Exit

Audition Import / Export to/from other DAWs

Mentor ,
May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well its done!

AATranslator is finally finished.

http://www.aatranslator.com.au/ is where you will find it.

Its been 3 months in the making and as I mentioned previously its not donationware but it is a fully functional demo only limitation is the number of tracks and 'clips'.

Many thanks to John Lundsten from  the UK for the idea of this project, for his tireless efforts testing the application and for his insight as well as the user guide.  Thanks also to Adrian Connelly for additional programming efforts and the interface and also dstDean from this forum for additional testing and encouragement.

Those who have supported me in the past (as at the time of this post) through donating for any of my previous applications are entitled to $50usd off the price for every application they have donated to me in the past.  For some that equals a free copy!  Never let it be said that I don't appreciate your support!

This application is not for everyone but certainly for anyone who needs to move their projects from one DAW to another it is certainly worth a look.

It definitely the only application which currently allows you to import/export from Adobe Audition!

There are many other DAWS in our sights and significant work has already been completed interfacing to Reaper project files and OpenTL files.  These will appear in a free upgrade in the not too distant future.

Enjoy.....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 130 Replies 130
Mentor ,
Jul 24, 2010 Jul 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The guys at Mackie have given us some support which has helped speed things up on the Tracktion side of things and Matt (NZ) has been most helpful.

Who would have known that you could have multile sessions/edits in the tracktion project file?

We have finally solved our PT track naming problem much thanks to Bill Blue (probably good that we were on the other side of the world as I'm sure some serious head banging could have been on the cards - LOL) and Airon for his patience as well and not to mention JL in the UK.

So the next version will see a lot more PT/Reaper functionality as well as added Tracktion support and all the other stuff I'm too lazy to list.

So a little bit more testing and some updated doco and this sucker is out the door.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 28, 2010 Jul 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It always seems to take longer than expected but we have finally got the next release into an acceptable shape and is now available to be downloaded

As usual there are the obligatory bug fixes and correction of ‘undocumented features’ as well as a host of enhancements.

The standout additions are that more detail is extracted from PT5 sessions – some of this detail is not extracted by the likes of ProConvert eg BPM, Beat markers and more .

We also recombine PT split stereo files to a sub folder called (strangely enough) ‘Stereo’ and of course split stereo files when creating PT5 session files.

We have also added track automation to both import and export of Steinberg track archives

We have also started down the path of collecting plug-in detail eg Plugin details from PT are now added to Reaper notes – we may expand this in the future and we may look at midi as well.

You can now specify a Reaper RPP as a ‘template’ to be used when converting to Reaper – we may expand this to cover other suitable formats.

We have added more detail to Audition & Vegas conversions and a whole lot more.

Tracktion project files (.tracktion) can now be imported and converted and if demand allows we will look to providing an export function as well.

The complexity of AATranslator grows daily and it can be easy to ‘break’ something that was working in a previous release. So let me know if this does happen so we can get it sorted out.

A special thanks to those like Bill Blue & Matt Bentley who have taken the time to assist in various aspects of testing for this release.

As always feel free to contact me for assistance and don’t be shy in either suggesting enhancements or recommending AATranslator to others.

Thanks again for your support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 30, 2009 Sep 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think if they were going to have a go at someone they would lose more credibility with their own users plus they haven't touched ProConvert

Reverse engineering their code is one thing but data containers I'm not so sure about what is essentially your own data

Besides in Oz we have a thing about stifling competition - but hey I can be bought out - please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 30, 2009 Sep 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just reminds me of the Seinfield episode where Kramer burns himself with the Coffee & the offer him a year of free coffee and .....

Trust me I'm not in the same league as the Adobe programmers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 12, 2009 Nov 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an snippet of an email I sent today to someone regarding a particular conversion from Vegas to Samplitude & Reaper and track gain, track pan and envelopes.   It just shows that things are not always as they seem.....

OK – the problem is not an AAT one it is a Samplitude / Reaper problem J

If you look at the Sam EDL it only has clip gain – there is nowhere on the EDL for track gain or track pan – its not part of the original Sam EDL spec (id there was one)

What Reaper does with a Sam EDL is that it uses the first point of the Gain & Pan envelopes for track gain & track pan but Reaper then doesn’t get envelopes.

If you print out the two EDLs (one with and one without the ‘Reaper’ option) you will see that they are different when it comes to the envelope points.

So you can see now just how difficult writing translation software is – LOL

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 13, 2009 Nov 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whats going on with this forum ? The index says that the last post (not the bugle thing) was by Ron 2 days ago and there has been at least 3 or 4 posts since then.

Sigh.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suite Spot wrote:

... the last post (not the bugle thing)

There have been plenty of times when I thought that the bugle thing would have been far more appropriate!

Strikes me though that your browser might have loaded a cached version, in which case the refesh button is your friend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn - another ID-Ten-T error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 27, 2009 Nov 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avid Media Composer OMFs

Ha ha ha  did it!

I cracked the Avid way of doing things!!

I still have to write a $hit load of more or less duplicated code but now I know how they do it!

I'm heading off down to the petty cash department to get myself a gold star - LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give yourself a gold star?  Forget that it's lame... Here I'll give you one

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:oxdzi761ZqwJhM:http://www.hollywoodgoldenguy.com/gold-star-background.jpg

Nice work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL

Thanks!

I just have to tidy up some code and then work out how to get to the embedded audio and its done I reckon then I can pass it to JL for Avid testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 06, 2009 Dec 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently working on:-

Staying awake

identifying Avid audio names

heaps of minor bugs/annoyances now fixed

getting this next release ready

Taking longer than expected - trying to avoid embarrassment on an international level

Sigh......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 10, 2009 Dec 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok once JL wakes up from another night of testing - we will give it another once over, finalise the doco, package it up and then out she goes!

Is it perfect ?

Not by a long shot but then neither is every implementation of OMF -

Avid has given us the most trouble but then some might say thats what they are good at and we need to respect that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 23, 2009 Dec 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha Ha Ha - a few hours work and already we are able to import Final Cut Pro output (xmls)

Lots of testing to do of course.

But after a few hours break for xmas should be starting to export FCP xmls

I finally worked out what the "F" stands for in OMF and it sure aint 'free'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2009 Dec 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow great work so with this you could import entire sessions into pro-fools?

settings transferred?  I suppose you would just freeze your tracks if you wanted the effects?

I've used pro-fools here and there, and I have to say, I think it got to be such a standard simply because of it's name...people are really that simple, they read "PRO-tools" and immediately think it's got to be the most professional program...but unless you're on an HD system I'll take Audition anyday, which also sounds better then any non-hd pro-fools setup all other things being equal.  Plus I know people that can't find a pro-tools plugin that can hold a candle to Auditions multi-band compressor so they supplement pt with AA.

IF digi would actually go to the trouble of preventing their software from being compatible with Suite Spot's translator then that company should be burned to the ground!

I don't think I'll need pt to master anything as there's plenty of tools in AA but it's still nice if you want to bring a session to a studio to record vocals and they don't have Audition, just load it into protools with translator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like your enthusiasm

Sorry to disappoint but not being one to encourage movement to PT the actual transfer to PT hasn't been written.

Though transfers to (what seems like) just about everything else has.

AAT will read PT (v5) session files as well as almost all OMF files (Avid's for some strange reasion still require a bit of work) but sure you can just convert your wav files to 24 bit and drag them into PT, record your vox and save your PT session files as PT5 and import into Audition etal.

Currently working on Final Cut Pro transfers as it seems that FCP has been eating away at the Avid/Digi monopoly - so anything I can do to help....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like this little app is really taking off Suite Spot.

Just curious here, but are there any Avid files you would be willing to send to me to look at?  I don't have Avid here and I've never used it, but I'm a bit curious on how they're put together and what the differences might be between a genuine Avid file and one converted from AAT...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taking off?   Not if sales are the indicator LOL

I'd be happy to send you some Avid omfs.

"I'm a bit curious on how they're put together and what the differences might be between a genuine Avid file and one converted from AAT"

That sentence I don't quite understand but I'd be happy to tell you what the difference is between an Avid omf and an omf produced from a non Avid source (obviously I would then have to kill you).  Also happy to tell you where they differ between embedded & referenced omfs etc

Anyway just email me via the website and we can discuss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 22, 2010 Jan 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still trying to tidy up the Final Cut Pro export function (import seems to be testing ok).

But you can tell I'm getting a bit bored!

In the meantime I've started writing an export function to the AA 1.5 session format - yeah yeah I know....

Anyway anyone with AA1.5, AA2, AA3 or ProConvert should be able to get some benefit I guess.

Writing this function in C so it should be instant - one day I'll' get around to writing a few of the larger ones in C also.

Sigh.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suite Spot wrote:

Writing this function in C so it should be instant - one day I'll' get around to writing a few of the larger ones in C also.

Wait... What were you using before C?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm let me see, there are some Pascal functions, a lot of text processing in compiled basic, a heap of C

code and I think an inline asm call or 2 but don't quote me on the last one

And where have you been young Ron?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can understand Pascal, Basic and C... The inline ASM has got me curious though...

I've been around... Trying to work out some code and work at the same time.  The rain here has given me more work then I'd like though.  People just don't know how to keep expensive electronics from getting wet, but I guess given the size of these storms and how quick it goes from dry to wet to flooded it can get pretty difficult to stay dry...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 13, 2010 Oct 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its been a fair while since our last release but we have been extremely busy so its probably opportune to let everyone know where we are at.

Firstly, there have been some fairly significant changes to AAT and in preparation for release v3.4 we have contacted all currently registered users confirming their registration and contact details.

Version 3.4 will be available in the next few days to registered users via FTP download so if you are a registered user and have NOT yet been contacted then IT WOULD BE WISE to contact us with your registration details ASAP.

A demo version of v3.4 will probably be available a bit further down the track but we have greater priorities at present.  In the meantime potential buyers can always contact us for a conversion from one format to another.

As at right now we are able to export all supported formats to OMF (due to Ron Novy's herculean effort!) and we can import practically all PT7 sessions (more work yet to be done).  This functionality along with additional formats (eg SAW) is expected to be the backbone of v3.5 (but will probably be called v4.0) and should only be a few weeks away.

As we are not a registered charity the bad news is that we expect to raise the price of the $99 version (as well as the upgrade price) at the end of October.

The good news is that ALL users with the $99 version as at the end of October will get this upgrade for FREE as we try our best to support those that have supported us.

So this is a heads up that if you purchased AATranslator for $59 or even $39 and you think that you may need the full version in the future then you should probably get on board before the end of October.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 17, 2010 Oct 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We released version 3.4 early this morning and all registered users should have been contacted by now with the location of the download.

There is currently no demo version for this release - the current demo version (v3.3) should be sufficient to determine the value of the application.

We currently have a number of new formats being tested for version 4.0.
PT7 continues to be tested for v4.0 and OMF export functionality draws closer to completion.

Many thanks to those who help with this release - you will never know how much we appreciate it - seriously you will never know 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 21, 2010 Oct 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have posted an updated version (v3.4.03)

Fixed:
1. Error splitting 24 bit files which contain a 'junk' chunk prior to the 'data' chunk
2. The 'Send Output to....Folder containing source OMF' state now saves on exit
3. If selecting the 'Append' function with this OMF state set on an informative message is displayed
4. The 'hidden' Mac file produced when creating Mac PT5 output is no longer hidden
5. Now correctly handles RPP files which have a "<SOURCE SECTION"
6. Now correctly handles RPP files containing mp3 files - "<SOURCE MP3"

It is posted in the same location as the initial v3.4.0 release

We have had some very promising work done getting PT to read AATranslator markers (PT actually reads them but with a few minor problems) - more on that as work progress.

OMF is working but Ron being the perfectionist that he is is aiming to get track automation working for our first release of OMF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines