Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Audition 3.0] "Adobe Audition could not find a supported audio device."

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I've recently downloaded and installed the Adobe Audition 3.0 software released by Adobe in 2013 for free, and unlocked it using the publicly accessible universal serial number.

But now I have a massive problem. As soon as I want to start the program, the following error message appears (see screenshot):

"Adobe Audition could not find a supported audio device. Please check your device settings."

Unbenannt.JPG

My laptop runs under Windows 10 Education (Version 1903). All audio and device drivers should be up to date.

What can I do to get the program to run (several boot-ups, shutdowns, uninstalling and reinstalling attempts have already been tried)? If you need more information, don't hesitate to ask.

Many thanks and best regards!

PS: The installation itself was complicated enough: When I tried to run the "Audition 3.0 Setup.exe" file, a window appeared where I could select the language - but after the selection nothing more happened. Instead I had to install the program via the "components.msi" file (right click -> Install). Maybe this is still relevant information.

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang , How to , Version 3 and earlier

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have to say that the (now officially withdrawn) Audition 3 and Windows 10 aren't the happiest bedfellows. On this laptop, I can start it up, but if I make any attempt to alter the audio properties, it's extremely likely to crash the OS, never mind Audition. If you can get your copy to at least behave in a sensible way, the most sucessful way to access sound devices is to use ASIO4ALL - as much because it can diagnose your system, as anything.

ASIO4ALL 

You might also like to read this thread: Audition 3.0 Crash when switching to multi-track, etc 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I'd use this old thread instead of starting a new one!

I am having the same issue with a W10Home PC updated to the latest version; 2004.

Annoyingly, I can only assume the update broke something as AA3 worked fine before the update 😞

I have also installed ASIO4ALL but that didn't help. I had hoped that there might be a -switch to get the program to start without checking for audio devices; because at least then I can see what, if anything, was listed. But, of course, there isn't!

I guess I've had it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution:

For all issues that are related to Windows 10 1909+ incompatible installations,

Just Copy the ".exe" file to the Desktop and install it. This is an issue with Windows 10 bug for many programs and drivers that used to work with Windows 7.

Copy the files to a folder on the desktop will fix it 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have to say that the answer to this generally is to right-click on the desktop icon, and select 'run as administrator'. There are potentially other installation issues too, and the answers to them (at least potentially) can be found in this thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work when I tried it for my dad on his machine. Wouldn't install at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which would mean you would have to leave it there permanently; or not if you never wanted to uninstall it I guess 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1- Make sure there is no conflict with your audio driver in Windows "Device Manager", and audio is working with other apps.

2- Remove all Audition installations from Applications.

3- Copy the installation folder / CD to the Desktop. Call the folder "Adobe Audition".

4- Run "Audition 3.0 Setup.exe" to install the file.

5- Once it install successfully, go and delete the folder you created called "Adobe Audition". If it does not install successfully, then look for Adobe Audition 3.0 installation package online, and do so. If it does not install properly from "Audition 3.0 Setup.exe", it will not work.

6- Run Auditon from the icon on your desktop, and it should work fine. No run as administrator is required, and you can delete the icon off your desktop and it will work fine.

7- I hope it works for you as it did for me on Windows 10, v.2009.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I had the same problem as you, (Audition can't find a supported audio device), and I solved it in a very simple and unexpected way.

Windows 10 Home 2019 64-bit OS, x64-based processor
Soundcard : Stereo Mix (Realtek(R) Audio)

Here is what I did:

First I tried installing the ASIO4ALL_2_14_English driver and it didn't solved the problem.

Then I tried installing the Audition 3.0.1 patch, but after the language selection, nothing happens.

I wanted to see if there was anything installed anyway and went to :

Control panel --> Programs and Features --> And there was no patch installed.

While I was there, I thought about trying the Uninstall/change option ... because there is the possibility to do a REPAIR on the installation.

That's what I did and it worked!!

Control panel --> Programs and Features --> Adobe Audition 3.0 --> Uninstall/Change --> Yes --> Next --> Repair

I don't know if the fact that the ASIO4ALL driver was installed before the REPAIR has something to do but it's worth the try!!

Hope this helps you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it's been a while. I abandonded the attempt to get it onto my dad's PC but really need it on mine but now it won't start, with the same error message, even though I have also installed the ASIO4ALL thing too. All I did was reset Windows (10, 21H1) as my C drive got a little full. Same, onboard Realtek sound chip, etc. Everything exactly the same!

I really don't understand it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe that a solution someone suggested on similar thread (Or even possibly this one!) actually worked.

Install it from the desktop.

Worked first time for me!

🤷‍:male_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's THE ONLY WAY that worked for me! the installer asked me if wanted to uncompress to desktop, I choos YES, then the installer rwill run from there. and.... ♫♪ TA DAAAA ♪♫ It's working perfectly fine!!!

It doesn't make sense to me, but it worked! Thank You CarlWaring !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've now run into something similar, and am looking for solutions.

Realtek HD Audio, with the current drivers on Win10 21H1. (older Realtec HD Audio drivers failed to install). The audio device shows up as two separate devices, Speakers and Headphones (not a single Speakers/Headphones device). It's also locked at 48K samplerate either 16 or 24 bits. No 44.1K at all? Just two selections in the dropdown.

AA3.0 hangs when trying to open the audio settings from within AA. This is an issue because AA defaults to 44.1k, and the Speakers, even when the Headphones device is selected as the Windows default.I haven't yet figured out how to get AA to play out the headphones. The other issue is that AA will work best when opeing a 48K WAV by setting AA as the default app for WAV and double clicking the wav file. It will sometimes open a 44.1K wav file and play, but often it will just hang.

Is Adobe Bridge CS3.0 required? I don't remember if it's needed anymore, or what it was for. It is showing as installed, as I tried to install it, thinking it was required, but the setup failed. Didn't realize it was "installed" until seeing it in the apps in control panel. What is it for....should I uninstall it?

This all an issue because my old laptop died a terrible death and I got a new one a few weeks ago. The old laptop had Win10 2004. AA was happy on it. Zero problems. AA is not happy AT ALL on the new laptop. Both laptops are HP Envy 17 with Intel i7 processors and Realtec HD audio. I tried to get the current version of the same machine, same specs, etc. Obviously they aren't the same and audio seems to be one of the most different, screwed up features in the new one. Not happy with development. AA is not the only app that has issues with audio.

What's deal with the current Adobe Audition? Does it solve the Win10 audio problems? Is it worth the extra (extreme) expense of the subsctiption? Is there a reason to upgrade to the new AA, assuming it is happy on the current Win10 besides that?

How this isn't too much for one post.

Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Audition 3 is fourteen years old now, and was intended to run correctly on whatever OS was around at the time. In many ways it's little short of miraculous that it runs at all on much newer ones, and its ability to run with W10 is, to say the least, pretty ropey; it works fine on some systems, and flatly refuses to run properly on others - not necessarily for any obvious reasons at all. I have a HP with an i7 core and realtek sound, and it's never been very happy with Audition 3 - and indeed it has got noticeably worse with progressive updates. On the same machine, the latest version runs fine.

FWIW, the most success I've had with Audition 3 is to use an external USB sound device, and its own ASIO driver. This bypasses most of the OS - and that gives you a pretty good clue as to where the problems lie...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have got Adobe Audition to work on a clean windows 11 Install, but only with the help of an old Windows 10 install and an external USB soundcard.

It seems that there is an issue with the latest Realtek ASIO drivers

Installing on Windows 11, the installer seems to extract, but go no further.

Where the installer has extracted to, Desktop\adobe\audition 3.0\adobe audition 3.0 there is a file in there called components.msi, double click that, and audition will install, but, will not launch.

To get it to launch, you'll need to go back to an older OS, and have a USB soundcard, probably best if the USB device is not a Realtek device (mine is a MOTU)

Disable all of the sound devices, except the USB device.

Set the USB device as default in the audio preferences in Audition and exit.

Make a backup of c:\Users\YourAccount\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Audition\3.0

On your new install, overwrite the files in this location with the files in your backup.

With your USB soundcard installed, this should launch no problem, atleast it does for me.

The only annoyance is that I have to have my USB soundcard plugged in to launch audition.

Its a shame that the new versions of Audition are so different from 3.0, it seems to have fallen into line with other workflows, which don't seem so intuitive for me, I have CC2018 on my PC at work, it takes a long time to do any thing to do anything compared to my trusty only copy of audition 3. I guess the latest Realtek driver removes some sort of legacy support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(((((yes its donwnload it on desktop first))))well its the first time in my life i face this problem with Adobe audition but i had other problme today plus this problem , but i siolved them all and yes downloading first on a folder on desktop solved two problems from the first time 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My main issue is the inconsistency of the problem. Some time ago I clean-installed Windows 11 and AA3 installed and ran perfectly. Just had to do the same again now and it won't run, with this issue 😒

I guess maybe it wasn't clean install and may have been an upgrade from 10 where I had got it working properly. I can't actually remember, to be honest. (I'm 90% sure it was clean though.)

I have a D&R Webstion mixer which, basically, has 5 USB sound cards in it too! (ie not just on-board!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inconsistancy seems to be a MAJOR issue. I don't know what was changed in Windows (at least more recent versions of 10) but Reaper on my new laptop will not automatically pull up the last audio device if the headphones were plugged in and removed, and often if nothing was done. This is NOT a problem with Reaper as it opens the device(s) directly and not as "the Windows default output device".

Based on observation it seems as though Windows is redoing the device oridinals in such a way that it looks like there has been a hardware change. Of course this will mess things up for any app that opens devices directly, such as Adobe Audition 3.n and Reaper. Apps that use the Windows default device, browsers and other apps that don't need to worry about perf/latency/format, will just work, but other apps will treat it as a hardware change and with that the device needs to be reselected in the app settings.

My laptop is particulalry troublesome as plugging in the headphones causes the machine to see a new audio device, separate from the built-in speakers. Yep they are totally separate. Unplug the headphones and that hardware has been removed. The device ordinals list is recreated every time. The solution is to pop open the Reaper device settings and reselect the desired device.....repeat every time the app is run....EVERY TIME.

As for Adobe Audition 3 on this machine, I gave up. I never got it to work, except a couple of times early on, then it started bugchecking. Further ininstalls and reinstalls and debugging do nothing to help. My laptop has limited format out options, being fixed at 48k stereo, and 16 or 24 bits. No other options at all. AA3 seems to want to default to 44.1K and only when there is a way to get it to open and run at 48K from the very beginning there is an output format conflict. Even when AA3 would run without crashing, just attempting to open the hardware settings to chose the desired device would cause it to hang the app. The only way out was to kill the process.

I gave up and got the current Adobe Audition. At $20 a month I expect it to be at least as good as the old version, but I hate it.....truly HATE the way the interface works. Yes, most edit things I do are still there, but the workflow and everything is horrible. I feel incredibly let down, and "taken" by Adobe.  GIVE ME A SAVE BUTTON ON THE TOOLBAR - Let me create a user toolbar. Maybe there's a way to customize the new subscription version to my liking, but I haven't been able to find a way, and comments in the forums indicates that we are SOL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl+S every time. Who needs a 'save' button 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had a thought. The error is "Please check your device settings". So there's something in them it doesn't like now but did before. Except nothing has changed! 🤷‍:male_sign: Argh! This is so infuriating 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't suppose anyone's found another work-around recently. Still having this same issue with Win 11.22H2

Might have to try a cheap USB soundcard I guess?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. So this is weird. I have a perfectly working copy of AA3 in Windows 11. (Direct upgrade from 10)

However, when I "reset this PC" back to factory settings (because the OS drive was almost full and I wanted to delete everything and start again) and try re-installing it, it doesn't work.

It also doesn't work on a fresh install of the latest version of Windows 10.

I have absolutely NO idea of what the heck is going on with the program and I can't afford to pay £20 per month for the new one. 

I could change to Audacity as it has the basic features I need but that would mean abandoning years of projects created with AA3.

I guess don't really expect an answer or solution. I'm just annoyed with Adobe who won't even consider doing a "cut down" version for the non-professionals who can't afford an on-going monthly fee!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a small reminder to all people who have issues when reinstalling AA3 on a fresh copy of windows 10 or 11. 

MAKE SURE YOU COPY THE INSTALLATION FILE SOURCE OR DOWNLOAD .ZIP FOLDER ON THE DESKTOP AND INSTALL IT FROM THE DESKTOP. Not from any other directory (not from C:/ or D:/ or Documents or else, it will not work).

That is the only way it will work on any new installation. I do it all the time on both windows 10 & 11, and it works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Happy for you that it works. Unfortunately, for me it doesn't. Yes, I do have Realtek on-board sound, but I also have a D&R Webstation with 6 USB sound cards in it. 🤷‍:male_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines