• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Distorted sound when recording in waveform (new audio file)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Since yesterday I have a distorted sound when I record my audio in waveform (new audio file). The sound is robotic. 

I use the Audition 2022 version, with a scarlett focusrite (usb), macbook and a Rode NT1A mic which is connected to the scarlett interface via XLR cable. 

When I record in multitrack, the sound is normal. So I'm thinking there is a problem with the waveform settings, but can't find which one. 

Does anyone have a suggestion? 

Valerie

TOPICS
Audio hardware

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that your gain on the scarlett is not set too high and that you are clipping your input at the source

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

The problem only appears when I record in waveform. Not when I record in multitrack. 

Valerie 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said "since yesterday" this has been happening - what happened between then and now?

I don't know much about Macs (unless they come with a coke & fries) but check that the Mac's internal audio is turned off and only the scarlett is controlling the audio or that there isn't some interaction happening betweeen the two

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing, it seems indeed there is some interruption, but weird only in waveform and multitrack. I've checked every time in preferences if the correct audio input (Scarlett) was selected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post a file of what this sounds like? Recording in Waveform view is completely different to recording in Multitrack - it involves recording via a temp file, and this is likely to be where trouble emanates from...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, file when recording in waveform in attach. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It definitely sounds as though something strange is happening with the temp file. Initially the thing to do is to relocate it into its own directory instead of a shared space, and see if that makes a difference. You can do this from Edit>Preferences>Media and Disk Cache, and it's the Primary Temp you need to relocate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

I've tried it, restarted Audition and so far no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm... this is, I believe, the second incidence of this that I'm aware of and I'm not aware that we got any more feedback from the last one. It's definitely not overload distortion - it's like the system is using a very short buffer and it's not filling quickly enough. The classic solution to this is to increase the I/O buffer or latency value, and it's worth trying this (it's in the Audio Hardware settings), just to see if it makes any difference at all. Unless we can find something that at least affects this, we aren't going to be able to get to the root of the problem...

I'm also aware that this is on a Mac, and I don't have one of those, so I'm not entirely aware of what might be different from this point of view - so there may be something else going on. Ultimately if we can't find an obvious cure, I'll refer it to a higher authority.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve, 

I've tried increasing the I/O buffer, but doesn't make a difference. 

Yesterday a friend who also uses Audition at work told me he had the same issue there on 12 different laptops (I'll ask him to answer to this post too). Robot sound in waveform, okay in multisolution. IT looked at it and couldn't fix the problem. If I'm not the only one, it seems to me there is a general bug in Audition, no? Or maybe just in Belgium (does that even make a difference)? 

Valerie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enquiries have been made...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, MacBook Pro (Montery), Audition 22.
Recording in waveform gives a robot voice Recording, in multitrack works perfectly.
Problem is on multiple devices ( 8 MacBook Pro tried)
Recording done through Focusrite and through internal micro makes no difference, always distorted.
Also tried all possible settings.

Audition updated 8 days ago and has worked in the meantime (since Monday we have this problem)

Anyone ????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share a screenshot of your Audition Audio Hardware preferences screen to start troubleshooting.  The recording sounds a lot like a sample rate mismatch from a quick listen.

_durin__0-1640191612481.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CBC6F2E3-0AD6-436B-ADDA-DBF926A8EB8A.jpeg

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any luck on figuring this out? I was recording just fine then this suddenly happened. I thought it was my microphone till I tried recording in Quicktime to test and the mic is fine. I heard your samle recording and mine soud exactly like yours. Same distortion. I was recording multiple takes of a script and hadn't changed any settings when this started. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because of original poster here, I learned recording in multi-track is a fix. However, there's no reason this should be happening. Would love some attention on this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was recording in stereo. Switched to mono and it's fine now. Try that if you've stubled into these depths. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, recording in multi or mono seems to be the only solution. For some recordings I need to record in stereo, so I usually record in multitrack. However, as you said, this should be fixed at the core. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am suddenly experiencing the same problem. Did it ever get fixed for you guys?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this applies to anyone but I just found a fix for myself.
I'm using a shure smb7 with a scarlet 2i2 interface meaning I only channel mono audio from my scarlet. I followed the fixes above and nothing happened.

I went to 'Audio channel remapping' and changed the file changes from my original (channel 1) to (channel 1 and 2) this seemed to have fixed the disorted audio for some reason. 

Anyways, hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked.. I've had exact set up and problem as asuinaa... finxed now. TY!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines