Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find it. Where is it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

I think I know what the OP's talking about...

If you apply the Dynamics Processor to a track in Multitrack, you'll find that in the top right-hand corner there's a button to the left of the channel map one that says 'set side-chain input'. This will enable you to set the dynamics processor to follow (withing the conditions you set in it) the level envelope of another track.

Is that what you mean? The only other uses of the term that I'm aware of involve hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

If you want Volume, Pan or Effects envelopes, these can be turned on and off in the View Menu.  Just select (or unselect) Volume Envelopes, Pan Envelopes and/or Effects Envelopes.  note that this only work in Multitrack view.

Or, if you want a full automation lane, these can be turned on and off in the Editing Panel at the left end of each track.  Once you've sized your track enough vertically to see the Automation Window, use the small arrow to the left of this control to open and close the automation lane--right facing is off, downward facing shows the automation lane.  Again, this is a feature in Multitrack view.  The Waveform view is for destructive editing and non-realtime effects.

This tutorial gives a good overview of how it all works:  Automate mixes with envelopes in Adobe Audition CC

But if I've guessed wrong about what your question is about, please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I know what the OP's talking about...

If you apply the Dynamics Processor to a track in Multitrack, you'll find that in the top right-hand corner there's a button to the left of the channel map one that says 'set side-chain input'. This will enable you to set the dynamics processor to follow (withing the conditions you set in it) the level envelope of another track.

Is that what you mean? The only other uses of the term that I'm aware of involve hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a manual for an older edition of Audition. I read that under Effects there is an option called Envelope Follower. WIth this option you can define a waveform as an analysis wave . Then I can apply the amplitude variations to another waveform. I have an assignment to do where I have to generate sine tones , mix them and in the final tone I get (consisting of the harmonics/the mixed sine waves) I have to apply the amplitude variations to apporach the timbre of various instruments for given notes. It is very laborious to do manually and the tool Envelope Follower would be quite handy. But I cannot find it in Audition Cc 2017. Attached screenshots from the tutorial. If tAudition CC 2017 doesnt have this option, I think my last resort is what SteveG says. SteveG, some screenshots of how to do what you say would be VERY helpfulenvelope follower 1.JPGenvelope follower 2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last version that the envelope follower was in was Audition 3 - a long time ago.

You might want to have a careful look at this thread:

Audition 3 and the activation service

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The listed "correct answer" to the OP's question is not, in fact, correct at all.

He's looking for an effect, Envelope Follower, that adobe removed from the software.

Why they did this is beyond me. It was one of my favorite and most-used effects, years ago. I want it back. But nope, they downgraded the software and took it away.

I believe there are other effects that were removed in addition to Envelope Follower (a Vocoder, I think?) but I can't remember what...the Envelope Follower was the one I loved best.

Bring it back, Adobe.

[Moderator note: edited for language on a public forum]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of the features that were supposedly 'removed' weren't actually removed at all - they are still in Audition 3, which is why I said to look at the Audition 3 thread carefully. What happened with Audition 5.5 was a proof-of-concept complete rewrite of the entire software from the ground up, to enable it to be dual-platform. In order to get it released at all to a timetable that wasn't of Audition's making, it was not possible to include all of the features of the previous version.

What has happened since is that there is a features backlog list, and it's a matter of commercial clout that determines what gets highest priority to be included in future versions - this is clout from the people with thousands of seats, not individual users. These are the people that are effectively keeping Adobe in business. Now, if an individual comes up with an idea that the commercial users find favour with, then hey, it might get included in an update. But don't go running away with the idea that any of us can do any more than make suggestions, because that really is about it - it's the commercial thumbs-up that's what's required.

So no, the software wasn't 'downgraded' as such. It was the development model that changed. You may not like it - I may not particularly like aspects of it either (like the 'rental' model) - but It's the commercial reality of staying in business, I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was in Version 3, and it's not in the current version. I don't know what you call it, but I call it a downgrade. Of course there's elaborate / complicated reasons for it, sure, but it still is what it is -- removing features from updates and upgrades = downgrading the product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a feature I've ever used since I first started with Audition when it was Cool Edit.

Just a thought though...could you achieve the same goal by routing your various tracks to a bus then applying the level changes to the bus?  Since you want them to be identical in each track (at least that's what the follower would do, applying a single envelope to the bus track should give you what you want.  Indeed, I wonder if the addition of buses is one of the reasons the less-flexible feature was dropped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As others have mentioned, not all of the features from the old CoolEdit (then Audition <= 3.0.1) codebase have made it back to the current cross-platform versions. Each cycle, we try to bring back more functionally where there's demand. I would recommend making a request here which helps the priority: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines