Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with badge installation in Chrome on Windows

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe,

The badge installation stopped working recently, probably after last Google Chrome update. Problem look like this: after clicking "install now" badge the confirmation window to install Adobe AIR appears ("Would you like to install adobe AIR?"). I click yes, download progress bar goes from 0 to 100%, and then error message appears ("Download error. Try again?"). Click yes - everything repeats.

Also, in Chrome on Windows there is text under the badge: "In order to run <app name>, this installer will also set up Adobe AIR" - but latest AIR is already installed. We used standard installation badge, provided with the SDK.

OS Windows 7 ver 6.1 (build 7600)

Browser Google Chrome 21.0.1180.60 m

Flash Player 11.3.31.222

AIR 3.3.0.3670

The problem appears only in Google Chrome, and only on Windows. In IE and FF everything seems to work fine. In Chrome 21.0.1180.57 on Mac OS X 10.7.2 it works fine as well.

You can look at the error here: http://www.jivosite.ru/install_application

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 103 Replies 103
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just before the holidays we made additional code changes  per request and then submitted "final" code to Google for what we hope will be the last step in their security review. Currently awaiting feedback from Google, as well as the return of critical developers from holiday travels.

Target for next forum update is next week. (Really!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know if this fix will also repair LocalConnection between chrome plugin and AIR apps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2013 Jan 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kharganpl - The LocalConnection breakage will require a different fix.  Both of these are important issues, but given the severity of the badge break we want to address this one first.

@ElsaMPT - I suspect this is hardware specific.  We had this problem last year with 10.7 and ATI cards but it was finally addressed in an OSX update.  Would you mind opening a new bug report at bugbase.adobe.com and include a copy of your system's profile so we can try to reproduce on the same machine?  Out of curiosity, is this on a retina display?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2013 Jan 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris sorry for offtopic in this thread, but could you provide mi bug ID on bugbase, and maybe some forum thread url about LocalConnection ? I couldn't find it. Moreover as ElsaMPT said, there is a problem in 11.5 and allow/deny buttons, our client got the same problem, his configuration:

FP 11.5.502

Mac OSX Version 10.8.2 on Safari Version 6.0.2 (8536.26.17)

(i'm not sure about retina, don't have info)

@Chris

@ElsaMPT

if there is this bug on bugbase please provide the bug ID, I will vote for it

also if anyone got problem with air.swf over https, please vote for it https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3434810

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2013 Jan 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update Bob, what about Safari non clickable bug? on Safari 6.0.1 on Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2, with FP 11.5.31.5, the settings window that asks whether to continue (with Yes/No) to install AIR is not responding.

It's similar to the lion - flash player settings bug, where no button is responsive. Maybe it's a quick fix and you could include it in the update?

thanks

Mert

Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 10.52.35 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2013 Jan 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bob_Goldberg

"Target for next forum update is next week. (Really!)"

hehe yeah... as always.... Really!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2013 Jan 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over the past week (14-18 January) the Google security team completed their security review of the badge installation code. Based on their completion of this review we are now integrating the code into Mac and Win builds. Our goal is to make it initially available via Google's Beta/Dev/Canary channels later this month so that developers can try it before its production release. As soon as we have a firmer target date we will post an update to this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2013 Jan 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

EdB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2013 Jan 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bob_Goldberg,

are you talking about Google Chrome update only? Will users have to update AIR to get badge installation working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's my understanding that they'll need to update Chrome (in particular, the PPAPI based Flash Player plugin.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Users will not need to update AIR in order to have badge installations work on Chrome. Users will need to update their PPAPI FP plugin as Chris noted above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2013 Jan 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In which FP version we should expect working bage install?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2013 Jan 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are pleased to announce that there is now a Chrome Dev channel update that supports AIR badge installations for both MacOS and Windows. Downloads are available from

http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

Google is also pushing this FP update out to their Beta channel, but AFAIK it's not yet available.

To check that you have the proper FP Version 11.6.602.155, check your Chrome browser's plugins page at

chrome://plugins

Please give try it.  Also, please note that it took a bit of time, about a minute or so, on my system before the version number updated itself. But, yes, badge installs work.

As to the question of when this FP will be put in production (Google's stable channel): mid-February.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2013 Jan 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey @Bob_Goldberg & @Chris Campbell

Please just tell me that this should work

airSWF.getApplicationVersion(APP_ID, PUB_ID, _versionDetectCallback);

now it is not working

airSWF.getStatus() returning "available"

but

airSWF.getApplicationVersion

causing an error with error.message "Adobe AIR is not installed"

which is obviously not true because I've got adobe air installed and other browser are working properly....

config:

FP version 11.6.602.155

chrome version 26.0.1386.0 dev-m

Any idease how to make it work ?

Moreover there is 2nd post in this topic where Chris paste url to chromium project issues http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=140854&q=air&colspec=ID%20Pri%20Mstone%20ReleaseB...

Ane there we can find url to bbc app http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/install

And for me with configuration above it isn't working also, so i tried to find some mistake on my side, spent on it some time and without any good results, for me nothing has changed If this is really fixed show me some path, how to make it working, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's likely going wrong for you is that your AIR app was installed from another browser and Chrome is unaware of the install.

Please try this: uninstall your AIR Application, uninstall AIR, and then you should be able to install your AIR Application via its badge installer from Chrome.

(Alternate way to demonstrate an AIR application installation working in Chrome:  install a previously uninstalled AIR app.)

Technical Details

Security Requirement: 

In order for Badge Installs to work the Chrome broker must be running and starting up this broker requires that the  user accept a security prompt, the infobar.

Implementation:

AIR Badge Installers depend on AIR.SWF, which uses the the ActionScript class ProductManager to download and launch the "AIR Application Installer", a native executable which installs an AIR application on behalf of FP.

ProductManager was originally omitted from Chrome Pepper FP because it depends on functionality that Google considers a security risk: save to local disk and launch a native executable. Pepper FP 11.6 implements this code in a broker -- a separate process running outside of these security restrictions.

As Google considers this code insecure, Chrome will only launch this broker after the user has accepted the infobar from the domain. Chrome records a setting when the user allows the broker, so the user won't see the infobar again for that domain unless they delete the corresponding setting.

Google also wants the infobar to be shown only in response to a user interaction, such as a mouse or keyboard click. Thus, when a domain is not yet allowed Pepper FP will only start the broker after the user accepts the infobar prompt shown in response to ProductManager.download().

This restriction explains why we don't expect Chrome to detect an application installed by another browser -- until you've accepted the infobar as part of download(), the broker won't be running, and unbrokered ProductManager methods fail -- such as detecting the installed version of the "AIR Application Installer" or launching it. Once the broker is running ProductManager methods will be brokered and work as they do in any other browser. In subsequent sessions the broker will be started before the script begins execution, because Chrome remembers the domain in its settings.

At the moment, AIR.SWF is the only SWF flagged as requiring the broker, so it's also important that your AIR Badge Installer follow best practices and depend on AIR.SWF to help install you AIR application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bob_Goldberg

So this is not the exact functioning of Flash player and AIR connection like before... and this is sad...

I'm not english native speaker not everything is clear for me in your post so I need to ask:

Is there any way to open installed native application (Signed native installer) via

airSWF.launchApplication(APP_ID, PUB_ID, params);

We made AIR application which is using ANE extension (with dll/framework depends on OS) and it's required (I guess?) to use native installer to run dynamic libraries.

So is there any chance to launch chrome broker with inforbar etc. connected with our domain which could allow us to check version our AIR APP and launch it if it's ok (with browserInvoke)

Please give me some path how manage this? Is it possible or will it be possible ?

I've got also second problem and please if someone could confirm that. I've got similar problems (like previous fp pepper builds) on Internet Explorer 9 64bit (9.0.8112.16421, 9.0.12) (64bit is important) Windows 7 (64bit) on 2 different PC

airSWF.status => available

and then any call referring to Adobe AIR like (getVersion or launch) reveals error with wrror.message => Adobe AIR is not installed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2013 Feb 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

I am using Chrome 26.0.1403.0 dev-m from the dev channel, but the air detection is still not working.

Can you point us to a version of CHrome that works correctly?

Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any reaction ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2013 Feb 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Staff only visit these forums occasionally, if you want a fast responses from Adobe you should open a support ticket - do not keep bumping this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2013 Feb 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And where i could open support ticket ? If you mean bugbase it's the same, no one answering on hard questions (connected with bugs) or resolving problems took few months (for really simple bugs and problems). I can give you few examples from bugbase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bob, it works in Dev channel for Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@zologica

are you sure that you have set PPAPI flash player plugin in chrome://plugins ? It works for me in NPAPI (which is obvious...) but not with PPAPI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2012 Nov 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue now in Google Chrome on Mac.

Can someone verify this?

Chrome version: Version 23.0.1271.64

Mac Os X: 10.7.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines