• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lip Sync with 2 or more characters in a scene

Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the best way of using the auto lip sync feature if you require 2 or more chaarcters in a scene?

• Currently I have one character and sync'd his voice to the audio.
  • However I want a conversation with another character.
  • What's the best way to organise a scene for multiple voices? Is is to create short audio files with each person's line from the script - then create new layers with each seperate audio file and mouth graphic clip to auto sync the instance to each line? Am guessing this would quickly result in scores of layers and audio files in a few minutes.
  • Wondered if there is a better way to do it?
  • Or is there an open source .FLA anywhere to download that shows how to set up multiple voices in the same scene?

Thanks! 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

create a movieclip for each character.

add each character's graphics and their portion of the audio to their movieclip.

sync each.

combine the movieclips

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. 

Just so I am clear...

If person one delivers 10 different lines of script and person 2 delivers 10 lines of script, I'd need to create seperate audio files for each section and then separate movie clips to match each line of the script?

So:
-Sync person one to their 10 seperate audio files (effectively creating 10 different movie clips for them)

-Sync person two to their 10 seperate audio files (10 movie clips for them).

Then add the movie clips to the main scene as required. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, you need two audio clips.  for example, in a studio, two people conversing with person 1 recording their voice in file 1 and person 2 recording their voice in file 2.

or, if you already have one file with both voices see if you can separate the voices into different files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. So if the scene is 2 minutes long you mean

1 x audio file of person 1 doing their lines, with silence where person 2 speaks (runtime= 2 minutes long)

1 x audio file of person 2 doing their lines with silence where person 1 speaks (runtime = 2 minutes long)

Then sync the audio to the mouths of each character?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

No one uses Movieclips in character animation. Symbols have to be Graphic so that they can be synced and controlled.

I don't use the auto lipsync feature, so I can't give advice about any specifics you many need to deal with, but you will figure this out easily. 

The key to knowing how to organise your files for character animation is to understand nesting and sync of nested timelines.

For each character you would have head symbols which contain the facial features, including the mouths. Lip sync happens in there, either inside head level or even a level deeper.

Head timelines are as long as the main timeline and always run in sync with it.

Audio is always set to Stream and only the audio track on the main timeline is exported to video.

Same audio track has to be duplicated (copied) inside head symbols so that you can do facial/lip sync animation.

You would also have duplicates at character level so that you can animate the character acting.

On the outside you animate the head by rotating it and moving it.

If you need to switch between front, 3/4 and other views, you have multiple head containers and swap them.

I'm not sure if you can edit auto lip synced stuff, but most likely you do. If that is so, you can have only one audio track for both characters in the scene as long as they are not talking over each other at the same time.

You can run the auto lip sync on both heads and then manually stop the mouth that you don't need moving during the times the 'other' character is speaking.

This will make it easier to get going and control the multiple timelines since it seems that this will be your first project.

Later you may find better approaches.

Here are some links that may be useful:

http://flash-powertools.com/workflow/

http://flash-powertools.com/character-rigging-for-flash-animation/

http://flash-powertools.com/keeping-cycles-flexible-for-easy-re-timing-by-using-service-frame-and-wo...

http://flash-powertools.com/edapt-movie-template-free-download/

Good luck!

Nick - Character Designer and Animator, Flash user since 1998
Member of the Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for character animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I am a new learner. I am trying to give auto lipsync on 3 characters . But when it plays on main scene the lipsync gets distorted . The frame length is same in all layers . Pls help 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Mintoon TV33804079ozhl 

make sure your sound's sync property is set to sync, and set your fla's frame rate to 23.98

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines