• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export Clip and add silence

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I export an audio clip and add silence in front of it so it matches up with the other tracks?  This will make it much easier for an editor to slide it in as a separate track without needing to try and get the timing right as they can just put the left edge up to the beginning of the track.  I know there's a way to do this but can't find it - thanks!  

TOPICS
Export , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as a clip is shorter than the file it's come from, you can slide it within Multitrack. You don't need silence at the start of it - just use the automation to mute the parts you don't want to hear before (and/or after) the piece you actually want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I don't understand.  What automation (link to show how to use it)?  The use case here is that I'm sending clips to a person who isn't using Audition (using another DAW and I send WAV files) and if it exports only the clip with no silence padding at least in the front end of it, they have big challenges fitting it into a song on beat in the correct place. I've tried this myself and it's not easy with music. So padding the front portion with silence would allow them to just put the track in as a separate track, and butt the left side up against the starting point and viola, no need to fiddle with moving the clip around, it's where it's supposed to be in the song / music track as they both start at the exact same time.  Thanks for answering and again, I appreciate the help!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which DAW does your friend use?

suspect that possibly the "easiest" method to be able to do what you want is to invest in AA Translator.  Then, you would save your .sesx file, open it in AA Translator and have the app convert your Audition session file to the "project file" format that your friend's DAW can read.  Then, send the converted "session/project" file, along with your .wavs, to your friend and have him open the project in his DAW with all your tracks/.wavs in exactly their correct places on the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They use Reaper.  Further clarification of the use case - think of it as a song with various parts.  I might record only the second chorus and want to send it to the mixing person.  Exporting it without the silence makes it difficult to fit into the right spot.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presumably, in recording only the second chorus you also have the other sections of the complete song on your computer?  So, essentially, you are "dropping in" your contribution to an already-existing "skeleton"?  Assuming you have all the curretnly-existing bones of that skeleton, I still think that my suggestion of using AA Translator would be of benefit to both you and your mixing person.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Emmrecs and SteveG are right AATranslator is your best bet
Email me your sesx and Iwill convert it to a Reaper session and you can judge the results for yourself
info@aatranslator.com.au

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use the Multitrack automation (there are lots of videos available explaining this, and this is an easy task), then exporting the clip should result in just the audio you want, and silence where you've silenced it with the automation. But I think emmrecs is probably right - export the session in the session format that your friend uses. Then everything should end up in the same place you left it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines