• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Permissions problems with AE 16.1.1 and Windows 10

Explorer ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In trying to start AE, "After Effects can’t continue: Standard 3D module is missing." appears after "Cleaning Up" disappears from the splash screen.  After clicking Ok on the error, the splash screen goes away and I get this dialog box: "After Effects can't continue: unexpected failure during application startup”.

This happens when merely trying to open the program without trying to open an existing project. Also, no crash log is generated.

The problem appears to be permissions.  If I sign into Windows 10 on an Administrator account, AE opens and works.  If I sign into Windows 10 on my user account, I get the error every single time... even if I try to run AE as an administrator while under my user account.  I've Googled permissions issues with Adobe products and Windows, but so far none of the "fixes" have worked for me.

Are there any permissions experts that can help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

It turns out my Microsoft user profile must have been corrupt.  I never knew that was a thing that could happen.  So, to fix it, I signed in on the Administrator account, deleted my Microsoft account only on the laptop, created it again under a new account, and made it an administrator account.

Everything is running as it should so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried creating a new user account with administer privileges?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes... and using that local Administrator account works.  However, I do all my work under my Microsoft account (which is also an Administrator account... I hadn't realized that before) and it does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to reinstall Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems like an extreme step to take.  Is there any evidence that a total reinstall would fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried re-installing After Effects? If you installed it from the User account instead of the Admin, that would be your best bet at getting it to work. If it is a permissions issues, you can reset the permissions folders and apply those preferences to the enclosed items. I'm guessing it's either the After Effects Program Files folder or the AppData Adobe folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prior to the OP, the first thing I did was trash my preferences.  Once that didn't work, I re-installed AE.

Currently, I'm reading up on fixing permissions.  However, I did notice what could be a discrepancy between my user account (my Microsoft account, an Administrator account... the account that I use to install anything on my laptop) and my test account (a local Administrator account... where AE2019 works).

Adobe_AppData1.PNG

Adobe_AppData2.PNG

The thing is I don't know if this is something that should be fixed, and if so, how to fix it.

Here's my AE program folder...

AE_program_folder.PNG

So far I haven't made any changes to these screens since I am not fully comprehending how or if to make changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what my permissions look like this for Users and System:

users.JPG

system.JPG

I'd try giving full control to the account you're using just to see if that fixes it. If not, you can switch it back. Make sure when you change permissions you apply those changes to the child folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I've tried that before.  I'm starting to wonder if it is some weird bug with Windows 10's Controlled Folder Access (which I have tried turning off, but still won't work).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, could be some corrupted user settings somewhere. Have you tried creating a new user account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, every account I've set up works, whether it's an admin account or not.  My Microsoft user account is the only one that won't.  It won't even work in Safe Mode.

I'm hoping someone will come along that understands how to work with the Advanced Security Settings screenshots that I posted... since there is a discrepancy... it says Inherited from "Parent Object" in the first one, but not in the second.  And in the third, there's 2 entries each for Administrators and Users... maybe those are causing a conflict.

I'm having a hard time finding documentation that explains how to work with these settings that are easy to follow for someone who never works with these settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or could it have something to do with where my Adobe Documents folder is saved? My Microsoft user account is the only account on my laptop that saves that folder to OneDrive (whose files also are located on my laptop).

Adobe_folder.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OneDive has been known to cause issues with Adobe applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yea, try using folders that aren't in OneDrive, lots of issues can happen with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not finding info on how to force the Adobe folder to be saved where I choose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there is a way, pretty sure Adobe has to go to your Documents/Adobe folder. How did you set it up to go to OneDrive/Documents instead of Documents in the first place? Does OneDrive Documents somehow override your system Documents folder? If so, see if there's a OneDrive setting to disable that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea how OneDrive was set up to do that since my laptop is probably about 4 years old at this point.  However, there is no setting in OneDrive that will force move that Adobe folder to a different location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't used OneDrive in years, but it would not be an Adobe-specific setting, it would be some sort of user folders/documents setting that is somehow moving your system user folders into the OneDrive folder. I've heard of people solving this issue with symlinks (pointing to the actual User/[username]/Documents folder), but that's just a workaround. A better solution would be to just backup your folders, instead of having them live in the OneDrive folder which tends to have issues like this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's a bug that Adobe needs to fix.  Everything else works with OneDrive except AE 16.1.1

I even did a repair install of Windows 10 today, but that didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turns out my Microsoft user profile must have been corrupt.  I never knew that was a thing that could happen.  So, to fix it, I signed in on the Administrator account, deleted my Microsoft account only on the laptop, created it again under a new account, and made it an administrator account.

Everything is running as it should so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you got it working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

StephenInWA  wrote

That seems like an extreme step to take.

This is why I suggested it:

I've Googled permissions issues with Adobe products and Windows, but so far none of the "fixes" have worked for me.

StephenInWA  wrote

Is there any evidence that a total reinstall would fix it?

No.  I could not think of any other solution if you tried all of the suggestions on Google.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines