• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audition CS6 won't play in Windows 10

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can open Audition and edit, but clicking the "Play" button doesn't start playing the file, either in waveform or multitrack. Help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

This has always meant the same thing with Audition, regardless of the OS. And that is that it's not connected to your sound device. Being Win10 though, I have no idea of whether there would be an external reason for this. But your starting point in Audition will be Preferences, and the audio hardware setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has always meant the same thing with Audition, regardless of the OS. And that is that it's not connected to your sound device. Being Win10 though, I have no idea of whether there would be an external reason for this. But your starting point in Audition will be Preferences, and the audio hardware setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, SteveG. I changed the setting in Preferences, then changed it back and it worked. No idea what that should be so, but since it's working, I'm not concerned with the reason. I appreciate the veryi quick response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason may be that the OS stole the audio driver to play a Windows sound and by changing the settings in Preferences then back again reconnected Audition to the audio driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2015 Jul 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Toggling hardware in Preferences appears to only be a temporary fix.  The Play button will stop working again.  I have not yet been able to find a pattern.  Will continue to investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jul 31, 2015 Jul 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you turned off ALL system sounds in Windows so they're not "stealing" the audio drivers from you?  Like Steve, I have no idea how to do this in Windows 10 (or even if it's possible) but doing that is a pretty basic start for optimising your system for serious audio work.

You haven't mentioned what sort of audio interface you have but if there's any way to use ASIO rather than MME drivers, that might be a good thing as well.  Driver issues with audio devices are pretty common with new operating systems...one reason I won't be moving to Windows 10 for a good while until things settle down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2015 Aug 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rule 1 of all Microsoft OS's - don't even think about installing them until at least Service Pack 1...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2015 Aug 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although from what I have seen on other audio forums the change to Win 10 for audio seems to have been reasonably seamless for those willing to take the risk. But that may partly be due to the fact that they are using ASIO drivers and not trying to run with whatever Windows 10 supplies in the way of audio drivers and preference settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2015 Aug 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I stated that it will not play in Windows 10.  I did not mean to imply that it would not produce sound.  I meant to say it will not play. The counter does not increment.  The index line does not move across the screen. The wave pattern does not scroll across the screen.  I really didn't expect to hear audio when the play icon is non-responsive.  It will not PLAY in Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really confused now. If the counter doesn't increment, the play cursor doesn't move and the waveform doesn't scroll then you can't be hearing sound out of Audition. Play means all those work and you hear sound. And all of those symptoms are caused by the audio interface driver not being available to Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the responses I've read thus far appear that the problem was an audio driver or a speaker wasn't plugged it and they weren't hearing audio sound.  I was pointing out that the problem was the program is unresponsive when the play button is pressed.  It doesn't matter at this point if I have an audio system or not, Audition will not respond when the PLAY button is pressed.  It worked fine yesterday on Windows 8.1 and will not today on Windows 10.  Nero's Wave Editor software performs well.  Windows Media Player and all the other audio programs perform well. Audition will load. It will open a file.  It will display the file.  It will not respond when  the PLAY icon is pressed, it becomes non-responsive to any command after that.  It will not PLAY.  (It is not the same as playing and not producing sound.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WilliamsBobby wrote:

All the responses I've read thus far appear that the problem was an audio driver or a speaker wasn't plugged it and they weren't hearing audio sound.  I was pointing out that the problem was the program is unresponsive when the play button is pressed.  It doesn't matter at this point if I have an audio system or not, Audition will not respond when the PLAY button is pressed.  It worked fine yesterday on Windows 8.1 and will not today on Windows 10.  Nero's Wave Editor software performs well.  Windows Media Player and all the other audio programs perform well. Audition will load. It will open a file.  It will display the file.  It will not respond when  the PLAY icon is pressed, it becomes non-responsive to any command after that.  It will not PLAY.  (It is not the same as playing and not producing sound.)

That's exactly what we were responding to.  It DOES matter if you have an "audio system" because Audition exhibits exactly the symptoms you describe if it's not connected to your sound card/audio interface.

If you're using the basic Windows MME drivers, other programmes--like Windows Media Play since you mentioned it--will grab the audio card and not let go.  Audition (for various reasons) is set up not to steal the drivers away from other programmes.  You have to physically turn off whatever is using the computer's sound system and then tell Audition it's there and to use it.  That's why I say to shut down anything else that may be grabbing your sound card...anything from Windows sounds to the Media Player to Facebook automatically opening a video to play can be the culprit. 

I think it's a pretty fair bet that the problem is simply that installing Windows 10 has changed something else to a default setting where it grabs the MME audio at certain intervals.

In the longer run you'll be better off with an interface that can run on ASIO drivers since these bypass the Windows system and its audio drivers.  A dedicated USB interface would be ideal but, as a stop gap you might try installing ASIO4ALL and using that with your existing sound card.   ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver  This might protects you from the "driver grabbers" but it's still worth shutting down unnecessary stuff for audio work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard.  I reset my computer back to Windows 8.1.  The problem immediately went away.  Adobe Audition was not the only program I had that was not working properly, so this problem alone was not the sole reason for going back to 8.1, but it was one of the primary reasons.  Thanks for trying to explain it to me, but I just feel that if it doesn't work, I don't need it.  Thank goodness I didn't lose a bundle of money in this transition.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2015 Aug 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WilliamsBobby wrote:

Disregard.  I reset my computer back to Windows 8.1.  The problem immediately went away.  Adobe Audition was not the only program I had that was not working properly, so this problem alone was not the sole reason for going back to 8.1, but it was one of the primary reasons.  Thanks for trying to explain it to me, but I just feel that if it doesn't work, I don't need it.  Thank goodness I didn't lose a bundle of money in this transition.  Thanks again.

Note carefully and remember my response about Microsoft OS's above... this has happened so many times now that I'm afraid that even with MS's new approach to developing OS's, nothing really has changed in the slightest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2015 Sep 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found this thread as I had same issue with Audition (CS6) and  having uploaded the ASIO drivers from above it is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not having the problem WillisBobby is having. Once I toggled the audio output setting in the preferences, everything started working fine, and has continued to work fine. Audio output, index line movement, wave pattern scrolling, and counter incrementing, all work the way they should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to note for everyone that what all the awesome guys above suggested

going into Preferences >> audio hardware >> re-selecting MME and hitting ok

fixed this issue for me as well.

Thanks a lot guys!

/Alec

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2015 Sep 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aleccorday Aug 7, 2015 1:24 PM His process worked for me too. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2016 Jul 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed it for me as well.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2016 Jul 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should point out to everybody who reads this thread that the ideal solution to this problem with W10 (and that's exactly what it is...) is to use an external sound device, preferably with an ASIO driver. At this point, the OS cannot dick around with your sound settings any more, which is what it's doing, and it's doing it in a particularly unhelpful way. On this laptop I can't get any output from the headphone socket if I plug phones in whilst it's playing through the internal speakers, and to get it to continue to sound, I have to reduce the volume to zero and advance it again. This is all caused by Windows using active sensing on the socket - which it does because it doesn't trust me to know that if I plug headphones in, I want to use them.

Which is about as stupid as it gets. Yes this affects other OS's too, and there doesn't appear to be an easy way around it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem after upgrading to Windows 10.  I did as instructed above, which got the player to start moving again, but still no sound. I went to Device Manager and checked to see if any of the drivers needed updating. Sure enough, under Sound, Video and Game Controllers, the Conexant SmartAudio HD driver needed updating. After installing the update and rebooting my computer, the sound returned to Adobe Audition CS6.  Thanks for the advice above, which got me part of the way there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2015 Aug 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to Windows 10 because adobe states that CC 2015 will work fine with Windows 10.  I have had this same problem with Audition CC 2015 and CS6.  Thanks to this forum, I found out that one of the audio drivers needed updating. It's updating as I type this response so hopefully that fixes my problem.  I knew I should've waited to go from Windows 8.1 to 10, but I was really wanting to be cool and jump on to the new technology early. Whoops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2015 Aug 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

caseyv75337762 wrote:

I knew I should've waited to go from Windows 8.1 to 10, but I was really wanting to be cool and jump on to the new technology early. Whoops.

Okay, I'll admit it - I'm not cool!

But hey, at least I've retained a working version of Audition on an OS that's stable... (W7Pro, incidentally - I really don't like 8 at all)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob Howe!!!   Asio4all was a great fix for me and hopefully now I have a great driver that will serve me well.   I also jumped onto Windows 10 knowing the risks and that it's wise to wait, but I'm glad I made the switch.  The new OS is working great overall and the fact that I've got Audition working makes me a happy camper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar problem since switching to windows 10, after using the software for about 90 seconds the cpu usage jumps up to 100% and everything freezes... do u think this could be a driver issue as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines