• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way in adobe animate to have one stroke on 2 overlapping objects?

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using adobe animate 19.0. Is there a way to automatically have a stroke go over the outline of 2 shapes? OVERLAP1.png

As you see, these are 2 shapes overlapping. I want just one outline around the whole shape. Like this:

OVERLAP2.png

I just made this manually, but is there any way I could automatically do this? So when I move a rectangle over another one, there would still be no inner stroke lines? And it would look like one shape. If it is possible, would there be away to combine it with motion tweens? So I could make the front rectangle move from side to side while still looking like one shape?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Hi mate,

You can 'fake' this by having two layers per shape.

One that contains only fills and the other one with the outlines.

On the top two  layers you will move the fills-only rectangles.

On the bottom two the outlines.

In this way when they intersect you will only see the outer outline.

I'd set this so that each shape (if they are different) is one graphic symbol. First frame would be fill, second outline.

Then I'd do my animation with the fills only on two layers. When happy will duplicate the lay

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

You can 'fake' this by having two layers per shape.

One that contains only fills and the other one with the outlines.

On the top two  layers you will move the fills-only rectangles.

On the bottom two the outlines.

In this way when they intersect you will only see the outer outline.

I'd set this so that each shape (if they are different) is one graphic symbol. First frame would be fill, second outline.

Then I'd do my animation with the fills only on two layers. When happy will duplicate the layers, move duplicates below and switch to frame 2.

Hope this helps!

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I properly seperate the fill and stroke? When I seperate it without converting the stroke to a fill first (By cutting it and then pasting in place in a new layer), the fill is a little bit bigger than it was before. When I do convert the stroke to a fill, the fill is smaller than it was before. So there's either thinner outlines, or gaps between fill and line. Am I doing this wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind, I had a blue background, and thought the blue border that happens when you select something was the background. It wasn't, I just had to deselect to see what it looked like. Thank you for helping me with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to have helped, mate!

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines