Highlighted

Simple Choker in After Effects is choking the adjustment layer rather than the layers underneath, help!?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The objects underneath are only affected around the edges of the composition.

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 10.30.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 10.30.23 AM.png

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Mylenium | Most Valuable Participant

It behaves like it always has both in regards to how adjustment layers are supposed to work and the choker in particular. They don't operate on individual "objects", but rather the accumulated buffer of all layers beneath. You need to read up. there's really nothing wrong here.

Mylenium

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Simple Choker in After Effects is choking the adjustment layer rather than the layers underneath, help!?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The objects underneath are only affected around the edges of the composition.

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 10.30.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 10.30.23 AM.png

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Mylenium | Most Valuable Participant

It behaves like it always has both in regards to how adjustment layers are supposed to work and the choker in particular. They don't operate on individual "objects", but rather the accumulated buffer of all layers beneath. You need to read up. there's really nothing wrong here.

Mylenium

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 27, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

simple choker will not create choke matte for the shapes outside the composition view...I can see that your circle shape is out side the composition.

Are you trying to do something like this -

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 12.26.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 12.27.26 PM.png

Vishu Aggarwal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply! What I'm trying to do is create a jelly effect. So I need to have the fast blur and simple choker on an adjustment layer so that these will be applied to the moving objects below. I've seen others do it online, but for some reason, I have this weird problem- only the fast blur is applied while the choke doesn't (it only applies to stuff that is at the edge of the composition). My objects are within the composition- I just placed that circle at the edge to show that the choke effect is applied only at the edges of the composition. Is it something to do with inversion? Have I accidentally inverted something?

Screen Shot 2017-12-28 at 2.15.25 PM.png

As you can see here, the circle is blurred because the fast blur has worked, but the choker hasn't.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my gosh! You're right! That is it. "accumulated buffer of all layers beneath". I had a solid encompassing the whole composition way down, so the Simple Choker is choking that as well, which is why I cannot see any effect on the circles! I removed the solid. Thanks a lot!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2017 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already explained to you what the issue was and how to fix it the first time you posted your question in another thread.

I also even gave you a link to a proper tutorial on achieving the effect.

Thanks for recognizing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2017 1
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly is the "solid encompassing"? I am having the exact same problem but even with this post I cant fix my choker.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 0