• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Audition wont let me record even after choosing the exact same audio settings!

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last night I got about half way through recording my song. When I woke up this morning to finish it, I found that the red record button and the arm track button on the audio track were both faded out and I was unable to press them. Even after messing around with the audio hardware for about an hour, switching the input back and forth from the built in input to the usb mic I have did nothing. I was told that if i rename the adobe 4.0 folder it would reset the settings; I did that to no success. How can I finish my song?? Very frusturating, please help.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Audio hardware , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I am able to record on the waveform section, and not on the multitrack section. This is very odd, maybe thre is some setting I have to change or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the transport control is greyed out, it means that whatever you are using as an audio device isn't connected to Audition any more. If it records in waveform and not multitrack, then check the hardware multitrack settings and make sure that they are the same as the waveform ones as far as the device is concerned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both the "R" and the "I" are faded out on the audio track and i am unable to arm it, is this the transport control? I understand what you are saying, but how exactly do I make sure the audio settings are the same for both the multi track and the wave form? When I go to preferences>audio hardware the settings are the same no matter if I have waveform selected or Multitrack selected. Is there another page of settings that I should modify?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I am able to record if I open up a new multi track session.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yung Mandon wrote:

Also, I am able to record if I open up a new multi track session.

Ah, now you've provided a good clue.

I'm almost certain that what you've done is to corrupt (somehow...) the session file for the multitrack recording that you were doing. This is quite capable of preventing you from recording any more!

Usually the easiest solution is to delete the .sesx file associated with the wav files you've recorded. This will leave you with your recorded files intact, and all you have to do is to import them into a new session, and save that. Since you are still at the recording stage, you won't really lose anything much by doing this, and it will certainly save you having to re-record anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before deleting the old .sesx file (an unnecessary step as the clips can be dragged into a new session from the Files panel) I would first suggest checking the Input dropdown in the track panel controls.  It sounds like the session file is looking for a default device or input channels that are no longer available.

Here's what I'd recommend to quickly examine this:

Open your existing session and expand a track high enough so you can see the Input dropdown:

Screen shot 2012-01-10 at 2.39.51 PM.png

You can see in that image that I've clicked the input dropdown and it currently shows that I have no input channel selected.  This is because the default device (Default Stereo Input) I used when I created the session is no longer available.  I can click the Stereo option and choose a valid input channel.

Changing your default device preference in Audition doesn't modify this setting for existing tracks in existing sessions.  You can verify this behavior by creating a new track in your existing session and seeing if you're able to record to it.  If so, setting your existing tracks to the correct input and saving the session should prevent additional problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

_durin_ wrote:

Before deleting the old .sesx file (an unnecessary step as the clips can be dragged into a new session from the Files panel)

If it does turn out to be a faulty sesx (and I've had one of those...) then getting rid of it saves you trying to open it again by mistake.

What makes me suspicious in this case though is that presumably, the original session would have had the correct device selected to record from, and starting a new session, which presumably uses the same device, works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did it for me

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Muchas gracias!! _durin_ Siempre me pasaba esto y no sabia como solucionarlo, y era algo tan simple 😄 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines