Exit

Familiar error "Audition has reached limit of audio data it can use"

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Longtime user, rare poster 🙂

I'm trying to process a very big session, and I'm receiving the error "Audition has reached limit of audio data it can use". This would be easy to figure out IF I was running out of space, but I'm not! To be sure, I've dedicated a 5TB hard drive **JUST** for the Audition Cache files. Unfortunately, the exact moment the Cache folder hits 250GB, it freezes up and Audition crashes. It won't go beyong 250GB despite my having 5TB free.

Please help! SteveG if you're around :). Thanks all!

Here's what my scratch disk/folder looks like https://www.dropbox.com/s/xs9r3nn1zgzg5cs/Audition%20Error.JPG?dl=0

-Alex

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When it says this, does it also say 'Please delete some files to continue'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Steve!

Yes, it does say that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, you need to investigate exactly what is on the drive you think has so much space on it! This doesn't happen very often, so there's relatively little information available, but there is a thread about it you can read here (just ignore all the nice things it says about me 😉 ).  The thing to mention directly though is what you have your Auto save recovery data time interval set to in Edit>Preferences>Auto Save. This is generally what fills drives up. The backup settings don't matter so much, because they only relate to session files - but Auto Save saves recovery data for the whole app - and if you are dealing with huge files, it's easy to run out of space, even on a huge drive.The chances are that you can delete most of the stuff that's there, especially if you've been working on long sessions.

The thing is, it's not just the temp files you can see that cause the problems...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will investigate that other thread. thank you! I can say for now, that none of my drives are filling up though. 3.4 TB free on the drive responsible for the Temp Caching, and my OS drive + Audio Drive both have ample space at the time I get that error message. Thanks and will look through the thread now. Please let me know if you have any ideas!

-Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! And I've temporarily turned off all backup/autosave options within Audition...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey again,

Here are some pictures:

1 - Error Message.PNG

 That's the error message I get... Turns out that Audition is NOT asking me to delete some files!

2 - Temp Directory 1.PNG

Cache Directory 1 - 169GB

3 - Temp Directory 2.PNG

Cache Directory 2 - 164GB

-I've tried turning off Automatic Backups

-I've tried different file formats - NTFS and exFat (both result in exact same error)

-Have also tried putting the actual session on different drives

-Have tried this on 2 Windows 10 machines

I'm ready and willing to experiment to get this to work! I've invested a lot of time putting all of this together in Audition, and I'm hoping not to have to give up and try it in a different editor. Audition is my fav 🙂

Thanks Steve, looking forward to any insights/ideas you might have on this.

-Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BUMP! Anyone have any ideas? I have ample storage space, yet I'm still reliably hitting this limit, where the scratch folder won't hold more than 160-165 GB of data. Crashes when it hits that ceiling, despite having TB of space available. @SteveG_AudioMasters_ ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it does say close, not delete... how many files do you have open, and how big are they? They all end up in the temp folder when you open them...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have more than a dozen, very, very large files. This is for a sampling project, so each audio file is about 80 GB 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My curiosity is around Audition limiting the temp folder to 160-165GB, despite there being a lot more space on my hard drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay... if you have a dozen files of 80GB each, that's 960GB - and that's just from opening them. If you make just three alterations in Waveform view to each of them, that's 2.8TB straight off. If you made five, you've pretty much filled the drive. And if you close Audition, they'll all disappear...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SteveG_AudioMasters_ I see. That much space would be taken up just to preserve Undo? Could I turn that off? I guess I need to work with another application with these large files!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way you deal with undos has changed - what you can do is now controlled within the History panel. If you want to edit files that size though, then I'd be doing it starting with Multitrack view, which works completely differently. That way, all your edits are virtual, and the final result only happens when you mix it down. Yes you've still got the files open, but only one copy of each.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what does it mean when it says close them? how do you do that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Choose one, or more, of the files by clicking on it/them (Shift + Click if you want to select several contiguously), right-click and choose either "Close selected files" or "Close all".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that the message means that the operating system has reached the maximum "open files" limit and will not allow Audition to open any more files

Pretty sure this is an Operating System limitation, though from memory there is a way to increase the number of file handles you can open. However, Audition may still have a max number of files it can open but that I don't know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2023 Dec 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, well I've also been dealing with this issue for a while, and am familiar with the remedies suggested here. They did work for a while but now, I've got one half hour file that I want to append to another half hour file and it's throwing that error. So what would be the reason it's not able to edit a paltry 41,000 KB onto a 73,000 KB file?  And I've only got one file open, the one I'm working on, so I can't close anything. It doesn't make any sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 01, 2023 Dec 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I assume that you are in multitrack view and you are carryout the operation there?
If not you should be

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines