• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I don't get it? Why can't you save Project Files in Audition?

Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to Import files, work on them, save the project, and work on them later... Not just save as an audio file. This seems really stupid. Can someone please help. And how can I be the only person that can't figure this out. I Googled it and can't find anything. Adobe products suck to learn, there is nowhere to help learn them. Like I'm supposed to be born with this knowledge or something. Also where can I learn Adobe products without having to haphazardly Google random questions continuously?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 13, 2012 Jul 13, 2012

Hey Ryan,

I think a new feature we added in Audition CS6 should help you with this workflow. While Audition does not support an official project format at this time, we do have a way to ensure that any files open when a session is saved will be retained when the session is re-opened.

Go to Preferences > Multitrack and enable the option for "Reference all open audio and video files when saving sessions".

Normally when you save a session (.sesx file), we only retain references to the files you actual

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2014 Nov 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now if we can get Audition to support AAF.  In order to bring in one the other day, I had to open in Premiere and then have Premiere ship it off to Audition...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can convert AAF projects (or virtually any other format) to Audition .sesx sessions using SuiteSpot's AATranslator - Home Page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should use Premier for my video but Vegas seems to suit my needs.  However, I really should try and use it more.
I haven't checked out the full extent of Premier's AAF capability (other than converting them to something else) but if it is anything like Audition's OMF development then it would probably be close to the best out there and certainly an asset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you. It just makes no sense that pressing save would not, you know, save it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chiming in here. Coming from Premiere Pro (and slowly, Davince Resolve, because Premiere Pro's wheels are coming off, at least for me and I'll be exiting that program this year), Audition is my go to for audio editing, for single Render and Replace. Mixing is another story. I am a newbie at audio editing and mixing, but like most of the detractors here, I am at best confused about the UX design/philosophy concerning audition's file organization, or lack thereof.

I am trying to use audition for podcasting. This involves sound effects, music, interviews, and other bits and pieces. Again, coming from Premiere Pro, where you gather up your pieces first and then edit them together - and this being an Adobe product - thought it would act somewhat like... any of their other products.

I was wrong, as this thread shows.

I too am confused about how audition approaches organization. Take for example, podcast narrating. You don't just automatically take the first read, or maybe some of the first, but then have re-takes to patch over parts that were lacking. And you'd rather get into the flow of narrating, then go back and listen and choose the best of the retakes, and make notes of the others, than the stop and go that Audition prefers. And when you do get the retake right: there's zero file organization management/method to highlight/mark/rename that file for later use. imo, this is inane. It seems audition expects you to stop. edit in the new line. make sure its kind of proper. check. continue. repeat as necessary. also of note again: there's no way to rename the file to note "paragraph one, retake 3", just [multiwave track name]_XXX. This is nearly useless when working through a ten page script.

If someone can point me to a youtube/blog/article that has an example workflow that addresses file organization, please contact me. I don't prefer being this negative, but coming from Premiere Pro, where you have, like 5 different ways to rename assets (via tracks, files, files on a timeline, subclips, in and out points, notes, comments, "Good" markers, markers with notes, just off the top of my head) coming to a program that gives you one chance to name a file (and none to rename within the program), and markers (that aren't quite as smart as I think PPro's are, but that could just be due to familiarity).

And so you say, well, you know what you're keeping, why not just remove the files from the session? Because I have editors and other stakeholders, who might say, "I don't like that take". Then what? I have to dig back through XXs of retakes hunting and pecking to find it, instead of having them within reach and organized. From UI/UX design when do you ever want your users to actively, consciously have a reason to leave your app? That's like... McDonald's telling you if you want fries, go to Wendy's. I mean, that works, but you just lost a customer, for no particularly good reason. It's a known fact, McDonald's makes fries (e.g. Premiere Pro, After Effects, heck even Photoshop/InDesign/Illustrator have their own ways to nest/folder-then-hide design elements w capabilities to rename and other organization methods).

Adobe: please make an attempt to unify some of your UX, at least within your AV NLE/After Effects/DAW suite. It's turning me away from you software, and in Audition's case, it looks like that's the point. At least, that's what fellow users seem to be advising ("organize footage within the OS, not the program). If that's not the case, please guide me to where I can learn the correct workflow.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PoMaf  wrote

I too am confused about how audition approaches organization. Take for example, podcast narrating. You don't just automatically take the first read, or maybe some of the first, but then have re-takes to patch over parts that were lacking. And you'd rather get into the flow of narrating, then go back and listen and choose the best of the retakes, and make notes of the others, than the stop and go that Audition prefers. And when you do get the retake right: there's zero file organization management/method to highlight/mark/rename that file for later use. imo, this is inane.

If you want to record narrative like that, it's way better to do it in Waveform view and use markers. You can mark ranges (swipe the bit you want and hit F8) and give them sensible take names, and by right-clicking on one of these range in the Markers panel, insert it directly into your multi-track session. There are several advantages; you always have everything you recorded to go back to, and because these are regions of the whole file you're inserting, you can trim them and extend them if you need to.

Couple of things to note, though: this would never work directly in Multi-track view, as markers there only relate to the session time, and have no relationship to clips at all - and you might also like to note that radio station editors all over the world have been doing it like this for a couple of decades now - and they do that because it's really pretty slick when you get into it. If you want to do it with multiple files open, that works too - just highlight the file you want the markers from so it's the selected file in Waveform view, and insert them as above. This works with effects, dialogue, music, you name it. I've used it for classical music editing, and it's really pretty damn good at it.

And if you've marked the file sensibly, then it's easy to find other takes - this happens to me quite a lot, and I'd rather have a sensible marker list and a single large file to find them from, any day of the week. You don't even have to use ranges - just spot markers are useful in this context.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That's actually reasonable, and not just a work around. I have noticed that markers are more useful and easier in audition as "ranges" than in premiere. It's not how I think, but as an "in file" and "in program" solution, it is an elegant method that - importantly - makes sense.

[This incoming rant because I come from Premiere Pro, the in/out points are way less permanent in audition (in premiere pro, you can't just drag and select in and out points, but conversely you can't also accidentally wipe out carefully selected in and out points) so I have frustration accidentally clicking in the waveform -> nuking my perfectly curated in out points - AND also unlike Premiere pro in out points aren't worth noting as an Undo item. So I have to be way more careful about in out points in audition much to my chagrin. Also, maybe fighting words, but the razor/select all/slip/slide/etc tools in Premiere Pro are way more user intuitive. imo ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now 2018, it might be time for Adobe to enable this functionality to keep up with the FREE software on the market.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, i have a big, unexpected problem! HELP! though I use Cool edit, i have worked on a session, and the next day it opened all the waves resampled, besides one, it seems that it didnt save any changes that I did, it kept the cuts, but as content it use the original file. I dont know if it is important, but only this particular wave was located on SD card, I didnt pay attention, because I thought that it wil save the changes virtually anyway.  however it didnt. Are there any chances to restore the modified wave?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the problem that you are suffering doesn't really have anything to do with the original problems posted above. You will probably get a better response if you can post your problem as a new Topic in a thread of it's own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I cannot believe that in 10 years this has not been adequately addressed. I didn't particularly appreciate using Adobe Audition and have only begun to use it because I'm now working on a podcast. Coming from the visual side of the Adobe Creative Suite, I'm used to After Effects and Premiere Pro. I wonder why Audition doesn't function more like After Effects, or even Premiere Pro when managing files, sessions, and CD layouts. I'd love to create a project file, create a bunch of sessions to handle my interviews, then combine them in a master session where I can do any final tweaks to the audio, add music, and intro/outro segments. The current workflow in Audition to do this is, and there is no other way to say this, a true cluster#*@%.

In my AE example, the project would be a file to manage everything in your podcast or album. Sessions and CD layouts would be a lot like comps; this way you would organize an entire album or podcast in a project and quickly jump between songs or interviews/segments. Everything else would be imported "footage" that you would organize however you wanted. There should also be a tabbed interface so it's easier to see what files are open and easily switch between them. The "files" palette is pure garbage for this sort of thing, especially since you can apparently close a file down and offline it in your multitrack session, and there's not even a simple way to figure out which tracks belong to which files. At least in AE I can right-click a layer in my comp and have it show me where the source exists in my project.

This app is sorely in need of an entire UI overhaul. While you're at it, make it possible to roundtrip between Premiere Pro/After Effects and Audition more efficiently so I don't have to redo everything just because a client wants to change something last minute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines