Participant ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If

trace(Math.sin((Math.PI/6)));          //          .499999       Correct

trace(Math.asin((.499999)));          //          .523597        Correct

but

trace(Math.sin(30*Math.PI/180));          //          0.49999        Correct

trace(Math.asin(.49999*Math.PI/180));          //          0.008726        Wrong

else

trace(Math.asin(.49999*180/Math.PI));          //          30.000        Correct ?

My Math.asin function should use the radian to degrees conversion factor of  Math.PI/180 but appears to be 180/Math.PI.

Can anyone explain why this is?

TOPICS
Code , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

the trig functions are the inverse of the arc trig functions. the trig functions have an argument that's an angle (in radians) and yield a number.  the arc functions have a number for an argument and yield an angle (in radians).

so yes, if you want the sin of 30 degrees, use:

Math.sin(30*Math.PI/180);  // converted angle to radians

if you want the angle (in degrees) whose sin is .5, use:

Math.asin(.5)*180/Math.PI

and while our brains are perfectly capable of working with radians withou

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to convert rad to deg, multiply by 180/Math.PI

Math.asin(.5)*180/Math.PI;  // should be 30 (degrees)

i don't know if you have typos in this forum (ie, your parenthesis are misplaced), but some of what you posted (adjusting the argument in asin) is non-sense from a mathematical point of view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, it is interesting the code I posted has always worked for sin, cos, and tan, but maybe there's something funny about the parenthesis as you suggest.

If anyone could elaborate on this, I don't see exactly what is wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the trig functions are the inverse of the arc trig functions. the trig functions have an argument that's an angle (in radians) and yield a number.  the arc functions have a number for an argument and yield an angle (in radians).

so yes, if you want the sin of 30 degrees, use:

Math.sin(30*Math.PI/180);  // converted angle to radians

if you want the angle (in degrees) whose sin is .5, use:

Math.asin(.5)*180/Math.PI

and while our brains are perfectly capable of working with radians without degree conversion, when it comes to digital computers, that doesn't work so well.  a digital computer isn't go to tell you asin(PI/4) = sqrt(2)/2.  and while i've seen the decimal output of that so many times, i know .707...is sqrt(2)/2, i would not recognize the radian equivalent of 35 degrees.  (and i have a phd in math.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines