community Professional

GIF is a graphic file not video/movie file and AE is not the best tool to export that but if you wish to do that straight from AE - you have to use script called GifGun.
- open that in PS

But you have to remember that GIF don't have actually real alpha as f.eg. png. As for small in size animated stuff with alpha - you can try to experiment with animated webp format.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- open that in PS

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have tried this method but once I go to export my GIF from photoshop I get an error message :  'Adobe save  for web error: Could not complete this action. An uknown error has occurred'

I have read on other forums to reduce the image size but this still does not work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines