• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Major font rendering issue (latest OSX build / Quadcore MacBook Pro)

Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2011 Mar 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this weird issue on my new MacBook Pro (i7 quadcore - 2ghz), the font rendering sometimes goes bezerk (see screenshots).

Schermafbeelding 2011-03-21 om 11.00.04.png Schermafbeelding 2011-03-21 om 10.35.55.png

Possibly the latest OSX build and hardware combination has compromised something…

It's a freshly installed setup, running Mac OS X 10.6.6 (10J3210) & Kernel version: Darwin 10.7.1. Flash 11.0.2.489.

The Font is OK, it works with all my other apps and it has never given problems before.

The issue isn't exclusively related to the font used in this example, it affects other fonts too.

Sometimes, on a freshly booted system and first run of Flash, it is OK in Flash.

But the error can return rapidly.

Especially, after restarting Flash a couple of times (no choice, due to the copy/paste layer bug).

Tried turning off the 'Automatic graphics switching', with no result.

Tried uninstalling my fonts, rebuilding the font library as minimalistic as it gets, with no result.

Switching preview-modes within Flash, didn't work.

Interestingly, switching anti-alias mode on a textfield to 'Bitmap text', resolves the problem… turning the Anti-alias back on, brings the problem back.

In this example, I use 3 copies of a textfield containing the text "Ford Antenna".

From left to right, anti-alias: readability - anti-alias: animation - anti-alias: bitmap text

Schermafbeelding 2011-03-21 om 12.27.39.png

It goes without saying that this is affecting my workflow tremendously, everything I produce with Flash gets corrupted. I understand that when Apple secretly releases new OSX builds, things can go wrong. That said, apart from running Flash 5 beta in the good old day's, I've never experienced this much problems with Flash before… so I cannot stress enough, that I'm expecting the upcoming CS5.5 update too be free.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2011 Mar 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have loaded 10.6.6 back in and of course everything works fine now. Thanks Apple - great job on the update - NOT. Praises to Adobe, who made a real effort to help us with a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2011 Mar 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This workaround was not successful for me.

I am curious to hear from others...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2011 Mar 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suffering the same problems on a iMac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, since yesterday and latest MacBook Pro, so not hardware dependent.

Thought it was just dynamic text and embedded fonts. But everytime I try and clear and restart the same problem occurs but somewhere else, maybe Medium not Bold the next time, but it returns.

Using Opentype Delta Pro family. So it can clearly happen with any font. So not Font or Hardware specific.

Working on 3 related FLAs I cleaned all font caches and cleaned system font folder using "FontXplorer X Pro". Full restart and thought it had gone away. First FLA worked, opened the second and its back again… deadline driven output being severely hampered.

A solution required from Adobe and or Apple very soon please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2011 Mar 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this issue as well. From what I've been able to tell, it only affects OTF fonts. For me, the font that I need working that isn't is Helvetica Neue Lt Std, but only some variants. 77-Bold Condensed is broken, but 57-Medium Condensed displays normally.

Having Font Book open doesn't fix the issue for me, neither does clearing font caches (system and adobe). Although, from what I've read, converting the font to TTF does, but I don't have any font conversion programs, so I can't verify this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2011 Mar 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right!!! i've just convert my fonts to windows fonts and reinstalled them and there is no problem at this time. My problem was also on Helvetica

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2011 Mar 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto on everything commented on so far here too.

• OSX 10.6.7

• Flash CS5

• Fonts in question: Avenir, Adobe Caslon Pro, Myriad Pro, Mesquite Std (there are likely more, I didn't test all of them)

• FontAgentPro managed

• iMac 27" 2.93 Intel i7, 16GB RAM

I have a MacPro that almost mirrors the iMac still running 10.6.6 that does not seem to show the issue on the same file, so from what I've read and seen, the OS update seems to be a commonality.

In my particular case, the suggestion of opening FontBook in the background before opening the Flash file does seem to temporarily solve the issue so long as a second document isn't opened.

Flushing the caches seems to have little to no impact.

An interesting observation is creating a SWF with the distorted font keeps the distortion not only running the SWF in Flash Player, but also running the SWF in Flash Player on my MacPro that doesn't exhibit the issue. The mangled appearance of the font seems to be embedded that way in the SWF regardless of the machine played on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue and only for a few days in AS2 files not AS3 files it seems so far and only with certain OpenType fonts (Officina is the one I noticed first). Since I updated to OS 10.6.7 a few days ago as well I'm wondering if the issue is related. Never had this problem before.. it is FREAKY !!!!!!! And what do I tell my clients.. "oh sorry your files are all messed up and I need to rework them all.. for free.. because I made a poor technical choice by proposing Flash ?!????"

PS: Other issue, buttons do do not show the hand icon in Firefox.. cumulated issues in Flash will definitely get me on the HTML 5/CSS bandwagon.. FOR GOOD. I already started and am in the process of selling my current clients on the idea. I've so wanted to love Flash but I cannot rely on a single piece of software that keeps giving me weird issues time and time again.. especially that it has bad press.. I more and more often get asked if Flash is going to die.. my answer might soon be.. "Yes I think so.. but of suicide".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never use Flash CS5 on my MacBook but since there is this freaky issue I just tried.. and I have no problem there..

My MacBook

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

The issue is on my MacPro.. not sure exactly what model it is.. I'll see tomorrow when I'm back on it.

Both computers are running OS 10.6.7 and Flash CS5 and FontAgentPro.

So it really seems to be an issue related to certain graphics card and the last OS update.. and of course Flash... but why does it affect only Flash ?!?

Any idea Adobe ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did a banner campaign today, it took me twice the time, 15 hours !

Compiling, restarting Flash, rebooting OSX, enabling disabling the font…

"When a stressful situation arises, our bodies dump massive amounts of hormones into our bloodstream to enable us to fight or flee."

And in the end, I just gave up, used my older MacBook Pro (running 10.6.6) and compiled all my files on that system.

Luckily my deactivated copy of CS5 is still working on that machine, lol.

I guess "j.delamater" is correct, it seems to affect OTF fonts.

Don't wish to break any NDA, hope Adobe takes it seriously and releases a fix before the next CS release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a friend who works for apple care. I've informed her and she said she'd forward the email on, so hopefully things will get moving on this. I've also notice the probrlem in InDesign as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all over the web by now.. (I posted it on Apple's FB page.. I do imagine someone there reads the posts if they have any sense of consumer support..). Apple needs to be flooded with this.. at first I thought this only handicapped Flash but reading all sorts of posts it really is an OTF rendering issue.. so I guess Apple is really at fault here.. and needs to react quickly..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is fixed when you clean the font caches.  Use Onyx or Font Nuke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cleaning the font caches didn't resolve the issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I've told before, the only solution that i've found is to convert the font with the problem from OTF to TTF. I've tried with Onyx and other software to clean my mac cache and no one works for me.

I know that is not so funny work, but by the moment i've couldn't find any other solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I had the exact same problem today (running CS4) with the opentype font GoodPro Wide Light on an existing file. I'm on Mac 10.6.7 with a 2GHz imac Intel Core Duo. It seems to work after deactivating/activating the font. Haven't used Flash in a while so I'm not sure if this is due to specific OS X updates as other people have reported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2011 Mar 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most people are rolling back to 10.6.6, it will resolve the problem, at least if you didn't had it before.

Not everyone has that option, as you can see from my first post, I was running 10.6.6.

The newest MacBooks are delivered with a newer build & kernel, so I cannot roll back, can't use my new MacBook Pro right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. I have about 20 versions of flash banners that all need edited and now all have messed up fonts.

Font is Myriad Pro OTF family.

Running Flash CS5 on a MBP 2.4 dual core i5

Mac OS system 10.6.7

Video NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Have tried clearing caches with FontExplorerX and Font Nuke. Reinstalled font from original Adobe Type Library disk. Activated font with Font Book instead, and left it running in the background. Choose "Bitmap Text" in Flash. Nothing has worked.

Screen shot 2011-03-29 at 12.42.22 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Flash CS5 you could try to convert text from CALSSIC TEXT to TLF TEXT and you should probably have no problem.

Instead you could convert your font to ttf, if you want send me your font to me and i will convert them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does work!

Seems to be a good solution if you are ok with (a) converting to or using AS3 and (b) going through your flash file and selecting all text objects and changing them to TLF.

Exported .swf seems to be the same file size as the classic version. At least on my basic display-only web banners.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2011 Mar 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience the same issue with several fonts, among which Frutiger LT Std.

System is Mac Pro 3.1 18Gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5870 videocard, using Flash CS5

My workaround is

-     in Flash, set Publish settings to Flash Player 10 and AS 3

-     select an effected Textbox, set properties of text from Classic Text to TLF text

-     deactivate all the fonts used in the Flash file with either your font managing software or through Font Manager.

-     quit your Font Managing software, leave the Flash file open

-     reopen your Font Managing software and reactivate the fonts used by the Flash file

-     if necessary, revert your Flash file to the last saved version

-     fonts appear as normal

Hope that works for you lot too.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the problem seems to be with .otf fonts only, I converted mine to .ttf from here:

http://www.freefontconverter.com/

Fast, free, does not affect the original and works like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link. It worked a treat for my immediate needs, getting Helvetica Neue Lt Std working. But as far as I could tell, you have to convert them one font at a time, and HNLS has 51 .OTF files. That took a few minutes to get converted, but I'm not about to do that for all the open type fonts on my system.

But again, many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We've posted a tech note on this issue: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/896/cpsid_89637.html

Much thanks to all of you for calling it to our attention.

Marisa

Adobe Flash Authoring, QA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While not super relative to this specific forum, this rendering issue also affects some of Apple's Pro Applications, as I find the same issue with Myriad Pro inside of Final Cut Pro (but not Motion or After Effects).

Alex Lucas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I was having the same issue with OTF Myriad Pro. I went through the Apple Forums and I think I found the solution. Open Font Book, select all fonts in the Library and run a validation -- "File, Validate Font". Once I removed all cautionary fonts from the list, I restarted Flash and it appears, for the moment anyway, the Myriad Pro problem cleared up.

Let me know if it works for anyone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines