• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Audition: No Supported Audio Device?

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2011 Mar 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I recently bought a new laptop. It has Windows 7, 64-bit installed on it. All my programs installed just fine, except Adobe Audition 3. I install the program, and the first time I open it, it opens just fine. I can even open an audio file it. Then, I close it and the next time I try to open it, it states:

"Adobe Audition could not find a supported audio device".

I tried installing the 3.0.1 patch; nothing. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling; nothing. I've been running it in Windows Vista SP1 and Windows XP modes; nothing! This is driving me crazy!

I have a Realtek High Definition Audio sound card installed and enabled, driver version 6.0.1.6098.

I don't know what to do anymore, there must be some fix to this. It's driving me crazy and I'm sad because I bought this program when I still had Windows Vista thinking I could use it on my next computer.

TOPICS
Audio hardware

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - That's a crucial piece of information.

It turns out there are three others:

1. On this machine, no external input can be set up in Adobe Audition unless there is an actual plug inserted into the jack at the time.

2. The input and output audio specs have to match each other in the Windows audio setup for Adobe Audition will not record.

3. Finding Stereo Mix (using your hint) and enabling it will allow the recording of streaming audio, at least on this computer.

Combine these three with showing disabled and disconnected devices, and suddenly the world makes sense again.

- Mike H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't resist posting that I listed at least some of these things 2 years ago in this very thread, and that they basically all point to "features" of Windows 7 or 8 rather than problems with Audition.

I don't know what the answer is. Microsoft seem not to be able to design a sensible audio user interface. And my two most recent machines have the Stereo Mix disabled by the manufacturer, so I have to use third party software for recording streaming audio.

Mike H that is a very useful and concise summary..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2014 Aug 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing in Windows 7 with 64 bit new problem for me.

"Adobe Audition could not find a supported audio device.

Please check your device settings."

Have tried everything listed above with no success.  Adobe Audition 3.0 WILL  NOT  OPEN

However, I can uninstall and then re-install and it will work ONE TIME ONLY!

After closing the initial session, when trying to reopen the error occurs.

This computer has provided years of fine uneventful service with AA3.0.

I sure did enjoy the past few years with it

Hate to switch programs, but do not want to have to  re-install every time I re-start Windows. . 

Would prefer to continue with AA3 as health issues are becoming increasingly alarming..

Suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact same issue and am sad no solution was found. It ran perfectly for the last 3 years and suddenly it would no longer work but the one time upon initial installation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2015 Feb 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved my problem...I had to uninstall the program (again), download and reinstall the latest ASIO (ASIO4ALL), reinstall Adobe Audition 3, open AA3 (only get to once per installation) and configure the Audio Hardware Setup to select ASIO for Audio Driver. After that it went back to working properly. Seems the ASIO was the problem all along. Hope this helps someone else as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me.  Worked fine for years, then started popping up this error.  The only thing that fixes it is reinstalling Audition, but now I have to do that multiple times per day because the error pops up randomly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need a lot more information about your PC and the soundcard that you are using before anyone can even attempt to answer either of the last two posts I'm afraid. Something must have changed to make it go wrong such as Windows updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 64-bit Audition 3.0, nothing has changed with the computer or audio devices, Audition just refuses to open unless I reinstall it first.  Is there some settings file I can delete instead of reinstalling the whole application?

I reinstall it and it works normally the first time I run it, and then when I close it and re-open it, without changing anything at all, it shows this error.

---------------------------

Adobe Audition

Adobe Audition could not find a supported audio device. Please check your device settings.

OK

$$$/PPROStartupErrorNoASIODriversFound=Adobe Audition could not find a supported audio device. Please check your device settings.

I guess I'm just going to keep reinstalling it every time I want to use it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Audition\3.0\audition_settings.xml is where all Audition's settings will be. Don't delete that file in case you need it to recover from. Just rename it to something like "audition_settings.xml.bac". Then Audition won't find it when it opens and create a new settings file.

But that probably isn't the complete answer to your problem. You really need to find out why Audition isn't retaining the link to your audio interface. So what do you see in Audition's Audio Hardware set up page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ryclark wrote:

So what do you see in Audition's Audio Hardware set up page?

Audition won't start at all when this happens, so I cannot go to the Audio Hardware page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try renaming the whole of the Audition's settings folder to say"3.0.bac" and Audition should recreate the complete folder with default settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 06, 2015 Feb 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ryclark wrote:

C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Audition\3.0\audition_settings.xml is where all Audition's settings will be. Don't delete that file in case you need it to recover from. Just rename it to something like "audition_settings.xml.bac". Then Audition won't find it when it opens and create a new settings file.

Try renaming the whole of the Audition's settings folder to say"3.0.bac" and Audition should recreate the complete folder with default settings.

Neither of these fix the problem.  It still pops up "Adobe Audition could not find a supported audio device. Please check your device settings" and refuses to start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 06, 2015 Feb 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing ASIO4ALL and uninstalling and reinstalling does not fix it.

Following these instructions and removing all ASIO devices does not fix it:  https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/guideline-on-how-to-d...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 17, 2015 Feb 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody has any ideas?  I've completely uninstalled everything I can think of, there are no audio devices left except "Audition 3.0 Windows Sound" and it still doesn't work. If I Repair the installation it works once:

2015-02-17 17_37_47-Adobe Audition.png

and then never works again:

2015-02-17 17_38_11-Adobe Audition 3.0.png

I have to Repair the installation every single time I want to use Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 18, 2015 Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing ASIO4ALL and trying to use it I get this error:

Audition has encountered an error.

\premiere2.0\MediaLayer\Src\Audio\AsioHost.cpp-635

2015-02-17 17_57_03-Audition Error.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 20, 2015 Feb 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there something I can delete that will completely disable audio input to Audition?  I'd be happy if I could still record in other software and just use Audition to inspect/measure the waveforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2015 Feb 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately as you have found Audition won't open unless it has access to a working audio interface. It relies on the interface to provide the clock signal that drives Audition.

If it works once when you re-install Audition then the drivers must be OK. But something else is grabbing the interface away from Audition and altering the settings so that Audition cannot use it again. Make sure that you Windows Sounds turned off. All the sounds that Windows makes when emails arrive etc. are at a different sample rate than Audition works at. So if any of those happen then the settings for Audition will be screwed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 25, 2015 Feb 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It shouldn't need a clock signal to open and edit wav files, but ok.

I've downgraded to Audition 1.5 until I get a new computer or wipe Windows and start over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2015 Feb 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fjd13324 wrote:

It shouldn't need a clock signal to open and edit wav files, but ok.

That is essentially correct; what won't work is the transport, but yes it should open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this thread has been really useful for me to fault my new windows 10 installation.

AA3 was working just fine for me in windows7 64bit

Now with a new PC with windows 10 pre-loaded I got the dreaded no audio device found 😞

After finally doing a repair installation I started up and was amazed to see a request from Kaspersky asking if I wanted to allow AA3 to use the audio stream!

So it appears that my firewall had blocked it.

I'm really pleased I've got it working again, but I would never have thought that my firewall would have been blocking audio streams...

So maybe a tip for everyone is turn off your firewall for a few minutes and see if AA3 springs into life (you may want to disconnect form, the internet before you do that of course)

hope that helps someone

srv

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2016 Feb 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes, we should have mentioned this earlier, as this has happened to others too. What it comes down to is that Kapersky isn't really a firewall, it's a virus. It's attacking parts of your computer and stopping them working, often without indicating what it's done and why. Software firewalls are a nightmare - made worse by the fact that in 99.9% of installations, you simply don't need them; your router does a far better job without screwing up anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, Just right click on your sound card select properties then advanced and make sure the block That says Give exclusive mode applications priority is uncheck.  And check the other box to allow applications to take exclusive control of this device is check.  It should work and recognize your sound card.  I hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2016 Jun 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIX ADOBE AUDITION 2.0 in WINDOWS 7 -  SUPPORTED DEVICES  NOT FOUND

#1 Right click the volume button

#2  Choose "Playback"

#3  Right click the line in you are using.

#4 choose "Properties", Advanced ,

CHECK "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device, but

UNCHECK"Give exclusive mode applications priority.

Do this in each user account on the terminal you have the Adobe Audition Program loaded on.

If you don't do this, the other user accounts will like take priority and block an open user account from working properly (that's the best I can explain it sorry).  If someone else can explain why this fix works, please add your wisdom.

If you are running Adobe Audition 2.0 on a Windows 7, make sure to run it in "Compatability Mode".  Since Windows 7 technically needs Adobe Audition 3, you have to tell your new W7 to get along with the older version of Adobe.

In Windows 7...

Click:  Start

All programs

Right Click on Adobe Audition 2.0

Choose "Troubleshoot Compatability"

Choose Windows XP (or Windows Vista) - whatever you had before you upgraded to Win 7

We are using a Eurorack with Delta 44 sound card (M-Audio driver).

I'm not going to rant about Windows 10.  We just deleted the update from our programming computer, and hope not to look at it or anything like for a long time to come.

As for Adobe, you ought to be building updates to allow W7 users to use W7 and providing the proper explanation and put it where people can find it.  It took me at least 8 hours to find the solution, and even then it was not out there in the help or readily found.

I suspect this MIGHT work on W10 but I am not trying it for the next 4 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2016 Jun 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And.... do the same for the Recording Devices.

#1 Right click the volume button

#2  Choose "Recording devices"

#3  Right click the recording device (sound card) you are using.

#4 choose "Properties", Advanced ,

CHECK "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device, but

UNCHECK"Give exclusive mode applications priority"

Do this in each user account on the terminal you have the Adobe Audition Program loaded on.

If you don't do this, the other user accounts will like take priority and block an open user account from working properly (that's the best I can explain it sorry).  If someone else can explain why this fix works, please add your wisdom.

We use the Delta 44 sound card in our W7 with AA2 (which was interesting to say the least as we had to rebuild the W7 computer we had purchased to allow us to get the sound card in.  We ended up ditching the new case and putting the whole W7 guts into a bigger case so we could add the Delta 44 sound card, which is a work horse for small production.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Estube leendo  soporte de  audition pero nada, la solucion que dio resultado fue  el instalador en buen estado

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines