• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bit Depth for Export Audio of Selected Range Markers

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting audio of selected range markers to separate files in Audition there are a number of export options.  For sample type, I need 44100 Hz Mono, 16-bit.  However, Audition always changes the Bit Depth to 32-bit (float).  Does anyone else have this issue with bit depth changing on export?  All my files are set up and saved at 16-bit. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Well I know what's confusing you...

Here are the settings:

Export MP3 settings.JPG

And here's the proof that it's correct:

Export Settings 2.JPG

But - and it's an important but - if you open that MP3 file in Audition, it will show as a 44.1k 32-bit file. And that's because it is, when opened by Audition. Audition decodes all MP3 files as 32-bit, as everything has to get decoded into Audition's native format to open at all. Audition is emphatically not an MP3 editor! So if you want to do this, you have to trust Audition to get it right, I'm af

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should really keep all your files as 32 bit float until such time as you make them available for distribution. 32 bit float is Audition's native bit depth and allows you to edit and change levels of your audio without any losses. Saving as only 16 bit and then re-editing can cause loss of audio fidelity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice.  However, when there's a recording that's split into 20+ range markers and Audition will only export them as 32-bit files, that's 20+ files that need to be individually adjusted.  Audition should export at the bit depth I select.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

supermancourt  wrote

Thanks for the advice.  However, when there's a recording that's split into 20+ range markers and Audition will only export them as 32-bit files, that's 20+ files that need to be individually adjusted.  Audition should export at the bit depth I select.

And it does - if you select the correct options:

Exporting range markers.JPG

If you click on 'Change' at the end of the Sample Type entry, you get the box on the right, which gives you all the options you need. In that screengrab it's still 32-bit but if you click on the down-arrow you get the complete range of options, and also you can set the dither options as well, which you might well need if you're exporting as 16-bit files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I use that option to change the bit depth, then export the files. When I check the new files, however, they're at 32-bit (float). Give it a try and let me know if you get the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

supermancourt  wrote

When I check the new files, however, they're at 32-bit (float).

Well I don't know what you're doing wrong, but if I export the marked ranges from a 32-bit file as 16-bit ints, then that's definitely what they open as - I just checked:

Export file format.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking.  I've done that exact same thing, then when I open the file again and check its properties it's 32-bit (float).  I've also confirmed this through another DAW.  Perhaps it's a bug in my installation of Audition.  I'm going to try a complete removal and then reinstall the software to see if it's still happening.  If you have any other ideas please let me know.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SteveG, I noticed you kept the file as a WAV format.  When I did that the export worked.  I did a complete program removal and a clean install to make sure there weren't any odd settings.  Here's what I'm trying to do:

• Exisitng WAV file at 41/16 with range markers
  • Export selected range markers to separate files
  • Export files will be 128 Mp3 at 41/16

Could you show what settings you use to accomplish this?  I have someone who needs the files at these settings.  Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I know what's confusing you...

Here are the settings:

Export MP3 settings.JPG

And here's the proof that it's correct:

Export Settings 2.JPG

But - and it's an important but - if you open that MP3 file in Audition, it will show as a 44.1k 32-bit file. And that's because it is, when opened by Audition. Audition decodes all MP3 files as 32-bit, as everything has to get decoded into Audition's native format to open at all. Audition is emphatically not an MP3 editor! So if you want to do this, you have to trust Audition to get it right, I'm afraid, or use some other method of checking, like the file properties above - on the General tab it confirms that it's an MP3, and the details confirm the bit rate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, SteveG.  Yes, you're correct that opening the Mp3 file in Audition was fooling me by showing 32-bit.  I'll just trust the export is sending files out in the correct format I select.  Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good job that one of us knows what's going on, isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, thanks for showing me your big but. It was very helpful to see that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines