Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

layer parenting rotates symbols after saving

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have been frustrated by a persistent problem, where symbols, such as forearms and hands in a rig, rotate 180 degrees. Everything looks fine. I save. Then, when I reopen, the symbols are twisted around.

I've researched issues related to layer parenting and rigs, but haven't seen anything with rotational problems, only drifting. Layer parenting has been working great for me for years, now suddenly it's broken.

I switched to the Flanimate power tool system and rerigged with SMR, but the lack of arcs presented a problem. I tried the parenting toggle and found that if I saved without reverting back, I had the same issue of mangled limbs that I had before.  

Any idea what's going on here? I've rebuilt the rig several times and it keeps happening.

I'm on the latest version of Adobe Animate CC 22.0.6 build 202 using Win 11.

In the image below, the lower leg is flipped around and hidden behind the upper leg.

keithh2190_0-1655757143638.png

Keith

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Keith,

We came across this yesterday too. 

It seems to be a relatively new issue, introduced with one of the recent Animate updates.

If you are on SMR, you may want to install Animate 21 alongside 22, and use that version which has the drifting bug, but that is still preferable. Just toggle PL on, when all animation work is complete to get the arcs. With only a few toggle cycles the matrix degradation will be minimal.

As for this issue, I hope that some of the devs will see your thread, and they will investigate and fix.

It has been reported here multiple times already. Unfortunately PL is full of bugs.

The so-called Advanced Layers, where each layer is wrapped into a hidden Movie Clip is a poorly thought-out concept, which led to so many issues. All implementations, based on it are problematic.

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the swift reply. I've been using this program since Flash 2 (1997), and I have to say, your SMR system is the most exciting advancement I've seen. The different keyboard shortcut has taken some getting used to, but the IK tool is amazing. I've enjoyed your approach to joints, as well. Although Animate likes to corrupt my perfect circles, so I'm still problem-solving that one. I'll give v.21 a try and see if that clears things up. 

Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the kind words, Keith!

We have been developing the tools for over 12 years now, and we've always had in mind Flash veterans like you (and ourselves) when designing the workflows. It is very motivating when such an experienced Flash user gives us encouragement.

(I know about the shortcuts! Changing habits is hard, and there is also 'muscle memory' involved.)

You can have multiple versions of Animate installed on the same machine. They will run just fine, without any conflict.

You will need to install EDAPT again in AA 21. The license will work without the need for a new activation.

I was trying to help another user here on the forum yesterday when I accidentally ran into the save/open file corruption issue. It's clearly a newly introduced bug in AA 22, which is not present in previous versions. I'm still trying to figure out the exact circumstances when it occurs (and when it doesn't).

As for the circles, if the vector shapes are too small pixel-wise, this may be a reason to get some shape corruption. Building your elements larger may solve this. Have a look at this thread to see if your problem is similar.

Good luck with your work!

And thanks again for the kind words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

22 had serious problems for me right out of the gate. I remember it corrupting all my layers, renaming them and converting graphic symbols to movie clips, wreaking havoc throughout my rigs. That one really really gave me some trust issues, and I had kept 21 and 22 together for some time before testing the waters again. The symbol rotation issue hit me about 4 or 5 weeks ago I think. Good to know about the license. 

Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, what you describe as "corrupting all my layers, renaming them and converting graphic symbols to movie clips, wreaking havoc throughout my rigs" is the glitch that reveals the whole awful mess of the Advanced Layers architecture, while destroying your file. 

Your actual content is inside those wrappers.

Some time ago I helped a user who did not have a backup untangle the mess. Wasn't too difficult, but took time and isn't something I'd want to do again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I basically stopped using 22 because of this bug. It happens constantly and doesn't show up until you close and reopen the file so you can animate for hours and discover the rotation is broken for the whole thing. It also breaks differently if you try opening already done animation in 21.
My solution has been to animate in 21, then check it by opening that file in 22. I've had the same error occur this way but only for a frame or two instead of whole animations. So far that's been my work around for clients who need files in 22.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SarahwithTea @keithh2190 We have fixed an issue where the rotation applied on the parent object before it was parented is leading to an uninteded rotation on the child objects upon reopening the file. This has been fixed in 22.0.7 update released yesterday. Please update your copy of Animate to the latest and let us know if that helps.

Thanks!

Mohan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did 3 different layer parenting rigs and didn't get a bug repeat. I'll keep saving and checking through this working file to be sure as I go through it but it appears to be solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mohanaraj 

Hi Mohan,

AA 22.0.7 saves and opens its files OK now, but you have created a backward compatibility issue.

The new file format breaks when opened in AA 21 or AA 20.

AA22.0.7 to AA21.0.9 PL bug.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @n. tilcheff This happens when a new feature is used in the current version and is opened in older version where the feature is not available. In this case, Propagate options are used in the new version but the same is not available in AA21 or AA20. 

Thanks!

Mohan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything appears fixed on my end. 

Nick, I saved in v.22.0.7 then opened in v.21.0.11 and had no issues with the two rigs in my video.

I see your test was for v.21.0.9.

-Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know, Keith! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting the issue. We are able to reproduce the same at our end. We will keep posted once there is a fix for the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, this thread was an adventure!

Animator and content creator for Animate CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines