• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extract audio from CD fails in Win 7

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2011 Jan 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased a new Dell Studio XPS 8100 running Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium.

I purchased Adobe Audition 3.0 and upgraded to 3.01.

Extract audio from CD does work at all -- it does not even open a window to choose a track.

If I try to use the open command, I see the tracks but it says file type .cda is not supported.

(All of the above work perfectly with my old XP computer.)

I know my new hardware is working well because I can extract a CD track to a .wav file using
Windows Media Player.  I can then opoen the .wav file in Audition and edit it.

What kind of dirty tricks is Microsoft Win 7 plalying on me?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Are there any patches to Audition or the OS to fix the problem?

TOPICS
Version 3 and earlier

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2012 Dec 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran into this same issue with 3.0. It was working fine on my Dell Optiplex with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 (all updates current). Never had an issue moving cda files from CD's to AA3. Been doing it nearly every day since 2010.

I got a new HP desktop, loaded with the latest version of Win 7 Ultimate 64 OS (which since my previous OS had all the updates I would not think there would be much if any difference) and the same AA3 software. Then I got the dredded 'File Type Not Supported' error message mentioned by others. This is with CD's that I'd already used with success on my previous system!

I searched the web and tried the fixes offered with no success. The 3rd party convert software works fine, of course, but it just bugs me to death that I know AA3 is capable of doing what I want.

So here is the simple fix that did the trick for me. I've not seen this suggested anywhere on the net (though I may have missed it).

I simply opened AA3 as 'Admininstrator'. As soon as I did this AA3 is working just like it always did. It opens and loads my CD's just like nothing was ever wrong. I wish I'd tried this first as it would have saved me 4 or 5 hours of effort and frustration.

I hope this information helps someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2011 Jun 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I brought the same question up about 2 years ago. And nobody could give me a decent answer. After trial and error I found out that the problem is based upon the fact that all systems holding a PATA CD or DVD drive work well. No mather if this is a Windows 7 with 64 or 32 bit OS. At the moment your system is equiped with a SATA CD or DVD drive the problem starts.

In my main PC I have changed one of the DVD RW drives from SATA to PATA and with this drive, and only with this drive, the problem was solved.

Therefore is 100% a driver issue and nothing else. I hoped that with the CS5.5 this problem was solved. But apperently Adobe likes this work-around via a third party program more than solving the problem themselves.

bye

Will

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 17, 2011 Jun 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Balibungalow wrote:

Hi,

I brought the same question up about 2 years ago. And nobody could give me a decent answer. After trial and error I found out that the problem is based upon the fact that all systems holding a PATA CD or DVD drive work well. No mather if this is a Windows 7 with 64 or 32 bit OS. At the moment your system is equiped with a SATA CD or DVD drive the problem starts.

In my main PC I have changed one of the DVD RW drives from SATA to PATA and with this drive, and only with this drive, the problem was solved.

Therefore is 100% a driver issue and nothing else. I hoped that with the CS5.5 this problem was solved. But apperently Adobe likes this work-around via a third party program more than solving the problem themselves.

bye

Will

Sorry, just not true, at least not for every system!

I have Win 7 32bit, a SATA DVD RW drive and a SATA BD RE drive; both allow to extract audio from CD direct into AA CS5.5.  I'm pretty certain they also work without problem in AA 3.01, though I haven't needed to use them in that version for some time.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2011 Jun 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This makes me superstitious about the problem. With enough knowledge and spare parts to try something I must admit that the fact is not simple SATA and PATA related ( as I believed before) but something within AA.

Using a Sony-Optiarc in my laptop with W7 64P I cannot get a track list from a CD when I try to extract from CD or DVD.

But if I select preview and choice to extract a absolute block size (LBA) with start at 0 and end at 600. I can extract exactly 8 seconds. No problem.

So, it is not the drive (SATA or PATA) which is not recognized in AA but more the track list from the drive.

How to solve this?

I don't know. It's more Adobe's problem I suppose

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2011 Jun 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem with extraction under Win7-Home Pre. x64 SP1,  Asus SATAII DVD/CD, Samsung Super Drive DVD/CD SATAII,  on an Asus Sabertooth x58.

You guys that can't extract, are you using the onboard sound card that comes with your system?

Several years ago Dell, Acer, and Toshiba crippled the driver for the onboard soundcards so you could not record streaming audio, "stereo mix", disabling full duplex operation, and ripping from CD's unless you used Media Player.

It took a couple of smart kids on the Dell user forums to come up with a registery hack to enable these. You may want to check the user forums for your computer. 

Also, CDA is not a true file type. CDA is a made up extension. MS-Windows CD driver creates each CDA file.

Quote: Gizmo Richards

" Each .CDA file is a kind of a pointer to the location of a specific track on the CD and contains no musical information. CDA files are all 44 bytes in length and each contain track times plus a special Windows shortcut that allows users to access the specific audio tracks." This may also have alot to do with your DVD/CD driver.

Also if you do a search I believe you will find a list of DVD/CD manufacturers who supply their own Windows driver that may not allow extraction. I know at one time there was a bunch of Plextro drives that did not work well. And Dell is well known to mess with drivers.

Lastly if this worked prior to a Win update, try going to the Device Manager and see if the your DVD/CD driver was updated in your last Windows update. If so try rolling it back to the previous version.

Duff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a lot of bad information around about what CDA files are - Wikipedia currently has it completely wrong, and so does the source you are quoting. The beginning of a rather more accurate definition I found starts like this:

"CD Audio (.cda) tracks are audio files that can be stored on CD media.  The .cda files are representations of CD audio tracks and do not contain  the actual pulse code modulation (PCM) information."

And that bit's correct. But it then goes on to say:

"Unfortunately, your computer can't store files in CDA format, so you  still have to convert CDA files to another format to store on your hard  disk."

And that bit simply isn't correct at all.

What CDA files are actually comprised of (and this is what the .CDA file format is) is EFM data - you can look that up (correctly!) on Wikipedia here. And you can store this on your PC very easily - every time you store an ISO image to burn another CD directly from, you are storing .CDA format data. What you can't do directly is play this data. What happens in your CD drive is that the EFM codes are decoded and looked up in a bit of ROM, which outputs the correct PCM data, which of course you can play. But if you get hold of something like Total Media Converter, it will convert .CDA files back to a more 'normal' audio format.

It would appear that a lot of people don't think that CDA files contain audio data. They are completely wrong about this - they most emphatically do. Just because it has to be decoded into another format to play doesn't mean that it isn't data, does it? Just because you can't store it directly and easily on a computer doesn't mean that it isn't data either. All data is is bits of information - in fact most accurately, multiple points of reference. CDA data qualifies on this score just as much as any other format - in fact there's very little difference. PCM files have metadata - so do CDA ones. For some strange reason though, a lot of misguided people seem to think that CDA's only contain metadata - and nothing could be further from the truth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SJDuff wrote:

No problem with extraction under Win7-Home Pre. x64 SP1,  Asus SATAII DVD/CD, Samsung Super Drive DVD/CD SATAII,  on an Asus Sabertooth x58.

You guys that can't extract, are you using the onboard sound card that comes with your system?

Several years ago Dell, Acer, and Toshiba crippled the driver for the onboard soundcards so you could not record streaming audio, "stereo mix", disabling full duplex operation, and ripping from CD's unless you used Media Player.

It took a couple of smart kids on the Dell user forums to come up with a registery hack to enable these. You may want to check the user forums for your computer. 

Here the laptop is an Acer 5536, AMD-based with an internal LG sata optical drive and AA 3.01 doesn't extract from or write to it. The onboard Realtek soundcard does provide "Stereo Mix" and can't be switched off in the bios.

I haven't bothered much about extracting CD's because I use EAC, but I did try the traditional registry hack of removing the "Upper filters" and "Lower filters" registry entries. This made no difference to Audition - it still didn't work, but it did stop iTunes working.

It's interesting that a search for LG drivers brings up pointers to AMD/ATI chipset drivers. I haven't looked into this

For the record I just use iTunes as a means of getting a reasonable m4a to wave file conversion. It converts more reliably than the software converter I was using previously, "Super".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2011 Jun 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duff,

I am using the onboard sound card in my Dell 8100 and cannot record audio or

rip from CDs using Audition 3.01. Thanks for identifying the cause of the

problem. Which Dell user forum, and how can I find the registry hack that

you mentioned?

-- Chuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2011 Jul 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chuck,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. It's been a long time since I was on the Dell forums. They used to have a forums for: computer by model, audio, and OS. I would try logging in and doing a search.

The hack I remember was for a Sigma-Tel onboard sound. Looks like yours may have an ESS.

Duff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2011 Jun 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Received yesterday the update from 3.01 to CSS 5.5 and firstly removed the 3.01 from my HP Notebook DV3. Installed the new CSS version and was anxious to see if the extract from CD/DVD works. And it did!

Puzzled with this new info I removed the 5.5 version again and installed the 3.0 version (without update) trying to extract and: nothing!

Removed the 3.0 version again and installed the 5.5 version. Again the extract worked flawlessly.

For me it’s case closed as I can work on both my desktop and notebook with AA without a problem.

For all other users try CSS 5.5 if this works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2011 Jul 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this problem ever resolved ?

I've been using Audition 3.0 for 4 years now  on a Gateway laptop Gateway MX8734 3408503R with a 160 Gig hard drive and 2meg of memory.

My operating system is  Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 (build 6002)....

I am considering updating my OS to Windows 7 but first want to see how Audition would like Windows 7.  I have seen the thread about previously reported problems with extract audio from CD not working, but, from what I can tell, the fix on this problem is inconclusive.

What's the latest regarding Audition 3.0 and 7?

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Dell Studio XPS 8100 with Win 7 and the problems with Audition have

not been resolved. From previous posts to this thread, it appears that Dell

has screwed up the audio drivers so that they will not work properly with

Audition. So the problem with Audition and Win 7 only occurs on some PCs.

I don't know about Gateway.

Chuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chuck,

Thanks for the reply....Interesting that it seems like Dell's driver modifications don't like 7.

I'll investigate this some more.

In the meantime, I'll keep checking this forum to see there are any other possible mismatch problems on my Gateway machine.

Of course one obvious answer for me is to just keep running running my Vista   ---   I don't know for certain, but there are probably

some Audition users out there using an even OLDER operating system on a Gateway and are having no problems.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made no progress with the CD extraction in Win 7 64-bit either, but Exact Audio Copy still works fine so it's no major problem.

I prefer Win 7 to Vista because it seems faster, particularly to start, has less nag screens, and generally seems to give a smoother ride.

However, even though the appearance is the same, the OS audio handling is different, and this can cause unexpected problems.

Today's example is with a Tascam usb interface using asio which follows sample rate changes in Audition 3 on a Vista machine, but sometimes fails on the Win7 machine. What is annoying is that I thought I had tested this extensively and have been happily using the interface for some time, then suddenly I have hit this glitch.

I would think long and hard before changing the OS on an older machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 15, 2011 Dec 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this might be of help to some.I had 3 PC's & 2 Acer laptops.One laptop/Vista with AA1.5 would write CD's.2PC's are AMD athlon1.2/1.29 xp pro sp3/sp2.The 2nd laptop is xp pro sp3.They don't write CD's.The last of the PC's is Intel Core 2 duo E8400@3000gHz  has AA3.1.This PC until approx 12 mths ago would write CD's.The only thing common to all computers is windows upgrades and each contains Nero.being 6,7,8,9 and 10 on this last PC.Yesterday I decided to do a complete uninstall from my work PC (with AA3.1) after following uninstall instructions I then deleted the remaining Adobe3 folder.I reinstalled and activated again.I can now write CD's on this computer.I uninstalled AA1.5 from the other computers,deleted the Adobe 1.5 folders re-installed AA1.5.They also now write CD's. My installations were upgrades so you will need the previous number as well.Kind Regards Bill Lane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is how I got the “Extract Audio From CDˮ in Adobe Audition v3.01 to work on my computer:

Operating system: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme

Audio Driver: ASIO4ALL

Hard Drive: Solid State (Serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s connected)

Optical Disc Drive: LG CD/DVD (Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s connected)

Previously, I had the SATA controller set to AHCI in the BIOS for both the Solid State hard drive and the optical disc drives (the LG CD/DVD player/recorders).  Adobe Audition did not recognise the presence of the CD in the system and, like others in this forum, the “Extract Audio From CDˮ command box was greyed out.

Taking a hint from Balibungalow in this forum, I kept my Solid State hard drive set to AHCI and changed only the SATA controller for the LG optical disc drives from AHCI to IDE (Parallel ATA) mode.  Instantly, Audition recognised the CD in the computer and I was presented all the interface options for recording it.

I hope this may help you.  If not, we are back to square one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I had checked this before and it looks as though I did.

The laptop here only has one "Standard AHCI  SATA Controller", so there is no way of changing the modes of the HDD and CD drives separately.

So I'm still at square 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realise with most motherboard manufactures there may be no provision to select between hard drive and optical disc SATA connections via the BIOS as they are all linked together.  However, with the motherboard I use (ASUS Rampage III Extreme) and an updated BIOS, this facility is enabled so one may choose between (1) AHCI or IDE for SATA 6 Gb/s connections and (2) AHCI or IDE for SATA 3 Gb/s connections, which becomes a nice solution to this vexing problem.

Otherwise, if one chooses AHCI for SATA connections in their computer they may have to toggle back and forth between IDE and AHCI in the BIOS to enable Audition for CD audio extraction – if this works at all in your computer.  Beyond this, I have no answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2011 Aug 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally, adobe audition3 can extract audio from CD, whether your sound card is normal, i just wanna know about this. If you make sure your sound card is ok, perhaps there is something wrong with your adobe audition. Do you know windows media player11 working for windows7. Open windows media player, click "Rip" button. Select format, then start ripping as you insert CD into hard discs. Another alternatives is using streaming music recorder, also extract audio from CD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

serinabrown2011 wrote:

Normally, adobe audition3 can extract audio from CD, whether your sound card is normal, i just wanna know about this.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with your sound device - this isn't anywhere in the ripping chain. As for the rest, then read above what Wild Duck has to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2013 Nov 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

serinabrown2011 wrote:

Normally, adobe audition3 can extract audio from CD, whether your sound card is normal, i just wanna know about this. If you make sure your sound card is ok, perhaps there is something wrong with your adobe audition.

Extracting audio from a CD has nothing whatsoever to do with your sound device. Invariably when it fails it's because the rest of your system is using a different protocol to access the device, and Audition isn't - see what Pale-Palaung says about it, and try changing that setting. This issue has been around for ages, and it gets some systems more than others.

The best ripper out there, as mentioned before, is ExactAudioCopy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2011 Dec 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally found a solution to my problem.  When trying to resolve another problem, I uninstalled the Dell Dock and the Dell Local Backup software that came with my system.  I used Revo Uninstaller Pro to force a complete uninstall.  Then the problem with Audition 3.01 went away and I was able to do a normal extract audio from CD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chuck1205 wrote:

I finally found a solution to my problem.  When trying to resolve another problem, I uninstalled the Dell Dock and the Dell Local Backup software that came with my system.  I used Revo Uninstaller Pro to force a complete uninstall.  Then the problem with Audition 3.01 went away and I was able to do a normal extract audio from CD.

Well I'm glad you fixed it, but I'm not in the slightest bit surprised that Dell caused it - we've had all sorts of problems with Dell and almost anything sound-related going back for donkey's  years.

Dells are very, very bad computers from a sound POV - unless you remove every single bit of their software, and they haven't physically got at the machine; that's about your only chance with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2012 Jun 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read the posts in this forum recently as I had the same problem - Audition 3.0 not being able to extract tracks from a CD.  However following a suggested solution in a previous post to change my SATA cd drive setting to IDE from ACHI (see Post 38 from Pale-Palung), the problem was solved.  I am using Widows 7 Professional and an Asus M5A99X EVO motherboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 25, 2013 Nov 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pale-Palaung supplied the right direction for me.

I have a Dell T3600 Xeon with A09 Bios where Audition would not recognize the CD drive.

By going to BIOS (F2)

-- Selecting 'System Configuration'

-- Selecting 'AHCI'

then choosing 'AHCI controller in ATA Mode' and applying the change.

NOTE: "This option only affects the ACHI Controller for SATA0 and SATA1 and

does not affect HDD0, HDD3, SAS0 or SAS1"

Now Audition 3.0.1 reads and extracts the CD drive correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines