• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't import sequences into Animate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - can't seem to import image sequences into Adobe animate. It consistently only lets me import the images one at a time rather than the whole sequence in one go. Have tried various naming conventions and number paddings but doesn't make any difference. 

Any help very much appreciated! Seems like a bit of a bug...?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I've just tested with images named like image_0.jpgimage_1.jpgimage_0.jpg... and image_00.jpgimage_01.jpgimage_02.jpg... and they all worked as expected.

How are your image files named?

And please take a look at this answer for info on how to import image sequences into Animate:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/animate-discussions/importing-image-sequences-to-animate-cc/m-p/96268...

Regards,

JC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there - have tried various naming conventions and number pads but it doesn't make any diffference - have tried things like filename_01.svg, filename_02.svg, filename_03.svg (it's an svg sequence I'm trying to import by the way) and various permutations of those etc but still doesn't work. Still only wants to import each file one by one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should work for SVG files as well.

I've just tested here to make sure using the two approaches I mentioned in my first comment and it worked as expected.

What version of Animate are you using?

And do you mind recording a short video showing the issue?

Regards,

JC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - its the latest build of Animate, running on Windows. mp4 attached showing the problem in action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the video.

What happens if you leave the defaul import option (Import each path to different layer)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing, unfortunately. Have tried importing in to the library (instead of the stage) as well but that also has the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the images are being imported but you're not seeing what you're probably expecting. Have you tried distributing the content to layers/frames?

And do you mind sharing the SVG files so I can test on my end?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can do but I've tried it with other files and formats as well and had the same results. Here's a 6 frame sequence for you anyway - good luck...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

All the SVG files you sent contain the same artwork and that's why you got the result from the video.

Can you check this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - they aren't the same, they are part of an animation that goes on longer than the frames I've given you - you only have six frames of it which is why the frames look very similar. But that's besides the point - doesn't actually really matter if they are the same or not,  the issue is that Animate is not letting me import anything as a sequence, regardless of how the files are named and sequenced. The actual content of the frames is irrelevant really. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a video demonstrating that the feature is working properly:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Evj0gHL0CWrtLHozgc4vH9Ll2DMzRN7n/view?usp=sharing

What I meant about the SVG content is that maybe you got the idea that Animate wasn't importing different images.

The point is: from what I saw in the video you sent and by what I tested here on my end, I can tell you that everything is working for both of us.

But if you still think that there's a problem, so please report to the team in this link:

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Please let me know if there's something else I can do for you.

Regards,

JC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there - can I suggest you watch my video clip again? As you can see, I go through the process of selecting 'file - import to stage', then navigating to the directory, selecting the first file in the sequence and importing it. Animate then tells me that the file appears to be part of a sequence, do I want to import them all? I hit 'yes'.

It then starts making me import each frame individually rather than just bringing the whole sequence in in one go. Tolerable if you've only got 6 frames. Not so much if you've got 600.

So no, its not working as it should. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I just watched you do exactly the same thing - you had to individually click every frame in. That's not right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the default behavior. It's not a bug.

These prompts won't show up for bitmap images, for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously? That makes no sense. Why would it do that for one file format and not the other? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. This feature should be improved.

Maybe prompt us only once in the first file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bit nuts. If there are limitations with certain kinds of file formats it should be made clear. There's no documentation I've seen which states any of this. The same happens if you try and import a sequence of illustrator files - all have to be clicked one by one. It seems that if you produce a vector based animation and try and import it, you have to bring in each frame individually. That's really not good, especially considering as it's software that primarily uses vectors as it's building blocks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, you're right.

Alternatively, you can have your frames as layers of an Illustrator file and import the AI file itself.

Then you can distribute the layers to frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could I suppose, but if you're dealing with an animation with hundreds or even thousands of frames that idea becomes a bit of a non-starter. Simply put, the 'import sequence' for Animate functionality is somewhat lacking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for chime in, the option to import to different layers could also be improved. It's creating a staircase pattern (good) but creating every keyframe at frame 1.

It should import like this:

Mario_CR_0-1635885405835.png

Instead of this:

Mario_CR_2-1635885642712.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah - think the ' distribute to layers' command does much the same thing which is also a massive pain. Overlays everything rather than sequencing them properly (though could be wrong here, long time animator but relatively new to Animate)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the case of distribute to layers I think you actually want every layer to fall on frame 1, it's useful for character rigging for example.

In an image sequence command doesn't make sense imo. Or maybe I'm not seeing the point if there is one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes I can see that - in that case maybe some kind of option to define how the layers align would be useful, similarly to after effects. Or does that already exist? As I say, an Animate newbie...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines