Highlighted

Missing quicktime codecs in After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ive recently updated my After Effects and since then I now do not have most of my quicktime codecs, I followed the suggestion on the problem on adobe solutions page: Some QuickTime codecs missing in After Effects

but with no luck. Pls help

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Jose Panadero | Adobe Community Professional

Adobe has dropped support for Quicktime 7 in After Effects 15.1 so a lot of legacy codecs will not be available anymore.

The link you are referencing is very old and not applicable to newer versions of AE.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Missing quicktime codecs in After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ive recently updated my After Effects and since then I now do not have most of my quicktime codecs, I followed the suggestion on the problem on adobe solutions page: Some QuickTime codecs missing in After Effects

but with no luck. Pls help

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Jose Panadero | Adobe Community Professional

Adobe has dropped support for Quicktime 7 in After Effects 15.1 so a lot of legacy codecs will not be available anymore.

The link you are referencing is very old and not applicable to newer versions of AE.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 06, 2018 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how do we export using 3rd party quicktime codecs now?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont understand why adobe would do that, when a lot of people still use these codecs?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2018 13
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read this:

Dropped support for Quicktime 7 era formats and codecs

Essentialy: Transcode your old files to a newer codec.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, I'm really pissed!

I use the h.264 codec on a daily basis. Now I have to go to Media Encoder.

Which adds an extra step in my processing.

Thanks Adobe!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2018 14
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was literally just about to say the same thing...this is nonsense. I use H264 exports from AE on a daily basis, so its mad having to now go through media encoder every time, not the end of the world but it just seems like a bizarre thing for Adobe to change. Im guessing one of the few options that you now get is meant to be a replacement ?

Ill need to look into it more, and ALSO I have other quicktime codecs that I use daily that I installed which are now gone too...so Im going to try figure out how to get them back, not great when I have constant deadlines

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2018 5
New Here ,
May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not as advanced as most people what would be the equivalent to h.264 codec with the new limited selections to choose from?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be to use Adobe Media Encoder to make an mp4 file in the H.264 codec.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2018 0
New Here ,
May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. How would I do that from the Output Module Settings?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. How would I do that from the Output Module Settings?

you can select the queue item and click Queue in AME

After Effects CC 2015.3 In-Depth: Queue in Adobe Media Encoder | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

or alternatively use the Add to AME Queue in the Composition menu:Basics of rendering and exporting in After Effects CC

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2018 1
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!!! I use the HAP codecs and now cannot render to HAP or even transcode to HAP in Media Encoder.

HAP is a very modern codec that is used by most of the world's professional media servers. Luckily I have AfterCodecs installed in After effects for windows which does allow HAP encoding (and many other formats such as all versions of ProRes, etc). AfterCodecs - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2018 4
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is madness, how are we supposed to use HAP codec now?

WTF Adobe?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 08, 2018 11
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I'm having the same issue. I used to export transparent files with a png codec in a .mov wrapping. How does one do this now without using lossless codecs which have ridiculously large file sizes?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 2
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as painful as this is, looks like for Windows, AfterCodecs provides the best option with ProRes4444 as the high quality + alpha lossess replacement for good old obsolete Quicktime PNG. for those who are using QT H.264 - it was always very bad, poor quality and 10x file size and AfterCodecs gave much better option for native x.264 right in Ae.

it's either using that or compressing the video output file to .zip after you render, if you need to deliver it...

here's a small comparison of a 5 seconds video with a simple graphic on transparent background:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2018 2
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the comparison.  You saved me some time this morning.  On the advice of a friend I was going to do file size comparisons between QT PNG and ProRes4444 for alpha channel needs. Looks like I'll need to make that switch.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 27, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a smart move Adobe. A lot of pros are dependent on the HAP codec.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2018 9
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure to add your voice here:  Support the HAP codec – Adobe video & audio apps

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2018 3