Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How To Restore a Deleted Effect Preset

New Here ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey All,

I am new to Audition and accidentally deleted an effect preset instead of removing it. 

How can I restore this deleted preset? It is a default preset that came with Audition- I didn't create it myself. 

Thank you! 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't set up anything else you care about on Audition, the simplest thing to do is to start it with the Shift key held down; this will restore vanilla everything to Audition - just like starting from scratch. The alternative is to locate the relevant .xml file and delete it, which would automatically be restored, also in vanilla form when you restarted, but wouldn't affect anything else.

If this is on a PC the path to the EffectPresets.xml file is currently C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Audition\13.0 and by default, it's hidden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steve! I have tried restarting Audition with the shift key held down and while it restarts with an empty slate, the preset is still not restored.

I am working on a Macbook Pro. Do you happen to know the location of the file on a macbook? 

Thanks for your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To a first approximation, the path is /Users/{username}/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Audition/{version no}/ and then the .xml file should have the same name. But if you've loaded vanilla preferences using the shift key and it hasn't come back - well, are you sure it was an original preset? What was it called?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me for the same issue- thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what is the fix if you can't restore to vanilla Audition (I have many custom presets that took me hours of tutorials creating)?  Also, might I add that this is a bizarre functionality of that trash can button.  I applied this preset to my track.  When one highlights and deletes it, the user would expect it to just delete that instance, not the preset. Imagine this in other programs: you've applied a gradiant to a shape in Illustrator and you delete that effect, but instead it deletes the gradiant tool haha what?  

Anyway, I've gone to that xml file location (thank you) and tried to restore a previous version of that folder, but none exists.  Surely this file is retrievable through adobe somehow, right?  I guess Google is my friend...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, in my haste I didn't read the second part of your suggestions.  I deleted the XML file and restarted and viola!  THANK YOU

I'm leaving the comment though in hopes Adobe sees it and reconsiders the functionality of that trash can button.  It should just remove the application of the preset, not the preset itself!  Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed 100%!! I just did the same, thought I was removing the preset from a clip and ended up deleting the preset instead. Adobe, PLEASE change this --- it is counterintuitive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Steve!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this but it didn't work:-(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bro, THIS is everything: "The alternative is to locate the relevant .xml file and delete it, which would automatically be restored, also in vanilla form when you restarted, but wouldn't affect anything else.

If this is on a PC the path to the EffectPresets.xml file is currently C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Audition\13.0 and by default, it's hidden."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. I feel like a hacker now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines