• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Demo version for Audition ver 5.5 ?

New Here ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a sound engineer, mostly working in the UK TV sector (BBC etc). Next week I need to work in some studios which use Adobe Audition. It's a long time since I used Audition so I figured on downloading a demo version to refresh my memory. However, this studio is still running ver5.5.

I tried to find a demo product on Adobe's web site and realised that Audition seems to be up to ver10 now. So I'm assuming that a ver10 demo won't have much in common any more with ver5.5.

Is there anywhere where I can obtain older demos (e.g. 5.5)? Or are the basics still pretty much the same?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

If you can make that 5.5 demo work, that's your best bet.  However, 5.5 was the first of a new style of working that has continued through until the latest versions (though the latest have MANY add ons.  However if you're doing simple editing and mixing, you'll likely find 5.5 is similar to the latest version in the range in basic operation.

One other thing on the trials...recently Adobe changed the trial period from 4 weeks to 1 week.  I don't know if this change is back dated but it's something

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Audition CS5.5 was the first version that was cross-platform (PC/MAC).  As a result, it was very much a "work in progress" and a number of features present in the prior version 3.01 did not make it into 5.5.

CS6 was the next version (and a considerable "upgrade") and, as you say, the current CC version is at 10.1.1.11.

I don't still have 5.5 installed but I do have 6 and the differences between it and the latest CC are pretty dramatic.  I can't even begin to list those differences (because I'm not a power-user and many of them may not be directly evident to me) but I'm sure if SteveG or ryclark sees this thread they may well be able to offer you some guidance.

So, can you "learn" on the latest CC and apply your knowledge to 5.5?  Theoretically yes, but I suspect you would quickly find that something you can do in CC is just not possible in 5.5, even ignoring the fact that the latest versions are 64 bit only and 5.5 was 32 bit (only), I think!

Edit: as to a demo version of 5.5, almost certainly impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response emmrecs. Am I right in thinking that Adobe Audition used to be called Cool Edit Pro? If so, maybe I'd be better trying to find an old version of Cool Edit Pro somewhere..?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johne1953  wrote

Thanks for the quick response emmrecs. Am I right in thinking that Adobe Audition used to be called Cool Edit Pro? If so, maybe I'd be better trying to find an old version of Cool Edit Pro somewhere..?

No, that's going back way too far - it was radically different then. To all intents and purposes though, Adobe has put Audition 3 in the public domain, and that version is far closer to current than any of the Syntrillium versions. Look at this FAQ, and follow the links... Audition 3 and the activation service

But as emmrecs points out, Audition CS 5.5 was really a 'proof-of-concept' version, and indeed Audition 3 does all sorts of things that CS 5.5 doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve. I followed that link and found 2 x files which looked like they might be an installer for v3 - one was called ADBEAudition_loopology.exe and the other is ADBEAudition_ESD1_WWEFGJIS.exe

Are either of those the version 3 installer or is it somewhere else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The second file you list is the installer.  The first installs Audition Loopology, a collection of audio loops, sound effects etc.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And remember that you will need the serial number given alongside the downloadable file to make the installation work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I found this web page which seems to allow me to download Adobe Audition CS5.5 :-

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-suite/kb/cs5-5-product-downloads.html

Is CS5.5 something different from ordinary 5.5? (or is the above download maybe not a demo version?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That page certainly does list AA 5.5 as downloadable.  However, I suspect it will not install without a valid serial number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The download is a demo version, unless activated by a legitimate serial number. This means that it will run without restriction for a month, and then stop working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can make that 5.5 demo work, that's your best bet.  However, 5.5 was the first of a new style of working that has continued through until the latest versions (though the latest have MANY add ons.  However if you're doing simple editing and mixing, you'll likely find 5.5 is similar to the latest version in the range in basic operation.

One other thing on the trials...recently Adobe changed the trial period from 4 weeks to 1 week.  I don't know if this change is back dated but it's something to watch out for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone for all the help here. I installed Audition CS5.5 and I'm just getting to grips with it. I'll ask any questions in their own threads - but just one quick question...

Let's say I record a clip in the timeline but the audio's a bit low. I can increase the gain on playback but AFAICT that doesn't affect the waveform height (as seen for that particular clip on the timeline). Is there a way to improve the waveform visibility too (i.e. increase its height) ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johne1953  wrote

Let's say I record a clip in the timeline but the audio's a bit low. I can increase the gain on playback but AFAICT that doesn't affect the waveform height (as seen for that particular clip on the timeline). Is there a way to improve the waveform visibility too (i.e. increase its height) ?

If you mean, can you simply increase the visual height of the wave form without increasing its actual audio level, the answer is No.  Why would you want to change the visual without also changing the audible?

By far the easiest method of increasing the overall output level of the file and, by so doing, the visual height of the waveform on the screen, is to simply "Normalise" the file.  This process checks what is the current peak level of the file and then increases the whole file by the amount needed to make that peak a level that you determine.  So, if the current peak is -20dB and you select to "Normalise to -3dB" the whole file will see an increase so that the peak level now becomes -3dB.  And the visual representation of the waveform will also "grow".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to expand on what emrecs said, there IS some logic here.  Working in Multitrack View, all changes are "non destructive" in that the effects/level changes/etc. are applied in real time without making any change to your original file.  Since the file stays unaltered, so does the graphical display of the waverform.

Even in Waveform View, no permanent changes are made to your files until you apply the effect then Save (or Save As) the result.

In Waveform, I agree with emrecs that the easiest way to handle this is to simply use Normalise.  However, I'd also say that, if you persevere, you may soon find that you prefer editing in Multitrack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys - am I right in thinking that Waveform View in fact edits the underlying clip? (i.e. it's a destructive audio editor?) If so, I'm just curious to know why it wasn't called (say) Clip View (or maybe Clip Edit)

I'm not complaining... it's just that "Waveform View" doesn't seem to describe its underlying purpose (?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL!  You'll interested to know that, some years back (I'm not sure how many) Waveform View was, indeed, called "Edit View".  However, the Multirack view now has darn near as many edit features as Waveform, with the benefit of not needing to hit Save or Save As to keep your changes.  I suspect that's why the name change.  I now use Waveform view only occasionally--usually only for super simple stuff (like normalising a clip) or for Effects that are too processor intensive for real time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johne1953  wrote

I'm not complaining... it's just that "Waveform View" doesn't seem to describe its underlying purpose (?)

Well you might think that until you've tried to make a waveform fully visible in Multitrack view...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I still prefer to call it the Waveform Edit view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines