• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Paint bucket tool not working

Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since the "Animate" update it's broken. I drew my frames as usual and when tring to fill in the character with the paint bucket tool nothing happened. All my lines are closed, I've redrawn them countless times, nothing. If I just draw a stupid simple circle though, I can fill that in just fine.

TOPICS
Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Okay so I got it to work. It appears the drawing - all segments of it - are inside a Drawing Object. Just double-click one of the lines to enter this object. Now you can fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you do not have Object Drawing turned on (J). If you click all of your separate strokes are inside an object, select them all and break apart to fill them or select them all and then select  Modify > Combine Objects > Union to combine them into a single object and then fill.

Animator and content creator for Animate CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither is working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this. Select the Paint Bucket tool, look at the tool's sub-selections below it in the Toolbar. There are 4 settings:

Don't Close Gaps
Close Small Gaps
Close Medium Gaps
Close Large Gaps

Play with those and let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm aware of those and none of them are working either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I can think of is you have different line segments on different layers. Can you provide a screenshot of your character including maybe more specifics as to how the timeoine is setup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled.png

all on the same layer. What's in white can be filled in but the rest can't

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything looks fine to me. Try this: zoom out so that the stage and image are about half that size and try to fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled.png

tried zooming out and in, i got a few more parts filled in but the rest seem to still be a problem for some reason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming lines outside the visible stage area are closed also correct? The stage boundary doesn't have anything to do with the lines. Turn on the Snap feature (magnet icon) and use the black arrow to make sure ends of lines literally snap to other segments. I'm sure this is not the solution because the Close Large Gaps would have worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing that seems odd is that you have the Lock Fill button turned on. That would normally only be used for gradients. Not sure why it would mess up the fill, but could be worth trying with it deselected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I have tried toggling that but nothing changes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, everything in and out of the stage area is closed completely

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send me the FLA? Or post it for download somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.sendspace.com/file/42rora

there is just the problem frame

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay so I got it to work. It appears the drawing - all segments of it - are inside a Drawing Object. Just double-click one of the lines to enter this object. Now you can fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thank you that appears to work

I'm not sure if this is new? Never had to do it before but if there's a way to turn it off so i can just fill it in regularly that'd be great

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a feature called Object Drawing and was introduced to Animate a couple of versions ago - carried over from Illustrator. Yes it can be turned off - or toggled on/off more accurately. Select the drawing tool of choice and you'll see Object Drawing as a sub-selection tool. Click the Object Drawing icon to toggle it on/off. Or hit J on your keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DANG you went through alot of trouble for one user. Props to you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's another option to help you flatten out the shape that you wish to fill-

Object drawing.PNG

Select the shape that you wish to fill, then choose from either of the highlighted options shown above in the Properties panel.

One is called - Create Object and the other is Break Apart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still isn't working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Matthew27683288ip8s 

create a new fla

take the minimum steps needed to show the problem you see with the paint bucket tool

embed a screenshot in a reply here showing your stage and the animate history panel

i'll duplicate your steps and see if i can find a fix for what you're seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2016 Apr 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem too. What I did was to select the Paint Bucket Tool; on the top tool bar, I clicked the downward facing arrow attached to the paint bucket tool icon, I then selected the settings list by clicking the 'Cog' shaped icon, I then selected the Reset Tool text and this corrected the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

help me please,i maded the object with line tool to be sure no gaps will appeared and it didnt worked,i tried but it didnt worked,i turned off object drawing , but nothing

only the darrywl solution i didnt thied but il try

if you k another method please tell me it

or make an update that will automatically solve this problem please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nothing is working,please help me with this,when selecting the object the fill color was closed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines