Deep warm booming broadcaster voice

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Audition CC 2015.1 build 8.1.0.162

Macbook Pro OSX Yosemite 10.10.5, 16 GB RAM, Intel Core i7

Microphone is MXL 990 USB Stereo

Can someone tell or show me the best way to take an raw audio track of my voice over, and turn it into a Deep warm booming broadcaster voice, without leaving behind any unpleasant artifacts, and with minimal steps ?

Thanks,

Craig

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

use parametric equalizer to raise lower frequencies. I was going for a smooth voice that you could listen to for hours. too boomy and your ears get tired.

studio reverb affect only freqs 300hz and below. rolloff high freqs, multiband compression, bs1770

capture noise print, adaptive noise removal. heal spikes, remove clipping etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without hearing your voice, then no we can't give you definitive steps.

If your voice isn't a long way there already though, it's not going to be that easy to achieve this without pitch alteration as well as some EQ, and that doesn't always work so well for VOs. But as I said, we'd need to hear what you have to work with first.

Due to - well, I don't know why really, but it's slightly bizarre - you can't post audio files onto the Adobe audio forum. You have to put them in something like Dropbox and post a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Steve hints, there's no magic way to created the deep warm booming broadcaster voice.  Most times, people who sound like that have, well, deep warm booming voices.

However, before you even get to Audition, there are some things you can do.  Ideally you'd have a different microphone but assuming that's not an option, use a pop screen and work right up close to the mic for the maximum "proximity effect" which enhances the bass.  Similarly, you can help your self by working on your "chest voice" and actually imitating the voice you're after.

Within Audition there are some effects presets designed to enhance/exaggerate voice overs.  Without hearing your voice, it's hard to suggest which ones to use (even as a starting point) but looking at things like Effects/Amplitude and Compression/Mutliband Compressor/Broadcast or Effects/Amplitude and Compression/Tube Modelled Compressor and one of the Vocal Booster or Voice Thickener but those can only be guesses.   It's worth noting though that any of these will work better if your original recording is as close as possible to what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a couple more quick questions.

Does a Pre-amp and/or a mixer help ?

In addition to the MXL 990 USB Mic, I have tried a Rode NT1-A with a M-Audio  MobilePre USB Preamp, without much difference.  Maybe these are too low-end ?

I get the part about having the voice to start with.  Here is a sample of the voice:

Dropbox - Track 2_11.zip

Let me know,

Thanks,

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It says that your folder is empty... it appears here as just a zipped folder. Best thing to do is put the file into the Dropbox public folder, right-click and get the public link to the file - then we'll get it.

Preamps and mixers make very little difference to what you are trying to do. Microphones do, but there's nothing wrong with Rode NT1-A's - they'll do fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is for an instructional video, I don't think that you need to do too much to your voice at all - except slow down slightly, I'd say. The other problem you have is a very high level of background noise - you really do need to get that quieter; it makes the voice sound more 'authoritative', if you like. Getting slightly closer to the mic (and using a good pop shield) might help a bit, and talk slightly across it rather than directly into it.

Yes, you could use 'broadcaster' processing, but I wouldn't go too far with it, as it gets tiring to listen to if it's for continuous dialogue. It's really meant for the 'that was - this is' style of broadcasting rather than instruction-giving. One of the characteristics of it is that it has considerably reduced dynamics, mainly to cope with medium wave transmitters I think, and it's this mainly that makes it harder to listen to for too long. It's fine to knock the peaks off your voice, and this will mean that you can get the average level a bit higher, but I really don't think that you should go too far with this.

IOW, I think you might be doing a bit better than you think!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2017 Jun 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you for showing the direction - effects >> amplitude and compression >> multiband compressor >> preset "enhance hights" did sort out my voice recorded (that was recorded too deep/low). H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does this sound like what you want?

CreativeCOW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chrisw - Yes. A little more bass maybe ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

use parametric equalizer to raise lower frequencies. I was going for a smooth voice that you could listen to for hours. too boomy and your ears get tired.

studio reverb affect only freqs 300hz and below. rolloff high freqs, multiband compression, bs1770

capture noise print, adaptive noise removal. heal spikes, remove clipping etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines