• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to avoid skips in recording in Audition?

Participant ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Audition to record the audio for a video podcast and have done 9 episodes without any issues but in the 10th episode I have a ton of skips in the audio recorded in Audition. It seems to be happening randomly approximately every 30-90 seconds and skips about 1.5 seconds which I have to break up in the audio file to resync the audio after the skip with the video recording and that leaves a 1.5 gap in the audio recording.

My setup is as follows:

2 Tascam TM-80 microphones

Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD USB interface

Early 2015 13" MacBook Pro w/ 2.5Ghz i5 and 8GB memory

I'm not running any additional applications during the recording so system stress shouldn't be an issue, and I've never had this happen in any of the first 9 episodes I recorded.

Do you guys have any idea what might be causing these skips and what I can do to avoid them in the future?

TOPICS
Audio hardware , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Audition gets a very high priority on resources whilst it's recording. The only things that have been known to cause this sort of issue are things that for some reason seem to get higher priority on most systems - like scanning for wifi, for instance. We can't say exactly what it will be on your system, but it will be something like that, however you look at it. Or a hard disk starting to fail...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the feedback. Are there any recommended system settings like Airplane Mode or something like that that can turn these things off while recording?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would also recommend increasing the "Buffer Size" setting under Preferences > Audio Hardware.  Since you're recording every track at once, a higher latency here won't have any sync implications, but will provide more time for the audio data/writing to disk handoff to happen and minimize the chance that interference will drop samples.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines