• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't convert swf to mp4. Help please!

Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to convert a few animations I've created on Flash (swf) years ago to mp4. I've got the original fla files and I could open them on Animate. I just cannot convert them to mp4... I've read other discussions about this subject but I couldn't find the solution for my problem. I've tried many online converters but they didn't work, I don't know what to do to solve it.  Please help.  😬

Thank you!!

Maria

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Animate is Flash (rebranded and updated). I have done this several times with old Flash FLAs. I resize by changing document stage size and setting the contents to scale. Then simply File > Export Video > and select H264 codec. If you upload your FLA, I can screen capture how to export for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

If you are using Mac, the first time that Media Encoder gets opened there will be a macOS security dialog that shows. That stops you from being able to export to video from Animate. Try opening Media Encoder first, and agree to anything that macOS asks you. Then try the export from Animate.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the FLA you can go to the File menu, Export/Export Video/Media, and that will send the animation to Media Encoder, for it to make the MP4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Colin. I go "Export"/"export video/media":
. entire movie
Then which should I set for "forma" and "preset"? 

(Sorry, but I know little about videos...I'm more into Illustrator and Photoshop)

Thanks again,

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[edited]

Use Swivel.

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with Apple computers.

Thank you anyway.

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have both Animate and Media Encoder and can open your files in Animate why can't you render an MP4?

Are you getting any error messages?

Are you able to generate a SWF by pressing Ctrl+Enter? If so rendering to video should be no problem.

What are your export settings?

Is Media Encoder failing to launch?

What is the problem exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[deleted]

I misread "could" for "couldn't" in the OP. Sorry.

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for helping. 

I don't know how to configure it. 

I used to create small pieces of animations on Flash, and now I need to resize them (I'm doing it manually...) and need to export them as mp4 good quality videos. I'm new at Animate, but it's quite similar to Flash, so I can handle it. But I don't know how to configure the format and preset to export the swf files as mp4 ones in Animate. I'm not even sure if it is possible to do it inside Animate or if I need to use another program. I've tried many online converters and it didn't work. One of them told me they don't convert animations, just videos. I googled a lot but could not solve it. Yes I can gererate a SWF by pressing Ctrl + Enter. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for helping. 

I don't know how to configure it. 

I used to create small pieces of animations on Flash, and now I need to resize them (I'm doing it manually...) and need to export them as mp4 good quality videos. I'm new at Animate, but it's quite similar to Flash, so I can handle it. But I don't know how to configure the format and preset to export the swf files as mp4 ones in Animate. I'm not even sure if it is possible to do it inside Animate or if I need to use another program. I've tried many online converters and it didn't work. One of them told me they don't convert animations, just videos. I googled a lot but could not solve it. Yes I can gererate a SWF by pressing Ctrl + Enter. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I posted it twice...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Animate is Flash (rebranded and updated). I have done this several times with old Flash FLAs. I resize by changing document stage size and setting the contents to scale. Then simply File > Export Video > and select H264 codec. If you upload your FLA, I can screen capture how to export for you.

Animator and content creator for Animate CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! About resizing, you saved me so much time!! 😅 
About exporting the file as mp4, it didn't work. The exported file never showed up, it didn't create the file. I don't know what to put on "preset", I put Facebook 1080... What should I put?
I don't know how to upload the file. 🙈  Sorry!
Thank you,

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Mac, the first time that Media Encoder gets opened there will be a macOS security dialog that shows. That stops you from being able to export to video from Animate. Try opening Media Encoder first, and agree to anything that macOS asks you. Then try the export from Animate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked!! Thank you so much...

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am trying to do the exact same thing as @mariaavecchi and getting an error message in Media Encoder. When I try to import an SWF file, it says "The file xxx.swf could not be imported. The file format is not supported." Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can't import a swf into ame.

from animate click file > export > export media/video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @kglad

Thanks so much for helping me out so much today. I have a .fla file in Animate and I am trying to get it into a .mov or .mp4. I followed instructions to export as video/movie and then use Media Encoder but it isn't working. When I use the online converters, it says that there is an issue with my swf file. Any tips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what do you see when exporting from animate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RachelbJackson_0-1705513160778.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

your output is problematic.

use file and folder names with alphanumeric characters and the few symbols animate accepts.  a colon isn't one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this 3rd party https://cloudconvert.com/swf-to-mp4 see if it helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!
I tried but it didn't work. It showed an error:
 Convert to MP4
ERROR /input/import1/2013_2020_1080_sem2013.swf Invalid data found when processing input

Thank you,

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem. I simply can't open a swf file. Can anyone help?

I'm pasting a screenshot.

Rodney232534956d5d_0-1645400239099.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines