• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you gradually slow down a track?

Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2013 Jul 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell, it should work the same way as gradually changing pitch. On Adobe Audition CS6 on a Mac, gradually changing pitch is as simple as using the Time and Pitch > "Time and Stretch (process)" under the Effects menu, then switching from the iZotope plugin to the Audition plugin, and adjusting the beginning pitch and final pitch over the selected audio. Why doesn't this work with the time? I'm trying to slow down a piece of audio gradually, but it doesn't seem to work.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 13, 2013 Jul 13, 2013

There are a few ways to slow a portion of a track down.  Use Effects > Time & Pitch > Stretch and PItch (process).  If you choose the Audition algorithm, you can perform a gliding stretch which will let you stretch from 100% (normal playback) up to 800% (8x slower) over time.

If you're using Audition CC, the Pitch Bender effect will allow you to keyframe the slowdown on screen so you can draw the curve and duration you want directly on the waveform.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Jul 12, 2013 Jul 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could possibly try Waves Doppler or even

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/augustusloop.html

And another FX plugin that does tapestop:

http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/Effectrix/index.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2013 Jul 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you just want the speed to vary or the pitch as well? Try the "Cutting Power" preset to see if that does what you expect and then adjust from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the "Cutting Power" preset? I can't seem to find it. It is a plugin you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to stretch it, then draw attention away from the fact that it had not stretched gradually by simply gradually lowering the pitch. It worked somewhat well, but it was not perfect. Waves Doppler is very tricky, I am still trying to figure out how to get it to work right. Meanwhile, I worry as to whether or not plugins will maintain the 192kHz 64-bit quality WAV files I am working with, but I will give the second plugin you suggested a shot since it mentioned 64-bit online, then I'll try the first one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few ways to slow a portion of a track down.  Use Effects > Time & Pitch > Stretch and PItch (process).  If you choose the Audition algorithm, you can perform a gliding stretch which will let you stretch from 100% (normal playback) up to 800% (8x slower) over time.

If you're using Audition CC, the Pitch Bender effect will allow you to keyframe the slowdown on screen so you can draw the curve and duration you want directly on the waveform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a fairly novice user. I've managed to convert the clip I want and am editing in the Waveform. I'm applying the Stretch and Pitch (Process) effect, and I've chosen the Audition algorithm, but there is no option for "gliding stretch." How do I do this? I only seem to be able to set a new duration, but the clip doesn't gradually slow down, it's just slow the whole time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want it to slow down with pitch drop as well, like a gramophone turntable slowing down, you need to use the Pitch Bender (Process) effect. When opened it places a pitch envelope line onto the waveform so that you can adjust manually by adding keyframes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't want to change the pitch. I just want the clip to gradually slow (I need a ritardando for the end). I got it to work OK by clicking on "final stretch" and setting that to 130%. If I could get some more specifics on how exactly to do this that would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, unlike a MIDI Sequencer type DAW, Audition can't really help any more apart from using your ears as it doesn't have any tempo related controls for musical composition. So you have to work out the maths for yourself if you know the required before and after tempos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This is just what I was slooking for!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The steps you mentioned is slowing down the entire track.   I want only one word to be slowed down but with same pitch.   I am not finding any option. I am currently using Audition CC Trial.   Unless, I get all the features I require, I may not think of subscribing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I question whether your WAV files are actually 64-bit, but the bit rate of an audio file is not the same as the bits of a CPU or OS.  All Audition's native effects work with 192kHz audio files and on audio files of any bit rate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My files edit in CS6 on my Mac at 32 bit, then I output them as 64 bit, or I convert files to 64 bit, then begin work on them, so yes I am speaking as to my files, not my CPU, but thanks for checking. Meanwhile, the time stretch process I detailed in my original statement above isn't working properly; it doesn't apply gradually, and yes I am adjusting it in the Audition preset, not the iZotope. I obviously need to upgrade to CC, I didn't know it came with Pitch Bender native. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2013 Jul 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ScreenHunter_12 Jul. 14 11.39.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is really needed is a way of doing this in the Multitrack view using keyframes - feature request perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best explanation on how to gradually speed up or slow down an audio I've found it's in this tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x427zfZKKwo . It worked for me, but remember to use it on the Waveform tab and select the desired timeframe, otherwise on the multitrack tab it won't be possible to click on "Stretch time & Pitch".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Doppler Effect is actually coming out quite nicely now. I can just layer it on pieces of audio ever closer to the end, for example, to get a full drop-off of sound, particularly in the bass, or pump beats in and out. The plugins are doing excellent as well, so I'll have a full array of different options to present. Hopefully a consenus can be reached as to what effects to go with. Thanks for everything guys! If you ever find that "Cutting Power" preset, let me know, I'd love to try it and add it to the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2016 Mar 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to have the same BPM in a WAV file.
It is a live recording that slows down from a certain point on; of course pitch ought to remain the same.
Is there any way to do that?
Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines