• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing multiple tracks at once in Audition

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2015 Aug 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if this is obvious, but all my search attempts have lead to answers for a related but different question.

In Adobe Audition, I have two audio tracks (a conversation between two people).  I'd like to perform cuts/trims/fades on both simultaneously in order to preserve their timing in relationship to each other, but am unable to intuit how to select both tracks at once.

Thanks for the help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 24, 2015 Aug 24, 2015

Hi Nate,

Please refer the following links, they might help with this issue :

Nate Venet wrote:

Sorry if this is obvious, but all my search attempts have lead to answers for a related but different question.

In Adobe Audition, I have two audio tracks (a conversation between two people). 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl+click on each track - they will be added to the selection.

Personally, with a late version of Audition, I'd do something else though. If you have two identical tracks that line up, then you can combine them into a single file - this will make subsequent manipulation somewhat easier. If it's two stereo tracks, then in waveform view go File>New and then the 'custom' option, and select the number of tracks you need - four in this instance. Now you can go to each original file in turn, copy it to the clipboard and paste it into your new file. To do this, select your new, empty four channel file, activate only the channels you want to paste into, and paste them. Now select the other file, copy it, and activate the other pair of channels. Now you can paste the other file into them and save the result. This gives you a single 4-channel file that will be a lot easier to manipulate, both in waveform and multitrack views.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nate,

Please refer the following links, they might help with this issue :

Nate Venet wrote:

In Adobe Audition, I have two audio tracks (a conversation between two people).  I'd like to perform cuts/trims/fades on both simultaneously in order to preserve their timing in relationship to each other, but am unable to intuit how to select both tracks at once.

Thanks for the help!

I would recommend you to use use the information responsibly.

Regards,
Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming a recent version of Audition the simple answer is to group all the clips on the 2 tracks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The snag with the clip grouping idea is that if you have the whole of the interview in two files, every time you want to place a new instance of them, you have to regroup them. If it's all in one file in the first place, you can place this as many times as you want (yes, you may have to do this if you want the interview out of its original order). With the multichannel file, you don't have to do this. Clip merging won't help either - they'd need to be on the same track.

But with a multichannel file, you could just as easily (possibly more easily) do your edit in waveform view, and then just sort out the levels in multitrack, and do a mixdown to stereo.

And Jason's Audio Editing video doesn't cover any of this. Nor do the help files...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood - its just that that is how I work - I might have a drum kit of a dozen tracks or a number of guitar tracks which require extensive editing and may result in a huge number of groups due to the heavy editing and with lots of sections being re-used.

For the OPs scenario either way will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a multitrack session and combine the files, queueing them up so that they match. Then double-click each track separately to delete the sound from each of the track channels you don't want (Deselect the wanted channel, then do a Select All of the unwanted channel and hit the Delete key). You'll have to do this individually for each track. Return to the Mixdown and export the file as a Mixdown, which puts all the tracks into one stereo file, which you can then edit normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nvenet​, from your post, it sounds like you are trying to do typical dialog editing in the standard way, that is, each speaker on a different track, checkerboard style. In such cases, you want to crossfade one speaker into another with an identical fade, but I don't think that is possible in Audition (at least in CS6), unlike a crossfade between two clips on the same track. You can only use the fade handles on each clip and try to get them to match within the overlap. If you have the same (in-phase) material that you're fading, you'd typically want a 6 dB midpoint attenuation in the fade to avoid a rise in volume during the fade. Good luck getting two clips on separate tracks to match doing it by hand. I believe you may be looking for a feature in ProTools that let's you apply the same fade to two clips that overlap on different tracks. Don't know if this has been added to CC versions, but is badly needed.

After reading much about dialog editing in my current project, mostly from people in the industry using ProTools, I was surprised to find I couldn't do it in Audition. I (felt like I) was forced to put everything on one track to do accurate fades, which is not ideal, but workable. It limits your options in keeping a good mix separated. If I misunderstood your question, ignore the above. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GrizzlyAK  wrote

I believe you may be looking for a feature in ProTools that let's you apply the same fade to two clips that overlap on different tracks. Don't know if this has been added to CC versions, but is badly needed.

That is one of two things that I'd like to be added in terms of cross-fades. The other one is that I'd like, at crossover points on a single track, to have 50% transparency on each of the overlaps. That way, it would make it a whole lot easier to align different takes of the same thing (something I do a lot of). At present, I have to use the CTI to assist in this process, and it's not ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

double tap R and it activates the "razor all" tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for reopening this old threat, but I also seem to have a problem with editing multiple tracks at once with the current Audition version. Does somebody know how to do this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to add that I want to the same  'scientific filter'' for all the music tracks so that it has the same frequency bandwidth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Follow the instructions referred to all over this thread carefully as far as multiple track editing is concerned - it all works fine, as described. If you want to use the same filter settings on multiple tracks, you have two options: The first is to save a preset, and just use multiple instances of the effect. The second is to use a bus track, route your music tracks to it and just have one instance of the filter on the bus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines