Exit

Audition Import / Export to/from other DAWs

Mentor ,
May 06, 2009 May 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well its done!

AATranslator is finally finished.

http://www.aatranslator.com.au/ is where you will find it.

Its been 3 months in the making and as I mentioned previously its not donationware but it is a fully functional demo only limitation is the number of tracks and 'clips'.

Many thanks to John Lundsten from  the UK for the idea of this project, for his tireless efforts testing the application and for his insight as well as the user guide.  Thanks also to Adrian Connelly for additional programming efforts and the interface and also dstDean from this forum for additional testing and encouragement.

Those who have supported me in the past (as at the time of this post) through donating for any of my previous applications are entitled to $50usd off the price for every application they have donated to me in the past.  For some that equals a free copy!  Never let it be said that I don't appreciate your support!

This application is not for everyone but certainly for anyone who needs to move their projects from one DAW to another it is certainly worth a look.

It definitely the only application which currently allows you to import/export from Adobe Audition!

There are many other DAWS in our sights and significant work has already been completed interfacing to Reaper project files and OpenTL files.  These will appear in a free upgrade in the not too distant future.

Enjoy.....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 130 Replies 130
Mentor ,
Oct 21, 2009 Oct 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's it all coming to when we are 15 minutes up the road and we have to communicate via a server half way round the world

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 21, 2009 Oct 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the new world order. Seriously!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 04, 2009 Nov 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick update.

Importing an OMF2 file has all the tracks & clips, fades, track & pan envelopes all pretty much happening.

Lots of testing to do yet.

Small spanner in the works - just got an OMF2 file from DigiTranslator - they must use a different 'standard' to their own 'industry standard' omfs.

One more reason to hate PT 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2009 Nov 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suite Spot wrote:

One more reason to hate PT 

How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways.
I hate thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I hate thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
I hate thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I hate thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I hate with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.

- with abject apologies to Elizabeth Barrett Browning, but it certainly sums it up quite well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 14, 2009 Dec 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks to JL's prompt and thorough job with the doco & testing AATranslator v2.2 is now available (don't all rush at once).

We managed to get a pretty good translation of an OMF as well as OpenTL format.

We had a lot of problems converting Avid Media Composer Omfs and we intend to try and rectify that in a later version but there is a warning to that effect when an Avid omf is detected.  This was mainly due to the 'different' way in which they work internally plus we were unable to get enough for testing.

Anyway its there and after a few bourbons (or some Irish Whiskey) its back into it for the next version.

As always before parting with your hard earned cash test this application for its suitabilty to cater for your translation needs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 22, 2010 Jan 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked - it's some code I was experimenting with to speed up omf conversion (before rewriting it all in C) - I actually don't use it production.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 23, 2010 Jan 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes ASM is great for testing, but not good enough for distribution... I've written code for fun on and off for years and I've used Basic, Pascal, C and I once wrote a graphics file converter completely in x86 Assembly (hacking old Playstation games in high school).  It worked long enough to satisfy my curiosity and then it crashed the hard drive it was on.   I got most of my data back, but the good thing about that massive failure is that I learned what not to use assembly for...

Anyway, I can't sleep now so I guess it's back to some coding...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 27, 2010 Jan 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ron thanks for that stuff you sent me - been caught up with writing AA1.5 session files - pretty well got the bulk of it done and surprisingly they load into AA1.5 & AA3 which is a good thing.

Just deciphering the AA1.5 "blk2" section - it seems I didn't need that when converting from AA

I just love reading hex with my morning Weet Bix

Ron I will get to that code asap and see if I can compile it and then convert it to a windoze dll - many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 27, 2010 Jan 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem.   I tested the code on MSVC and it compiles fine.  So now it works with MSVC, MinGW and Borland 5.5, but I still can't be 100% sure about older Borland versions.

It seems I never bothered with blk2 either...  If I remember correctly though it may have the hue and other information for clips from CEP2 on up.  The Audition SDK might give you some better hints though.  Any structure in the SSF section of the SDK with BLOCK_INFO in it could be relevant...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 30, 2010 Jan 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it seems you have to bother with it when recreating a ses file

I'm not really sure what it does either but what I have cobbled together seems to do the trick.

Got to bed just after 5am and up to start recording a drum session at 9.30am been a long day but I have managed to finish creating a 1.5 ses file that not only loads correctly but can be reat by AATranslator itself and converted to all the other formats - pretty pleased I can tell you.

The last hurdle I had (which is now fixed) was there was a single sample difference in the start point for each clip for the clip envelopes which was most annoying when converting to say Reaper the front end of the envelope was turned to mush

But all good now - have sent it off to JL for testing.

I have some sample/frame conversion issues to deal with for FCP (frames just aren't as accurate as samples) then I'm diving into this code that Ron has graciously sent me.

I do need an additional FCP tester if there is one out there.........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 18, 2010 Feb 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well version 2.3 of AATranslator is now available and there's also a dodgy video which I've quickly slapped together and it really shows why I don't have a career in radio 🙂 - I'll redo it when I get some time.

Lots of enhancements, fixes and new formats including writing AA1.5 session files.

We have already started on the next version where we are hoping to be able to produce omf files and a few other enhancements but its still early days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 25, 2010 Feb 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes we clearly have nothing better to do......

We will have another version of AATranslator ready in a couple of days and this version will include:-

• Further improved Steinberg XML support
  • Support for Presonus' OpenTL files
  • Overall improvement in OpenTL support
  • Significant support (bar envelopes) for Paris OMFs (who cares you say? A heap of Paris users that's who)
  • Additions to the documentation (who cares you say? No-one - who reads the manual anyway)
  • Some other stuff which quite frankly I don't remember

Updates are still free (my second favourite four letter word starting with "F") - why?

Because we are making so much money out of this application that I've actually got enough to pay the $60 for a copy of Reaper so I can continue testing with a clear conscience 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2010 Mar 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Ozzie partner said

We will have another version of AATranslator ready in a couple of days and this version will include:-

• Further improved Steinberg XML support
  • Support for Presonus' OpenTL files
  • Overall improvement in OpenTL support
  • Significant support (bar envelopes) for Paris OMFs (who cares you say? A heap of Paris users that's who)
  • Additions to the  documentation (who cares you say? No-one - who reads the manual anyway)
  • Some  other stuff which quite frankly I don't remember

Updates are still free (my second favorite four letter word starting with "F") - why?

Because we are making so much money out of this application  that I've actually got enough to pay the $60 for a copy of Reaper so I  can continue testing with a clear conscience :-)"

Ok, as Suite S implies we are crazy, the amount of work that has gone into this app is extreme, think I'm on way less than $1/hr for the work I have done.

And yes, as the beta tester, find any fault I can guy, I reckon the next release of AATranslator is pretty impressive.

"Additions to the  documentation (who cares you say? No-one - who reads the manual anyway)"

Well I care for sure, I write this stuff. A problem as I see it is that in many ways the prog is very easy to understand, and  for some conversions from apps that actually follow "rules" there is no great need for any Xtra info.

But when it comes to "loose" flaky even, formats like Steinberg XML, PT, FCP, OMF- big time, well and a lot more to be honest, reading notes is vital, unless you have loads of time to waste not getting a successful translation, when we have been there, know how to translate from A to B, and have info/notes to let you know too!

"Some  other stuff which quite frankly I don't remember"

Well, we can actually read the strange / loose interpretation of the Apple XML format that Logic Pro offers (BTW SSL Pro Convert can make no sense of a Logic-xml at all).

Again handy for Logic users TL support is much extended {hey if any proof were needed that the Germans do indeed have a (ironic) sense of humor .....calling the prog Logic is proof indeed - or wonderful & powerful yes for sure it is, logical absolutely no-way!! }.

Splitting both wav & aif files has been improved. There is more but I can't rememer either 😞

John L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 01, 2010 Mar 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I'm talking about - JL knows his stuff and is worth every cent of that $1 an hour 🙂

But seriously (as if us aussies could be) John has put a serious amount of time in to keeping me honest with the testing and coming up with some very helpful and informative documentation and just making sure this application does as much as it can.

My thanks go out to him and all those who support us in taking on the big boys 🙂

And yes we must be crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 05, 2010 Mar 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes those crazy boys are back!

Version 2.4 of AATranslator is now available for download

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 06, 2010 Mar 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suite Spot wrote:

Yes those crazy boys are back!

Version 2.4 of AATranslator is now available for download

...and just in case you need the URL without going to the very first post, it is http://www.aatranslator.com.au/ ,,,,

--Dean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 19, 2010 Mar 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have finally nailed that pesky PT5 session format!

Once tested and released this will enable Audition/CEP users to take their sessions (XML or SES) and convert them to a PT5 session format which can be read by any PT version 5 or later.

They can also take a PT omf and convert it to an AA 1.5 ses or AA3 xml file.

Woo Hoo!

How good is that! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2010 Mar 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see why you might want to convert a PT session to run in Audition, but the other way around sounds like - well, I'm not sure but it isn't going to be good - PT's mix engine is crap!

But congratulations on your success - perhaps you can get some sleep now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I'm aiming for a pre 3am night - an early mark for once :-).

For some unknown reason it seems that some people feel compelled to use that (PT) junk and apparently anything that isn't 'compatible' is seen as inferior - such is the power of marketing I guess.

Me?  I'll stick with AA and I'm even more of that opinion after having worked with so many other daws 🙂

And yes some daws were injured in the making of this software 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suite Spot wrote:

And yes some daws were injured in the making of this software 🙂

PT was injured well before you started doing that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve G wrote

"I can see why you might want to convert a PT session to run in Audition,  but the other way around sounds like - well, I'm not sure but it isn't  going to be good - PT's mix engine is crap!"

sad to say the crappyness of the PT DAE seems not to be an apperent issue to many. hey if it were widly know  there would be no PT.

Roll on the day.

BTW testing is going well

JL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad you have persevered. Congratulations. Well done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks fot that - JL is currently keeping me honest with his usual detailed testing so by the end of the weekend this should be rock solid.

Currently working on an obligatory split stereo function for the PT export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 28, 2010 Mar 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't sleep for 3 days but I have finally sent a PT export version off to JL to thrash - he dont sleep much either.

But its British summer (I always thought it was 12 hours on April 3rd) and what better to be doing than testing 🙂

It has taken days of painstaking work trying to sort out what PT does with video (and btw its different depends on if its mov or avi - and what sort of ar$e would use both little & big endian in the same file).

I totally rewrote our PT import module and its pretty well rock solid and requires a lot less mucking around when saving out of PT.

I have a couple of things to tidy up like pan envelopes, deal with fade files, write a small AVI section etc.

Anyway sleep now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2010 Mar 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suite Spot wrote:

But its British summer....

ROTFLMAO - It's going to snow again next week!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines