• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to select markers and clips at the same time?

Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often want to move audio and at the same time move the markers I have placed over that audio. I can't figure out how to do this -- which renders the markers much less useful since, once a piece of audio is marked, I have to leave it where it is or lose the marker.

How do you select audio clips and markers at the same time?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

I think we have an open feature request in the backlog for anchoring a marker to a clip.  If it's not there, I'll create it and add your notes.  I think it could be helpful to essentially have a flag attached to critical clips for navigation or sync purposes, so I'd support figuring out a way to make this work.

Always feel free to submit ideas directly in Audition by clicking Help > Send Feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say 'move audio', what exactly do you mean in this context? What you'd normally do with markers in this context is as follows:

If you have a file in waveform view, and you want to select extracts from it to insert into Multitrack view, the process is to put a marker at the start and finish of the extract, and merge these two markers into a marker range, which you can name if you want. If you right-click on this marker range in the marker list, you'll get an option to insert the range into a multi-track session, complete with the name you gave it. The other thing you can do with these ranges is export them all to individual files, which are named according to the names you gave them

Is some of this what you mean? If it isn't, then you'll have to explain some more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks; here's an example of what I mean.

I'm working in multitrack mode. I have an audio clip at 5:14 and I have placed on marker on it. I later move the audio clip to some later point in the project. How do I make the marker travel with the audio?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah - you can't do that. Mainly because you haven't put a marker on the clip, as such, but on the timeline. It's not particularly helpful necessarily, but if you turn your clip into a unique copy (or even just reopen the file it's in) in Waveform view, and place a marker in it at the point you want, that marker will remain and be visible as a dotted line in Multitrack, and that will move with the clip.

There has been some discussion about all of this in the past, and who knows - one day the system may get extended. But at present, that's all you can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspected that might be the case. I'd like to suggest to Adobe that they add this functionality, as not having it severely limits the usefulness of markers. when I place a marker in a session, it's not because I want to highlight the 10:15 mark, it's to indicate the contents of the audio or to remind myself to place a particular clip in a particular spot etc. It would be really useful to be able to include markers in a selection and move them along with audio clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we have an open feature request in the backlog for anchoring a marker to a clip.  If it's not there, I'll create it and add your notes.  I think it could be helpful to essentially have a flag attached to critical clips for navigation or sync purposes, so I'd support figuring out a way to make this work.

Always feel free to submit ideas directly in Audition by clicking Help > Send Feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my purposes, I would be happy if there was a simple preference setting, something like, "include markers in selections" such that when I select a passage of audio it's also possible to include any markers and move them simultaneously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2019 May 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I noticed that you said you were working on this request... and that was from 2 years ago.  I'm running into this same issue and wondering if you could share with us if you guys worked any on this in the past 2 years and, if so, could you share the solution with us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tylerb81929971  wrote

Hi I noticed that you said you were working on this request...

I'm afraid you're being a little optimistic here. Durin said that it's in the features backlog, and that's along with a heck of a lot of other stuff. How it's prioritised is not information we're privileged to know, but I suspect that if enough 'features' come up in a particular area, along with a lot of support, then they'll get considered. One post in two years won't, I suspect, cut it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks.

@Durin if you do ever come up for a fix it would be awesome!  I use markers to mark the spots in my timeline where I want to go back and record voiceover.  It would be so useful to be able to link a marker to a clip and have it move in the timeline in relation to that clip.  (Like how you can link 2 tracks together and have them move in unison.)

Like Steve said, I have to manually move the markers every time the clips in the timeline shift, and because i use markers quite often it is a huge time waste.  Unless you know of another feature that would accomplish this better?  Surely I can't be the only person who wants to mark places in their project where they want to come back to and record voiceover?  Who knows, maybe my work style is just weird.  Thanks all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Markers that are applied in the Waveform view show up as dotted lines when the clips are inserted in the Multitrack timeline. So, although they have no label, they can be seen and will move with the clip when you reorganise the multitrack timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used this workaround before but it's pretty limited in its usefulness -- I can't name things and honestly it's hard to quickly spot the dotted lines when moving quickly through a session.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another vote for a preference setting that can move markers along with audio clips associated with that spot on the timeline. I work in multi track most of the time. I put markers in the multi track sessions after I edit the clips. The original waveform markers become less relevant as I edit The original waveforms in a non-destructive fashion. To have my custom marker with a specific name for my audio session to move with this clip as I move it around would be a massive benefit. It's a total waste of time to have to re-label things every time I move them. Please make us a priority.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big +1 for this request. It doesn't seem like it would be a huge lift to have marker attach to clips or be "selectable" like clips. And it would be a huge boon to those of us who want to quickly mark things but then move them around afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another +1 from me as well, I often times have to adjust the spacing between clips long after setting markers, and it is a major waste of time for me to have to go in and individually select the markers and re-line them up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's where you can find this feature request (and vote for it): https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911314-audition/suggestions/37768249-marker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I sure did, this issue is so annoying and has wasted many hours of my life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zachy! If you add a silence to the very beginning of the multitrack, it inserts the silence and the session markers and clips both move.

> playhead to 00:00

> Edit > Insert > Silence

Then add however much space you need and ... voila! The whole session moves to the right, session markers and  clips together

Hope this helps you and others!

Kate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

6 years later they still haven't added this feature, however, this little tidbit workaround of information works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines