How do I drop an item in the timeline to animate?

Enthusiast ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am used to Adobe Character Animator... I see Animate is a bit different.

I imported a drawing from Illustrator into Animate and I need to animate just 2 items in the drawing, but how do you drop the time line layers so that I can create a movement for them? 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can either import to the timeline or to the library.  for items in the library you can drag (from the library) to any timeline layer/keyframe.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally figured out how to select the object from the scene.  It is better to have the moving obeject on their own top later in Illustrator so that you can easily select it in Animate.

But now when I select the object to create a tween the entire rest of the drawing disappears from the scene and leave no reference to work on the movements. 

Character Animator is a much easier app to work with instead of Animate.

I want to learn Animate and see how it works with the use of buttons to do interaction.... but really has been a rough start with Animate not taking drawings from my Illustrator library among other incompatible points from Illustrator..

I get the feeling that Adobe might not be pushing for the use of Animate all that much.... even if I still want to learn it..... but on the other hand I might just convert the Illustrator files to SVG, do a little point A to point B movements, and figure out the buttons interaction direct on html... 

I would suggest to Adobe to keep their Apps some what similar.... the layer set up and timeline work very differently from Character Animator than from Animate...  Animate is a pain in the butt on top of having to figure out the glitches of incompatibility that they don't tell you about.. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

extend the timeline (by adding a frame) to the layers you want to extend.  you can select multiple layers to speed things.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In Adobe Character Animator they are called "triggers".

You can call for different moves or changes when you activate a trigger, and there is no coding involve. 

I figured out that in Adobe Animate you better do animation in separate timelines just so your code can call for the movements. 

Most of the online video refrence that you find from Animate is old and outdated..   I still need to learn how to create a Start, Stop, Left, and Right button to call for th movements of my tiny 2 animations.. I could have done that in Character Animator 10 times over by now, while in Adobe Animate I still gotta figure out how to link a button with the action that needed to be by itself instead of the main time line... 

Other than the drawing software for those people who draw... the animation part is next to useless because if I am going to code it, then I might as well code it straight up on my website for interactions..

Character Animator on the other hand is a good App for non interactive animations that can be converted into a movie.... and Illustrator is good for drawing.

Adobe Animate sounded nice.. but really didnt' offer me any advantage solutions for the little simple things I need....  with a few lines of coding I need I could skip the headeachs of a dying software.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines