• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get the right signal into a plug-in (Izotope Ozone)?

Enthusiast ,
Sep 22, 2018 Sep 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I thought I'd try Izotope's Ozone plug-in to timbre-match two tracks recorded with different kinds of mics.

Its matching function requires you to sample a section of the tracks you want to match, to profile their spectrum. I have the two tracks in a multitrack session, and the plug-in is applied to the clip I want to alter (the green one in the screen shot below).

I figured I'd solo the "source" track and sample it, then switch to the "target" track and sample that. But no matter what I do, the plug-in seems to get all tracks at all times; even if they're all muted.

There's clearly some kind of routing problem, but I haven't found a solution yet. Anyone have an idea? Thanks!

toneMatching.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Sep 22, 2018 Sep 22, 2018

One way to do this --> assign both tracks to a Bus Track. Insert the Ozone EQ on the noted Bus Track. Use the clip track(s) solo functions to define (1) your EQ source, and then (2) your EQ target. Engage Match in Ozone and tweak. Export the matched clip only. Do this by selecting the output of the Bus Track you created (Export/Mixdown Options). Make sure only the matched clip track is active. Re-import the exported/processed clip back into your active Session.

-paul.

@produceNewMedia

AA.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way to do this --> assign both tracks to a Bus Track. Insert the Ozone EQ on the noted Bus Track. Use the clip track(s) solo functions to define (1) your EQ source, and then (2) your EQ target. Engage Match in Ozone and tweak. Export the matched clip only. Do this by selecting the output of the Bus Track you created (Export/Mixdown Options). Make sure only the matched clip track is active. Re-import the exported/processed clip back into your active Session.

-paul.

@produceNewMedia

AA.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 23, 2018 Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting idea, thanks. I'll give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't it be better to do this operation in the Waveform view where it is easy to switch between your reference file and the one you want to operate on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't do it in waveform view, because the plug-in doesn't retain the scanned spectrum sample when you switch files.

Also, how would it be easier to switch files than it is to solo one track vs. the other? Just curious.

Thanks for the replies, guys. The bus idea worked nicely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Mobius+Strip  wrote

You can't do it in waveform view, because the plug-in doesn't retain the scanned spectrum sample when you switch files.

Correct.

-paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not much of a plug in then. How do they expect you to be able to compare EQ if you can't store the Custom Reference results? Although from the documentation it does seem that you can save up to ten Reference files within Ozone for comparing your track to, as well as Custom Tonal Balance curves for setting the overall tonal balance of your tracks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the way Audition handles instantiated plugins in the Waveform Editor. There's no support for global instantiation of a single plugin instance across multiple files. FabFilter's Pro-Q2 also has built in match EQ funtionality. It's similar to Ozone, with the same inherant Audition limitation.

As far as I know the Reference File support/storage in Ozone isn't associated with the match EQ functionality:

New.png

Also note there is a standalone version of Ozone where you can import multiple files. I'll check and see how the Match EQ functionality is tied in.

-paul.

@produceNewMedia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The stand-alone version of Ozone lets you open multiple files, and it puts them in tabs. The "target" curve is retained when you switch files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also - if you are only looking to use the Match EQ function - I would suggest the use of the discrete Ozone EQ module in place of the full Ozone plugin. It's much less taxing on your system.

-paul.

@produceNewMedia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines