• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

for When the Adobe Audition 4

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2008 Oct 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi is there any information about AA4, for when and the new fonctionnalities ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 159 Replies 159
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2011 Feb 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AA4 will be what it will be and Steve has a good understanding of the whole picture and expresses his thoughts well. He thinks my comments are not worth much but that's okay, a lot of comments are made because it feels like a lot of us customers are being ignored. In fact Steve made the comment that " your big customers are broadcasters - which in Audition's case, they are - then you do what they want." They are not interested in trying to be everything for everybody, nobody can be, they've made their decision and we'll adjust and move forward. Programs that have tried to be everything for everybody became bloated and harder to use, let Adobe continue to make it better. I'm sure they are listening....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 20, 2011 Feb 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it will be what it will be and the one thing you CAN be sure of is that it won't please everyone.

For example removing CD burning makes zero difference to me but I'm sure something else thats missing wont affect everyone else but may affect me

All we can do is voice our needs and hope they listen

I'm sure they are listening - how many of you thought there would NEVER be an AA4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2011 Feb 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suite Spot wrote:

I'm sure they are listening - how many of you thought there would NEVER be an AA4?

Well you can't count me in that number - I knew there would be, and if there's one thing about Adobe corporate you should be aware of, it's that they don't tell lies. And one of the things they've always said is that if they were going to stop development of Audition, they'd say so publically. And they haven't. So nobody should have thought it, as far as I'm concerned!

But in this instance I had rather more direct confirmation about the new version - and I also knew pretty early on just how difficult this was going to be because of what was happening to it. And I said so. And I haven't been proved wrong, either...........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2011 Mar 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding CD burning in AA, I think it's akin to Midi.  It was never really meant to be that, and was never fully developed for.  I never burn CDs using AA, I have much better programmes for that.  If AA isn't going to be full-featured, then why have it at all?  I'd just assume remove the CD burning capability and save myself some memory for other, more useful features.

I can understand some people's feeling about 4 not being worth the upgrade from 3.  I felt the same way when 3 came out, which is why I am happily using 2 still.  This time I'll upgrade as 2 to 4 seems worth the price, as long as the upgrade price from 2 to 4 is 99 bucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tomrrt wrote:

He thinks my comments are not worth much but that's okay, a lot of comments are made because it feels like a lot of us customers are being ignored.

Please don't take that personally. In fact, I have greater grounds for feeling that than you do, because several of the suggestions that I made about AA4 rather more directly were ignored - rather more directly! But as a result of this, I do have a pretty good idea of where they are coming from with this, and although I don't like it much either, I understand the rationale behind it. I can't (NDA) go into any more detail than that, but I can give you an example of the scale of difference between the number of comments I've read about retaining CD writing on forums, and what a big customer is, from Adobe's point of view. No real numbers, and absolutely no names, but let's put it like this; If you multiplied the number of forum complaints by two orders of magnitude (so tens become thousands), then that would represent the difference between individual complaints and the number of seats that just one broadcast customer I'm aware of has...

Yes, whether you or I like it or not, we really don't count. That's not personal, that's economics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lgbecker wrote:

If they are not interested in upgrading the product and improving the software, why do they bother asking for customer input?

From us, just commercial politeness...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

djwayne2000 wrote:

Leaving out cd burning is a problem. It downgrades the whole program. Isn't that what beta testing is supposed to do ??

Let me disabuse you of that notion completely - it isn't about that, and never has been. Beta testing is purely about bug-finding. Alpha testing is what you are referring to, and that's largely driven by commercial customers these days. Even though I've had some Alpha input into Audition in the past (you probably know of at least one thing I've been officially 'blamed' for, and there are a few other things you don't know about as well), this time it's really not about what I think at all...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 02, 2010 Dec 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I get this hiccup as well when loop play is turned on.  This is not "normal", it's a problem. Especially when you are trying to concentrate on an exact edit.

It bugs me when people say you need a better computer for Audition. For Edit View, you don't need half the speed that processors are today (except for processing plugins), and Cool Edit proved that years ago. For instance, playing back a waveform when zoomed in quite tight used to scroll very smooth, but it's been a jittery mess for years.  Whereas you can still swap over to SoundForge and scrolling is perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2010 Dec 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prizm4 wrote:

Yes, I get this hiccup as well when loop play is turned on.  This is not "normal", it's a problem. Especially when you are trying to concentrate on an exact edit.

It bugs me when people say you need a better computer for Audition. For Edit View, you don't need half the speed that processors are today (except for processing plugins), and Cool Edit proved that years ago. For instance, playing back a waveform when zoomed in quite tight used to scroll very smooth, but it's been a jittery mess for years.  Whereas you can still swap over to SoundForge and scrolling is perfect.

I would still contend that it's not a hiccup, it's a break - and if you change something about the loop you are listening to, then it's good to have a positive indication that it has changed, and it makes even more difference if you have somebody else listening as well, because they too realise that it has, even if they aren't looking at the screen. And this happens quite a lot here. You get precisely one break when the duration is changed - after that there are none. Since you are listening to it looping continuously after that, I'd say that it represented such a short break that if your concentration is broken that easily, you probably shouldn't be attempting to make any edit decisions at all, quite frankly; this 'excuse' is pretty spineless.

So you never process plugins on huge files, never use multitrack for anything, and don't have a decent video card on your machine. In that case you clearly don't need a 'better' computer... well fine, but you might like to note that what I actually said that you needed a proper computer that was set up to do the job, not a better computer. And that's not the same thing at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're here calling the dude spineless and yet, you have no idea what he is even talking about.  The reason I made this thread, and the reason the last person agreed with me, has absolutely nothing to do with your precious "break" that occurs when you change your loop.  We are talking about something completely different.  These are sporadic, random "skips" that are occuring throughout the playback of a small (looped) piece of sound.

for example, if I take a song, and snip out EXACTLY four bars, or beats, or measures, or whatever term you prefer...this four bar loop should literally LOOP.  Meaning when you loop it, and it starts over, the sound should be perfectly seemless.  IT IS NOT, however.  In fact, not only is it NOT seemless, but the skips don't even occur only at the end where it loops, they are literally occurring randomly throughout the small 5 second or so piece of sound, at completely irrelevant moments throughout the loop.  This is not supposed to happen.  and it DOES, very much so, interfere with the listeners concentration during a time that they are trying to be very precise and careful.

this is not simply a "break."  and the person who responded saying they are having the same problem is not "spineless."  this is a real problem.  I'm not stupid or confused, I know exactly what I'm talking about.  Got it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, dubulous, you are talking about a different problem.

I can create a loop, set it running and not have a single break, glitch or hiccup (whatever you want to call it) even if I leave it running all day.

However, like everyone, I do get the one, single, brief break if, while playing a loop, I change the duration.  Once I've had this single break (which somebody said is the buffer size resetting), the loop returns to total stability.

The PC I use for sound work isn't super spec (it's now almost 3 years old) but has a reasonable dual core processor and 3 gig of RAM.

So, while the "break" Steve talks about is confirmed as a normal part of Audition, the problem you're having is not.  I suggest you look at your system and, besides the basic spec, also look for other things running in background and grabbing processor cycles intermittently.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 04, 2010 Dec 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob Howes wrote:

In that case, dubulous, you are talking about a different problem.

I can create a loop, set it running and not have a single break, glitch or hiccup (whatever you want to call it) even if I leave it running all day.

However, like everyone, I do get the one, single, brief break if, while playing a loop, I change the duration.  Once I've had this single break (which somebody said is the buffer size resetting), the loop returns to total stability.

The PC I use for sound work isn't super spec (it's now almost 3 years old) but has a reasonable dual core processor and 3 gig of RAM.

So, while the "break" Steve talks about is confirmed as a normal part of Audition, the problem you're having is not.  I suggest you look at your system and, besides the basic spec, also look for other things running in background and grabbing processor cycles intermittently.

Bob

I echo Bob's comments.  Exactly my experience of this "problem".

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is interesting to read this stuff, A3 has always been rock solid and I wouldn't expect A4 to be any less so.  The skips being described are most likely hardware issues and/ or software setting issues.  If you have a pre-release version of A4 you really can't expect perfection and you would have someone to inform/ contact other than complaining here.

Have a great day!

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tomrrt wrote:

It is interesting to read this stuff, A3 has always been rock solid and I wouldn't expect A4 to be any less so.  The skips being described are most likely hardware issues and/ or software setting issues.  If you have a pre-release version of A4 you really can't expect perfection and you would have someone to inform/ contact other than complaining here.

I'm pretty sure you'll find that AA3.0.1 restarts the buffer when the loop paramaters change, and that this isn't seamless. Glitching within the buffer though would indicate a hardware fault, because on a properly configured system this doesn't happen - as several people have attested. And we'd have spotted that during the beta phase for sure if it was a real problem - which it isn't.

As for the present public beta of AA4 (or whatever it's actually going to be called on the Mac) - well I'm moderately sure that this behaviour is different, although somebody with it on a machine would have to confirm this on that version. As far as I'm aware, the buffer repeats with a much smaller break, to the point where you don't notice it. As you may have gathered, I think that this is a retrograde step, and I'd rather have the noticeable gap back personally. It may satisfy the spineless wimps who don't seem to be able to cope with a 100ms break in their concentration, though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Steve, 100 ms is really a big chunk of time.  I mean, speaking strictly for myself, I always put that 100 ms to use; I don't waste it.  I go make a cup of coffee or take out the garbage or something.  Sure, I'm fast.  But you have to be fast these days.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dubulous wrote:

you're here calling the dude spineless and yet, you have no idea what he is even talking about.  The reason I made this thread, and the reason the last person agreed with me, has absolutely nothing to do with your precious "break" that occurs when you change your loop.  We are talking about something completely different.  These are sporadic, random "skips" that are occuring throughout the playback of a small (looped) piece of sound.

Your problem here is that you haven't understood some basic english - he stated pretty clearly what he meant, and it isn't what you said at all. He said:

"if PLAY LOOPED is engaged, and you shift+click to extend the selection range, the *Audio Hiccups*, every single time."

Now see that bit between the commas? That's when he says it happens, and that is exactly what it does - except that it's not a hiccup but a restart. And yes, this complaint is spineless.

for example, if I take a song, and snip out EXACTLY four bars, or beats, or measures, or whatever term you prefer...this four bar loop should literally LOOP.  Meaning when you loop it, and it starts over, the sound should be perfectly seemless.  IT IS NOT, however.  In fact, not only is it NOT seemless, but the skips don't even occur only at the end where it loops, they are literally occurring randomly throughout the small 5 second or so piece of sound, at completely irrelevant moments throughout the loop.  This is not supposed to happen.  and it DOES, very much so, interfere with the listeners concentration during a time that they are trying to be very precise and careful.

In this case, your computer is at fault - this is not a software issue, and absolutely not what the other person is talking about - as you've been told by others, not just me.

I'm not stupid or confused, I know exactly what I'm talking about.  Got it?

The 'evidence' you've presented so far conflicts with that statement too. You got it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2010 Dec 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an older (49)  musician who was never able to afford studio time during the analogue days it was with great excitement that I discovered thru an engineer friend that digital audio recording was doable at home and thus I ended up catching the recording bug. My Church used AA 1.5 at the time and as I knew the audio techs that were familiar with it we all agreed that purchasing it for myself would greatly cut down on my learning curve by driving them crazy with my questions. AA 1.5 also had some good DVD training by Jason Levine while 2.0 not so good. I quickly surpassed my collegues in using AA because I ended up building a small home project studio and along with session recording and an online audio engineering course, the constant input of Tape Op, EM, EQ, Recording Mag, SOS.etc began to realize that while all DAWS are indeed not created equally most seem to have little problem with professional third-party plugin protocols, preset management, robust midi and vsti support. Except Adobe. I can't run Wave's Tune, Antare Auto -Tune, Celemony Melodyne, and while IK MM's Amplitube and Riffworks work fine I can't run their T-Racks Deluxe or their ARC room control software. I love Audition's GUI and workflow and it's audio restoration algorithms are awesome but I can only conclude that since I now own Cubase 4.62, Studio One Pro, Ableton Live and Traction 2.0 and all the above mentioned products work in them the problem is in Audition. My hope is that if Adobe has decided it cannot compete in the market then come out with AA 4 that is compatible with as close to industry standards as possible. I just demoed Izotope's Nectar in AA 3 and gues what happened??? The pitch correction module was sketchy at best and when I went to the advanced tab guess what: "Your Host Does Not Support Pitch Correction in this view" Fortunately I had Peavey's $99.00 Traction as a standby!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2011 Jan 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they aint coming out with AA4. its been forever and still no news

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except if you bother to read the Adobe site or any of the threads here or in Audiomasters, you'll see the next version of Audition is almost ready and that, being "cross platform--i.e. available for Mac as well as PC) is currently undergoing "public Beta" for Mac users.  No release date specified but, since it's already being tested by Mac users, I'd guess it's not too much longer.

Besides those few minor facts, I'm sure your cogent analysis of the situation is entirely accurate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cogent and concise, yes.

For when the Adobe Audtion 4.0?

For why the Adobe Audition 4.0?

For where, who and what the Adobe Audition 4.0?

There.  I've asked most of the questions about 4.0.  Nobody else has to ask now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2011 Jan 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

therealdobro wrote:

I've asked most of the questions about 4.0. 

The only one you left out was 'how'. Mind you, nobody's going to answer that directly yet either!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2011 Jan 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't really get onto these forums that much, but I have been checking them very regularly recently. I'm so looking forward to Audition 4.

I use a mixture of Pro Tools 8 and Audition 2, personally I find the big drawbacks on Pro-tools are

1. Mixing down in real time (real BUMMER)

2 No independent edit scree, everything is done on the session, (making fiddly edits tricky)

But anyway, thanks for keeping us updated on everything .

Cheers

Hamish

www.urbanradio.co.uk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2011 Jan 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm officially switching from Adobe Audition to another DAW now because of this:

"Some features, such as MIDI support, are not included because other  tools in the market offer those capabilities and they are not part of  the core audio post-production workflows that are at the heart of  Audition's strengths. Others, like CD Burning, are not included because  the majority of newly-created content is distributed digitally and  inexpensive or free third-party CD burning tools, such as iTunes, are  readily available. If you have specific requests, please let us know in  the discussion forum."

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/audition/?tabID=details#tabTop

Yeah, thanks for nothing, Adobe. I thought this program would get better. I've been using this since the cool edit days, and now I just can't see myself upgrading. Here comes Sonar or Cubase. Probably Sonar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ouch!! This really is a bummer. I've been sticking it out with Audition because I always thought they'd improve on their midi functions, and use of VSTi's...and no CD burning???

It's been a real hassle having to use Cubase for my midi and VSTi needs, then move it all to Audition, thinking that the next version would be able to handle it all seemlessly...Looks like I'll have to upgrade my Cubase to the latest version, and drop Audition completely...totally bummed!!!

I wasn't expecting you folks to take a couple steps backward...

Harry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Audition was never a music creation program as such - MIDI was a red herring that should never have been in it in the first place. Adobe would be playing catch-up for ever if they kept on with this because Cubase, etc have a couple of decades more experience of doing it, and that's what their software is intended for. These programs don't have even a fraction of the editing capability of Audition though, which is why a lot of users will, I'm sure, continue to use both. Last time I looked, Sonar made specific provision for using an external editor if you wanted to, and Audition was ideal for that.

The CD burning bit doesn't bother me personally, but it could be argued to be more of a loss, I think.

Basically, the message is that if you don't need an audio editor, then don't buy Audition - it's not for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines